2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
littlebigcat

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

Also, if money is needed I think the third team owner would be capable of handing it out from the lost change in his sofa

jknights

NathanOlder wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 09:42
After all this, the only thing that happens is Leclerc gets a 10 second penalty himself. For overtaking under a yellow :lol:

Bottas then promoted to 2nd and Mercedes gain 3 points :lol:
That would really upset RedBull. I also think it would be unreasonable but then I think this current review is unreasonable but it is allowed.
Somebody just needs to tell them to get on with life. They had some questionable decisions when Vettel was winning.

WaikeCU

Jolle wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 16:44
WaikeCU wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 16:32
Not sure if this is completely true, but I think my mate who works in the automobile industry told me that Merc management in Stuttgart weren't ready to fund for a lot of the updates this season as the momentum in development had already shifted towards 2022. Because of that Toto had to fund it himself, so there were rumours he has sold quite a lot of his unique cars just to able to fund these upgrades on the cars this season.
I presume if Toto Wolff, with his team, after seven world championships are questioned like that by a higher management over internal shifts in their budget, they all quit on the spot.

so I don't think that its true.
Hmm yeah, it sounded too outrageous in my ears as well

El Scorchio

b2bL44 wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 07:30

This is all just chest beating from Red Bull. They'll be in and out of that meeting with the FiA and make up some more nonsense about how unfair the world is.
I'm inclined to agree. It's just politics and mind games, getting into the heads of the decision makers. If they make a big deal of how unfair this is and lay certain things on thick, then maybe they've planted a subconscious seed in certain people's minds for a favourable outcome next time.

And of course it never helps to present yourself to the world as the courageous underdog good guys fighting the evil empire!

Big Tea

You walk into a shop and are faced with a wall of soft drinks, or someone shouts over 'what you having' if you have not considered it, usually the first thing you say is what is in your mind from being blasted. What do Red Bull sell?
No such ting as bad publicity. Not sure F1 is that involved any longer

You walk into a Merc dealer and you have a fair idea of what you want.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Just_a_fan

Their marketing doesn't work on me. The only time I drink one of their drinks is when I'm driving long distance, want caffeine but don't fancy a coffee. Then, because it's a small can and thus doesn't take long to knock it back, I can just about face a Red Bull. But it's got to be properly ice cold so I can't taste it too much.

Quite how people can drink the stuff otherwise is beyond me. But then I'm the same with McDonalds - it's calories if there's nothing else available.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Jolle

Big Tea wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 17:15
You walk into a shop and are faced with a wall of soft drinks, or someone shouts over 'what you having' if you have not considered it, usually the first thing you say is what is in your mind from being blasted. What do Red Bull sell?
No such ting as bad publicity. Not sure F1 is that involved any longer

You walk into a Merc dealer and you have a fair idea of what you want.
In their marketing it’s the same “problem”. First the make you want to buy a drink/car and then the choice of a RedBull or Mercedes. The moments of that choice are just on slightly different times. For a RedBull it might be in a bar or supermarket, seeing other drinks as well. For a Mercedes the choice is made when you choose to which dealer you drive.

On a side note: that’s why Apple stores aren’t located around the usual computer store areas but around other luxury goods in the high street. So you skip a step (and go directly to buy an Apple) (other PC/mobile manufacturers adopted this strategy since then)

Big Tea

Just_a_fan wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 17:28
Their marketing doesn't work on me. The only time I drink one of their drinks is when I'm driving long distance, want caffeine but don't fancy a coffee. Then, because it's a small can and thus doesn't take long to knock it back, I can just about face a Red Bull. But it's got to be properly ice cold so I can't taste it too much.

Quite how people can drink the stuff otherwise is beyond me. But then I'm the same with McDonalds - it's calories if there's nothing else available.
Same here. The only time I have a reaction to Red Bull is when we board a plane in 10 min and 'mom' comes back from the shop with giant cans for all the kids. Usually with something like plastic sledge hammers each too
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

dans79

atanatizante wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 15:15
I back you on that regarding Merc further races on this season for reading about Toto doing a cut out of his salary to have money for the essential and relevant aero upgrades. But I think it`s just a rumour for the reason that the top management salaries are not taking into account in the cost cap budget, isn`t it?
The drivers and the top 3 paid employees are excluded from the budget cap calculations. So, unless Merc has a really strange payroll, Toto's salary shouldn't have any effect on expenditures.
197 104 103 7

zibby43

Appeal by RBR dead in the water. Never even cleared the first threshold of new evidence.

This article details what RBR attempted to use as new evidence:

https://www.racefans.net/2021/07/29/red ... collision/

Apparently, judging by what they did use, RBR’s fancy attorneys (if they did in fact utilize them) didn’t read and understand the relevant rules, specifically the critical distinction between “creating” and “discovering” new evidence.

The farcical, bad-faith attempts at using the right of review need to stop. The year RBR used it to get Hamilton a grid penalty in Austria? That was smart use of the ROR. This year? Not so much.

El Scorchio

zibby43 wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 20:15
Appeal by RBR dead in the water. Never even cleared the first threshold of new evidence.

Apparently, judging by what they did use, RBR’s fancy attorneys (if they did in fact utilize them) didn’t read and understand the relevant rules, specifically the critical distinction between “creating” and “discovering” new evidence.

The farcical, bad-faith attempts at using the right of review need to stop. The year RBR used it to get Hamilton a grid penalty in Austria? That was smart use of the ROR. This year? Not so much.
Red Bull submitted their request for a review to the stewards in a letter on Friday. “The stewards added they ‘note, with some concern, certain allegations made in the competitor’s above letter."

Interesting. I wonder what those were. RBR seem to be treading a fine line here.

zibby43

El Scorchio wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 20:34
zibby43 wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 20:15

Red Bull submitted their request for a review to the stewards in a letter on Friday. “The stewards added they ‘note, with some concern, certain allegations made in the competitor’s above letter."

Interesting. I wonder what those were. RBR seem to be treading a fine line here.
Same. I mean, everything they did was concerning: using a filming day with Albon to “create” new evidence? Using Sergio in the sim to do the same?

Making malicious allegations in a letter (potentially)? RBR have lost the plot and the public backlash on this was already getting bad. Now the whole F1 fanbase seems to be mocking them.

Not the sort of distractions a team needs when fighting for the title. Meanwhile Merc have just kept their mouths shut after all the antagonism and hateful rhetoric from Horner and Marko started.

zibby43

Shots fired!

MtthsMlw

Narrator: it didn't

SmallSoldier

WaikeCU wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 16:32
Not sure if this is completely true, but I think my mate who works in the automobile industry told me that Merc management in Stuttgart weren't ready to fund for a lot of the updates this season as the momentum in development had already shifted towards 2022. Because of that Toto had to fund it himself, so there were rumours he has sold quite a lot of his unique cars just to able to fund these upgrades on the cars this season.
Funding in which way? There is a cost cap… The team has a 145 million budget… They can’t be funded “beyond that point”… Mercedes was operating at 500 million already… There is no doubt that Mercedes has enough funding as is to be at the limit of the budget cap.

The updates wouldn’t need special funding… The team may have decided to use more of the budget cap towards the 2022 car and therefore not spend it on updates, but Toto wouldn’t be a selling anything for it… Pretty doubtful source.