2020 Turkish Grand Prix - Instanbul Park, Nov 13 - 15

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Wouter

Re: 2020 Turkish Grand Prix - Instanbul Park, Nov 13 - 15

NathanOlder wrote:
22 Nov 2020, 12:28
NathanOlder wrote:
22 Nov 2020, 10:50
I have a question about the Albon photo. Does it not look like Max has a normal amount of wing in the background?
I'm not doubting they adjusted the front wing incorrectly , but it seems like in a weeks time there will be photos of Max's car without a front wing at all. As someone else mentioned, why didnt RedBull spot this with the sensors ? The driver should have been made aware if it was such an issue.
Why did Max have to be aware of this? He kept indicating that something was wrong, he felt that while driving, but they only found out after the race where it had gone wrong.
What's the point of going on about this? Now focus on Bahrain.
The Power of Dreams!

e30ernest

Wouter wrote:
22 Nov 2020, 13:11
Why did Max have to be aware of this? He kept indicating that something was wrong, he felt that while driving, but they only found out after the race where it had gone wrong.
To me this is weird. These cars are laden with sensors so they know if they start losing downforce, or if there is an imbalance from aero loads. So it's weird they did not catch it. If they did catch it, then it is also strange they did not swap the wings out.

NathanOlder

Wouter wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:
22 Nov 2020, 10:50
I have a question about the Albon photo. Does it not look like Max has a normal amount of wing in the background?
I'm not doubting they adjusted the front wing incorrectly , but it seems like in a weeks time there will be photos of Max's car without a front wing at all. As someone else mentioned, why didnt RedBull spot this with the sensors ? The driver should have been made aware if it was such an issue.
If the wing was causing any issues, RedBull should have spotted it, then had the crew ready to get it sorted in the next pit stop. All I'm saying is, why didnt they ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Wouter

NathanOlder wrote:
22 Nov 2020, 13:55
Wouter wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:

If the wing was causing any issues, RedBull should have spotted it, then had the crew ready to get it sorted in the next pit stop. All I'm saying is, why didnt they ?
Red Bull monitors everything about the car, both with the naked eye and using sensors.
“I do wonder why the team did not notice it”, says Van den Heijkant, aerodinamologist. “They still have the data at their disposal. Then it could have been adjusted at the second stop. Although it may be that these data have been less reliable due to the weather conditions. ”
The Power of Dreams!

hollus

They might have a front load measurement, but they would not have separate sensors for front left and front right loads, at least not at wing level. The overall front load might have been about normal in average, and only out of whack in the corners. Hard to spot in changeable conditions with more ground clearance than in any calibration run.
Rivals, not enemies.

SiLo

hollus wrote:
22 Nov 2020, 14:25
They might have a front load measurement, but they would not have separate sensors for front left and front right loads, at least not at wing level. The overall front load might have been about normal in average, and only out of whack in the corners. Hard to spot in changeable conditions with more ground clearance than in any calibration run.
They absolutely have load sensors that could detect this. I remember during a Merc factory tour they said they had sensors in the elements so they knew specifically which element had an issue.
Felipe Baby!

PlatinumZealot

To me it doesnt matter.

RedBull did not notice it and Max did not notice it.

Means it had no effect. The car was going slow anyway in the rain. The fastest speed they went was 170mph on the back straight and through the corners they were maybe 90mph. Nothing of concern. Max didn't even feel any weird imbalance to report. He was the fastest on track and carving it up like a Turkish shish-kebab.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

Something i noticed here..

Tyre wear really came to a grinding halt. The one stop wear looks the same as the two stop wear, at least on the fronts. Look at Ferrari and Merc tyres similar wear bands.

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Just_a_fan

PlatinumZealot wrote:
22 Nov 2020, 17:51

Tyre wear really came to a grinding halt. The one stop wear looks the same as the two stop wear, at least on the fronts. Look at Ferrari and Merc tyres similar wear bands.
Isn't this just showing the difference between the cars. Mercedes are kind to the tyres - they took time to warm the tyres all weekend. Ferrari are able to heat their tyres much quicker and of course that also means they wore them quicker.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

PlatinumZealot

Just_a_fan wrote:
22 Nov 2020, 21:14
PlatinumZealot wrote:

Isn't this just showing the difference between the cars. Mercedes are kind to the tyres - they took time to warm the tyres all weekend. Ferrari are able to heat their tyres much quicker and of course that also means they wore them quicker.
The contact patches look similar at least. So the kinematics were not much different. One could say even the tyre pressures were not far off either. I feel the strategist should have decided to leave Vettel on the track.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Just_a_fan

PlatinumZealot wrote:
23 Nov 2020, 00:18
Just_a_fan wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

The contact patches look similar at least. So the kinematics were not much different. One could say even the tyre pressures were not far off either. I feel the strategist should have decided to leave Vettel on the track.
Vettel's tyres had done 25 laps compared to Hamilton's 50 laps and they look the same. Do you think Vettel's tyres would have looked like that after another 25 laps? Really?

Moore77

Just_a_fan wrote:
23 Nov 2020, 00:37
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

Vettel's tyres had done 25 laps compared to Hamilton's 50 laps and they look the same. Do you think Vettel's tyres would have looked like that after another 25 laps? Really?
How do you it wouldn't have looked the same or better? It was a race of unknowns for everyone. Traditional wisdom of measuring the tyres by the look of it was useless. Heck, even all of their simulation data turned out to be junk. One stopper and going longer turned out to be more fruitful than usual change for new tyres for "better grip".
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.

Mogster

Moore77 wrote:
23 Nov 2020, 13:33
Just_a_fan wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

How do you it wouldn't have looked the same or better? It was a race of unknowns for everyone. Traditional wisdom of measuring the tyres by the look of it was useless. Heck, even all of their simulation data turned out to be junk. One stopper and going longer turned out to be more fruitful than usual change for new tyres for "better grip".
The pit entry/exit was very slippery. If you didn’t have an incident it was still slowing down pit stops. The chance of a China 2007 type incident was high, Lewis said he said that was part of his decision not to pit.

Just_a_fan

Moore77 wrote:
23 Nov 2020, 13:33
Just_a_fan wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

Vettel's tyres look the same after 25 laps as Hamilton's did after 50 laps. They were unlikely to look better if they'd also done 50 laps would they?

The Mercs are known to be easier on the tyres than Ferrari this year - something they've worked hard on. Hamilton has also worked on tyre life over the years and is now one of the best in that regard.

The likelihood is that the Ferrari's tyres wouldn't have been in as good a shape as the Mercedes's tyres because they have generally been worse over the season to date. That basic comparison between how the cars work their tyres is unlikely to have been suddenly reversed even by the unusual conditions in Turkey.

Sieper

PlatinumZealot wrote:
22 Nov 2020, 17:49
To me it doesnt matter.

RedBull did not notice it and Max did not notice it.

Means it had no effect. The car was going slow anyway in the rain. The fastest speed they went was 170mph on the back straight and through the corners they were maybe 90mph. Nothing of concern. Max didn't even feel any weird imbalance to report. He was the fastest on track and carving it up like a Turkish shish-kebab.
I have watched the general television broadcast only (all sessions) and Max had been reporting understeer all weekend. He also wondered why he was not able to even keep up with the Mclaren's (I think that was stint in in Q1) or maybe during FP3, don't remember but that was what was broadcasted in the TV feed for everyone to hear. How did you come to the conclusion Max did not notice anything?