2025/2026 Hybrid Powerunit speculation

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Big Tea

Re: 2025/2026 Hybrid Powerunit speculation

mzso wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 13:23
Big Tea wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 12:53
There have been youtube articles and papers of dozens of new designs but none seem to actually become reality. we are wasting the opportunity to test something that could ( have ) replaced the otto cycle ICE with something more efficient and have an alternative to Electric or Hydrogen, which seems to be the Hobsons choice now.
I very much doubt so. Anything ICE won't go much past 50%, in ideal circumstances.
(Also, hydrogen is pretty much vaporware. Way too wasteful and problematic to produce, handle and use.)
Its the things we have not thought of because there is no 'pigeon hole' for them that could be the very ones that could be the real key. No one is going to produce and develop something with no gain from it, this would at least give a place to try an option. Look how many years turbo was discarded. Almost everything has one now, partly due to it being developed and demonstrated in F1
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

mzso
mzso

wuzak wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 13:32
mzso wrote:
Big Tea wrote:
There have been youtube articles and papers of dozens of new designs but none seem to actually become reality. we are wasting the opportunity to test something that could ( have ) replaced the otto cycle ICE with something more efficient and have an alternative to Electric or Hydrogen, which seems to be the Hobsons choice now.
I very much doubt so. Anything ICE won't go much past 50%, in ideal circumstances.
(Also, hydrogen is pretty much vaporware. Way too wasteful and problematic to produce, handle and use.)
The 2025/2026 rules are proposing using synthetic fuel. Which requires hydrogen to be produced in order to create the synthetic hydrocarbon. Though the handling and using side of the equation is easier than using straight hydrogen.
Since when? I'm quite sure the FIA boldly claimed they developed a process to make bio-fuel from unused waste. Hydrogen does not come into play.
Even if they were doing some sort of chemical synthesis, why would they need pure hydrogen? No reason that I see.

mzso
mzso

Big Tea wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 15:17
mzso wrote:
Big Tea wrote:
Its the things we have not thought of because there is no 'pigeon hole' for them that could be the very ones that could be the real key. No one is going to produce and develop something with no gain from it, this would at least give a place to try an option. Look how many years turbo was discarded. Almost everything has one now, partly due to it being developed and demonstrated in F1
Not sure which part you're responding to. Bu hydrogen has hard physical limitations, that cannot be engineered around. It's storage/transport will always be troublesome. It's efficiency in a fuel cell may be improved, but its use in an engine is nonsensical.

As for ICE it's also limited by a physical barrier the Carnot limit. To which they got admirable close to in F1. As such there's little to no efficiency to be gained.

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

From all I have read, I got the idea, that the 2026 synthetic fuel is not bio based. But more like a drop-in gasoline, with the same C-H parts like fossil fuel has now. But then made from captured carbon and green hydrogen.

Big Tea

mzso wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 21:00
Big Tea wrote:
mzso wrote:

Not sure which part you're responding to. Bu hydrogen has hard physical limitations, that cannot be engineered around. It's storage/transport will always be troublesome. It's efficiency in a fuel cell may be improved, but its use in an engine is nonsensical.

As for ICE it's also limited by a physical barrier the Carnot limit. To which they got admirable close to in F1. As such there's little to no efficiency to be gained.
What I mean is why limit it to Hydrogen? There can be lots of alternatives all with some drawbacks and some advantages. For instance, SpaceX is using Methane in its rockets ( with oxy admittedly ), but that is what is available where they want to go.

There are options that are not viable on road vehicles, but are for other uses.

mzso
mzso

NL_Fer wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 21:27
From all I have read, I got the idea, that the 2026 synthetic fuel is not bio based. But more like a drop-in gasoline, with the same C-H parts like fossil fuel has now. But then made from captured carbon and green hydrogen.
Well, they explicitly said unused waste, but they did claim it was drop-in as far as octane number goes. I never saw they claim it was identical chemically.

mzso
mzso

Big Tea wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 21:58
What I mean is why limit it to Hydrogen? There can be lots of alternatives all with some drawbacks and some advantages. For instance, SpaceX is using Methane in its rockets ( with oxy admittedly ), but that is what is available where they want to go.

Why specify anything? Just set an engine development cost cap and a power limit, and let them do whatever they want. From electric motors to gas turbines.

Ultimately I think fuel cells fueled with some simpler alkanes would suit F1 best. Considering performance and the desire for electrification.

Big Tea

mzso wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 22:45
Big Tea wrote:

Why specify anything? Just set an engine development cost cap and a power limit, and let them do whatever they want. From electric motors to gas turbines.

Ultimately I think fuel cells fueled with some simpler alkanes would suit F1 best. Considering performance and the desire for electrification.
That is what I was trying to say. There has to be rules to give it a similar performance celling to the 'standard' F1 engine, but otherwise bring what you got. 2stroke diesel Wankel steam clockwork or elastic.

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

mzso wrote:
Ultimately I think fuel cells fueled with some simpler alkanes would suit F1 best...
have they now been made to work ?

Big Tea

Tommy Cookers wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 23:09
mzso wrote:
Ultimately I think fuel cells fueled with some simpler alkanes would suit F1 best...
Have F1 engineers worked on them :evil: (sorry)

Stu

mzso wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

…that ticks so many boxes for future development that could help with transferable tech into road cars, it nails the two most important factors concerning engine development, both of which are measurable AND capable of being regulated.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Big Tea wrote:
Look how many years turbo was discarded. Almost everything has one now, partly due to it being developed and demonstrated in F1
The take up of road car turbos doesn't have anything to do with F1, it's driven by emissions and efficiency requirements set out in legislation.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

mzso
mzso

Tommy Cookers wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 23:09
mzso wrote:
They always worked. Fore example: http://web.archive.org/web/202006102329 ... W-TOPS-120
Is it mature? Certainly not. Surely seriously underdeveloped. Someone needs to invest substantial effort for that.
But that would be the main actual use of F1. Develop new and useful technology.

mzso
mzso

Stu wrote:
29 Jul 2022, 08:46
…that ticks so many boxes for future development that could help with transferable tech into road cars, it nails the two most important factors concerning engine development, both of which are measurable AND capable of being regulated.
Sadly it seems to boil down to comparing the interests of the parties at play, and then arguing, lobbying and manipulating about them.

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

mzso wrote:
29 Jul 2022, 10:39
Stu wrote:
29 Jul 2022, 08:46
Sadly it seems to boil down to comparing the interests of the parties at play, and then arguing, lobbying and manipulating about them.
Boil down like whale oil? That's so last millennium, but yeah, seems you've got it, its now about - THE BIG SHOW!

Of course additional 'lip-service' being paid to whatever 'image-presentation/perception' is duly to be deemed a
needful sop for any such 'pressure-group' based 'virtue-signal' requirements, as maybe, ah.. thrown up.

No longer can 'mere technical facts' - be allowed to - 'cloud the issue'...
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).