2020 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina Circuit, Dec 11 - 13

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Wil992

Re: 2020 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina Circuit, Dec 11 - 13

El Scorchio wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 13:29
Wil992 wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 13:20
What’s the official line on when we will hear about Hamilton’s participation? I assume there’s a deadline by which they will need to decide whether he’s able to race?
I believe officially- unless they bend the rules for him, which let's face it could happen- he's not even allowed to enter the country in time for the race due to the timing of him getting ill.

I could be wrong though.

If that were no problem, I think someone mentioned that the latest he can get into the car is for qualifying, although he'd be at a pretty big disadvantage with zero setup and running, so is it even worth his while?
I think there’s 2 things.
One set of rules laid down by fia, ie what are the regs around when driver line ups have to be confirmed, and I’d guess they have some flexibility in them, eg a driver crashes and is injured in qualy, could the reserve driver enter the race, etc?
Another set of rules is the covid restrictions around travel and quarantine for ppl who’ve tested positive.
Thinking about it, there’s probably also a further set of rules set out by race organisers around covid protocols above and beyond local laws?
It’s a minefield.

El Scorchio

Wil992 wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 13:58
El Scorchio wrote:
Wil992 wrote:
What’s the official line on when we will hear about Hamilton’s participation? I assume there’s a deadline by which they will need to decide whether he’s able to race?
I believe officially- unless they bend the rules for him, which let's face it could happen- he's not even allowed to enter the country in time for the race due to the timing of him getting ill.

I could be wrong though.

If that were no problem, I think someone mentioned that the latest he can get into the car is for qualifying, although he'd be at a pretty big disadvantage with zero setup and running, so is it even worth his while?
One set of rules laid down by fia, ie what are the regs around when driver line ups have to be confirmed, and I’d guess they have some flexibility in them, eg a driver crashes and is injured in qualy, could the reserve driver enter the race, etc?
Another set of rules is the covid restrictions around travel and quarantine for ppl who’ve tested positive.
Thinking about it, there’s probably also a further set of rules set out by race organisers around covid protocols above and beyond local laws?
It’s a minefield.
It's a huge minefield! Totally agree RE: all the things you've mentioned. I think if I were him it might not be worth attending given the circumstances but you are right about the mind of a racer/champion. He will want to. Just look at Grosjean wanting to race if he possibly could!

It'll be an interesting race whoever is sitting in that Mercedes!

nzjrs

Wil992 wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 13:58
El Scorchio wrote:
Wil992 wrote:

I could be wrong though.

It’s a minefield.
Good point. I kind of lean towards him not racing because it seems to me that FIA/FOM have studiously followed both their own and the host country rules through the season - as though they made a conscious effort to appear fair and not favored or given (too)special treatment by countries.

I suspect they might continue to do this an therefor not ask for special favors because of the political backlash and backlash from other countries/promoters.

Shrieker

nzjrs wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 14:33
I suspect they might continue to do this an therefor not ask for special favors because of the political backlash and backlash from other countries/promoters.
What's the law regarding quarantine period for the UAE ? If it's two weeks as per standard, I think it should be respected as you suggested and Russell be announced for the final race.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Big Tea

What ever the rule, I would like to see Russell have another drive with Merc. Hamilton has little to gain except one more win, and he can not create any records before year end.
Russell could do a lot of good for Merc and Williams with another outstanding drive.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

SiLo

Shrieker wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 15:00
nzjrs wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 14:33
What's the law regarding quarantine period for the UAE ? If it's two weeks as per standard, I think it should be respected as you suggested and Russell be announced for the final race.
Depends on his COVID tests most likely. If he starts returned them in time he can race. Quarantine is really for people that cannot afford daily tests.
Felipe Baby!

Shrieker

Big Tea wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 15:03
What ever the rule, I would like to see Russell have another drive with Merc. Hamilton has little to gain except one more win, and he can not create any records before year end.
Russell could do a lot of good for Merc and Williams with another outstanding drive.
Logically, Merc should be pleased to see how well he fares against Bottas one more time on a different track; it would benefit them in the long run.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Shrieker

SiLo wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 15:07
Depends on his COVID tests most likely. If he starts returned them in time he can race. Quarantine is really for people that cannot afford daily tests.
I mean, maybe the law says 'two weeks quarantine no ifs and buts if you've tested positive', regardless of negative test results.
-Atatürk

basti313

Shrieker wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 15:08
SiLo wrote:
I mean, maybe the law says 'two weeks quarantine no ifs and buts if you've tested positive', regardless of negative test results.
I do not think local law plays any role this weekend. As far as F1 is concerned, the agreement with the locals is that they stay inside their "bubble" and all usual rules are removed.
Also from the point of testing...the PCR test F1 uses is the most insensitive one can get. So there is a realistic chance that he tests negative few days after symptoms or positive test result as we have seen it with Perez and Stroll. With a sensitive test you can forget to test negative even two weeks after symptoms end.
The big question is rather how does he feel, does he still have symptoms?
I fear they keep super quiet on everything just for the reason, that his current symptom status would never result in a negative test if it is a good test...but they hope for a negative result in the insensitive F1 test.

So most probably no one can tell at the moment who will be in the faster Merc this weekend.
Don`t russel the hamster!

SiLo

basti313 wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 15:18
Shrieker wrote:
SiLo wrote:
I do not think local law plays any role this weekend. As far as F1 is concerned, the agreement with the locals is that they stay inside their "bubble" and all usual rules are removed.
Also from the point of testing...the PCR test F1 uses is the most insensitive one can get. So there is a realistic chance that he tests negative few days after symptoms or positive test result as we have seen it with Perez and Stroll. With a sensitive test you can forget to test negative even two weeks after symptoms end.
The big question is rather how does he feel, does he still have symptoms?
I fear they keep super quiet on everything just for the reason, that his current symptom status would never result in a negative test if it is a good test...but they hope for a negative result in the insensitive F1 test.

So most probably no one can tell at the moment who will be in the faster Merc this weekend.
Faster merc tickled me :lol:
Felipe Baby!

Zynerji

Wil992 wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 13:54
El Scorchio wrote:
Wil992 wrote:

I could be wrong though.

Personally, I can’t see why it’s worth his while even thinking about turning up. Championship(S) all done and dusted, nothing to prove in this race, start his Xmas holiday early.
But i suspect this attitude is one of the many reasons I’m not a multi world champ and he is.
Hes only like 13 laps led away from the all time record.... He may want to scoop that one up as well if he can.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

El Scorchio

Shrieker wrote:
SiLo wrote:
That was my understanding of the way it was mentioned by someone else as well. Which would mean he can't.
I do wonder if they'd bend the rules for him though. Guess we'll find out in the next couple of days!

PlatinumZealot

Hamilton has surfaced. He will be in Abudhabi it seems.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Scorpaguy

PlatinumZealot wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 19:35
Hamilton has surfaced. He will be in Abudhabi it seems.
Ham will either race or shoot GR (if he has not already kissed, hugged, and breathed all over him)!