2020 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina Circuit, Dec 11 - 13

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Mogster

Re: 2020 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina Circuit, Dec 11 - 13

Mchamilton wrote:
10 Dec 2020, 10:46
Moore77 wrote:
10 Dec 2020, 06:03
Why is Mercedes not taking a decision on who is driving this weekend? For now, they have confirmed Russell on duty for media events for Thursday. Still waiting on Hamilton's report. Someone doesn't want more humiliation for Bottas I guess.

As per news report, all Hamilton needs to do from a driving perspective to be allowed to take part in the Abu Dhabi GP is participate in a practice session or qualifying. For that, he must clear a negative test in Bahrain, travel to Abu Dhabi and isolate until another COVID test comes back negative before Saturday evening.
lewis needs to return 4 consecutive negative tests to be grantin access into abu dhabi, according to autosport
I thought F1 this weekend is in its “biosphere”where the circus doesn’t have contact with the outside world though. I wouldn’t be surprised if they say the normal Abu Dhabi rules don’t apply. After all the team personnel have been moving in and out of the UK for months in contravention of the wider UK coronavirus regulations. As I understand it they have a UK travel isolation exemption for race weekends because of the measures F1 is taking.

El Scorchio

Mchamilton wrote:
10 Dec 2020, 10:46
Moore77 wrote:
10 Dec 2020, 06:03
Why is Mercedes not taking a decision on who is driving this weekend? For now, they have confirmed Russell on duty for media events for Thursday. Still waiting on Hamilton's report. Someone doesn't want more humiliation for Bottas I guess.

As per news report, all Hamilton needs to do from a driving perspective to be allowed to take part in the Abu Dhabi GP is participate in a practice session or qualifying. For that, he must clear a negative test in Bahrain, travel to Abu Dhabi and isolate until another COVID test comes back negative before Saturday evening.
lewis needs to return 4 consecutive negative tests to be grantin access into abu dhabi, according to autosport
Exactly what I've heard too- it's not his health that's the problem. It's Abu Dhabi's (quite rightly so if they want to be strict) rules on entering the country. I'd think he probably doesn't meet the criteria but they are trying to get him special dispensation. If he were not physically looking able to drive then they'd have already said something. I think they are probably negotiating with the AD authorities, which is the real obstacle.

bosyber
bosyber

Yep, it might be that Hamilton can get some kind of special dispensation, but in general (and esp. for a country with quite a few who might be part of an 'elite') having strong rules with exceptions for things other than health and/or safety, is asking for it to not work, so I can certainly understand if that's a hard sell and takes effort. Provided (and let's hope so) he is free of COVID-19, of course

Mogster

Haven't F1 had “special dispensation” from most of the countries they’ve raced in?

I’m sure if he hasn’t produced negative PCR tests for a couple of days then it won’t even be considered. Perez was still returning positive PCR tests for some days it seemed.

Wouter

After returning to the F1 paddock for last weekend's Sakhir Grand Prix, Binotto is understood to have become ill while he was still in Bahrain, and will fly directly back to Italy.

Team sources have assured Autosport that Binotto has not contracted COVID-19, but is instead suffering from a simple indisposition.

It means the reins for the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix weekend will be again handed over to Ferrari F1 sporting director, Laurent Mekies.
The Power of Dreams!

El Scorchio

Wouter wrote:
10 Dec 2020, 13:45

After returning to the F1 paddock for last weekend's Sakhir Grand Prix, Binotto is understood to have become ill while he was still in Bahrain, and will fly directly back to Italy.

Team sources have assured Autosport that Binotto has not contracted COVID-19, but is instead suffering from a simple indisposition.

It means the reins for the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix weekend will be again handed over to Ferrari F1 sporting director, Laurent Mekies.
Hmmmmmmm.....
Not sure I'm buying this one. Maybe something (non medical) is going on behind the scenes...

Gerhardsa

So its Thursday already and we've not heard anything about Hamilton ability to race this weekend. Why are they leaving it so late?

Sieper

Just saw a picture of the paddock of Williams having a GR63 banner and Mercedes the LH44.

basti313
basti313

Gerhardsa wrote:
10 Dec 2020, 16:01
So its Thursday already and we've not heard anything about Hamilton ability to race this weekend. Why are they leaving it so late?
They will run a test tomorrow morning if he is not cleared yet. Even if he is still in Bahrain (what I doubt), he is in 2h at the track if necessary. FP1 is local time 1pm, right?
Don`t russel the hamster!

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

LM10
LM10

Sieper wrote:
10 Dec 2020, 16:06
Just saw a picture of the paddock of Williams having a GR63 banner and Mercedes the LH44.
Of course because that's the usual banner.

Sieper

LM10 wrote:
10 Dec 2020, 16:56
Sieper wrote:
10 Dec 2020, 16:06
Of course because that's the usual banner.
Did you hear me make any drastic conclusions? I know this is the usual banner but last week the Merc box had a GR63 banner, and so far this weekend not (yet).

dans79

Moore77 wrote:
10 Dec 2020, 08:01
Are you saying, they would be inconsiderate towards the health suffering of their driver? You think they expect him to drive half fit, because they pay 2.5 million per race? Well, that doesn't go well with their brand, if you are saying what they are doing is right. Besides, that is putting the life of the employee into a big risk and with that, potentially that of the other drivers around him on the track if he ends up making a mistake in a "not fully fit" situation. If I am leading that team, I would ask my precious asset to take good care of himself and come back to work when he is fully fit, especially having done the job required for the season by winning both championships. Don't see a point of asking him to come to work, even if the employee is willing to work, I would be more compassionate to not let him work and insist him on taking good rest.

If Lewis is good to race, they are going to want him in the car. He is valuable to the team for reasons besides his ability to win races. Not to mention that just because the championships are done, doesn't mean all the important work is done for the season.
197 104 103 7

Sieper

Also, if Mercedes is set on continuing with Bottas as the other mercedes driver for next year, what would be the benefit of having George in the car. It could potentially only make it harder to defend that choice and the contract is signed already. If Lewis is fit to drive (and is able to comply with the covid regulations) he will drive, as any other driver he would like his seat back.

Moore77

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/merc ... =widget-22

Mercedes made "minor" car changes to help Russell fit better
When asked by Motorsport.com if Mercedes had made any changes to help him fit better in the W11 regardless of whether he races, Russell explained that the short turnaround time between the last two races of the season meant "we've made some minor modifications".

He added: "But there's only a limited amount of things you can do in the short period of time that we've had.

"And ultimately a lot more work needs to go in to get me comfortable in the car.

"We've got some slightly different things on the steering wheel, which makes things easier for me.

"So that is positive. But having had a race weekend in the car, everything should feel more natural."
Russell on his last race.
"Valtteri was pushing me the whole way from Friday onwards, put it on pole and then pushed me throughout the race as well.
Wait, where have we heard that before? :D
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.