2020 Turkish Grand Prix - Instanbul Park, Nov 13 - 15

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
SiLo

Re: 2020 Turkish Grand Prix - Instanbul Park, Nov 13 - 15

hollus wrote:
13 Nov 2020, 18:30
Isn't it the same asphalt for everyone? Its an evolving situation, it is a challenge, and in the end the combination of the fastest and the most skilled and adaptable team/driver should win. Why are we whining? Wasn't impredictability a good thing? This is not a random SC, this is now open for everyone to see on friday.
If people like it, then maybe we can just randomly spray water all over the track because the cars grip less.
Felipe Baby!

Moore77

SiLo wrote:
13 Nov 2020, 19:26
hollus wrote:
Isn't it the same asphalt for everyone? Its an evolving situation, it is a challenge, and in the end the combination of the fastest and the most skilled and adaptable team/driver should win. Why are we whining? Wasn't impredictability a good thing? This is not a random SC, this is now open for everyone to see on friday.
If people like it, then maybe we can just randomly spray water all over the track because the cars grip less.
That's Bernie's sprinklers idea. What the audiences really want, is that the cars a handful to drive on a track and unpredictability of who gets on top of it. Unfortunately, there are no easy solutions. If every track were to be what it was today in Istanbul, teams and drivers get used to it and adapt their preparations and nothing looks out of the ordinary. Tracks, tires, conditions, no practice. You name it and if those are consistent parameters, teams have smart people that bring solutions to make it look easy. It's just when these things happen out of the blue, is when it all looks exciting. The fact that, even Pirelli didn't know the track surface would be redone, says, there was lack of communication and everyone was caught off guard.
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.

PlatinumZealot

hollus wrote:
Agreed. Much needed adversity to shake things up.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

SiLo

PlatinumZealot wrote:
13 Nov 2020, 19:40
hollus wrote:
Agreed. Much needed adversity to shake things up.
No it isn't. A rubber band over the much larger issues the sport currently has is pointless.
Felipe Baby!

Mogster

FP1 was ridiculous, FP2 was a bit better. The cars looked so slow, slower than they do in the wet, a family member who very casually watches the races even remarked “are these F1 cars”...

This is not the way forward.

zibby43

hollus wrote:
I agree wholeheartedly with everything you said, with one (albeit slightly significant) caveat.

I want to see the cars going fast and not tip-toeing around Turn 8. I want to see the cars going fast, period. Or we may as well just have a karting event this weekend, so we can at least see some machinery being used to full potential.

dans79

zibby43 wrote:
13 Nov 2020, 20:28
I want to see the cars going fast and not tip-toeing around Turn 8. I want to see the cars going fast, period. Or we may as well just have a karting event this weekend, so we can at least see some machinery being used to full potential.
As it stands I would say we are verging on conditions that are unsafe to race in when you consider the temperature, the track surface, and the tires.

We will be lucky to not have a massive pile up some place on lap 1.
197 104 103 7

Big Tea

zibby43 wrote:
hollus wrote:
I agree wholeheartedly with everything you said, with one (albeit slightly significant) caveat.

But if the cars just go as fast as they can all the time, there is not so much skill in that is there.
Like being a train driver on the bends (not having a go at train drivers lol)
That is one of the skills they are supposed to have.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

dtro

Hard tires and a recently resurfaced track. I know they haven't had much time to learn from Portimao but would it be crazy to bring softer tires at very least? Edit: Apparently Pirelli found out too late. #-o

Why was the track resurfaced in the first place?
Last edited by dtro on 13 Nov 2020, 22:07, edited 1 time in total.

Ft5fTL

Image dunno what to say.
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

Wouter

In the meanwhile in Turkey, they are driving road cars around the track to make the track less slipery.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The Power of Dreams!

Mogster

Big Tea wrote:
13 Nov 2020, 20:41
zibby43 wrote:
hollus wrote:

But if the cars just go as fast as they can all the time, there is not so much skill in that is there.
Like being a train driver on the bends (not having a go at train drivers lol)
That is one of the skills they are supposed to have.
The cars/tyres clearly weren’t designed for this temperature and surface. If you haven’t watched the start of FP1 then you can’t understand. Cars were just under steering wildly at quite low speeds and snapping into violent oversteer. Everyone was tiptoeing round, it wasn’t fun to watch. The pit wall engineers were telling the drivers the tyres were 20°+ outside the window.

Chandhok actually said that inters would probably have been better, and it was easy to believe.

Wouter wrote:
13 Nov 2020, 21:18
In the meanwhile in Turkey, they are driving road cars around the track to make the track less slipery.

Amateur hour, the powers-that-be never skip an opportunity to demonstrate incompetence. Pathetic
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

MtthsMlw

Ah yes the pinnacle of motorsport

Shrieker

214270 wrote:
13 Nov 2020, 21:23
Wouter wrote:
13 Nov 2020, 21:18

Amateur hour, the powers-that-be never skip an opportunity to demonstrate incompetence. Pathetic
I don't know whether I should feel amused or ashamed :oops: With that said, I would've loved to offer my services for free :P
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk