2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
PhillipM
PhillipM

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

Because it costs a fortune to buy another engine.

El Scorchio

gcdugas wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 21:13
holeindalip wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 20:58
tpe wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 20:00
If the brought reliability updates to the engine, aren't the other teams informed about them?
I do believe that it's impossible to find 40bhp mid just like that. But if your engine can produce more up but for reliability reasons you restrict it, then yes, you can release the power since it doesn't need to last 7 races
40bhp is possible if they haven’t been able to run all out, the reliability updates fixed the issue so now they can run full beans all out without issue
Do you think that customer teams get the same "reliability upgrade" as Lewis? If so, and the rules mandate that customer engines are the exact same as factory engines, why haven't any customer teams changed engines "as a precaution" and seen similar performance increases? Especially McLaren as they have been losing ground to Ferrari in the Constructor's Championship over the exact same period... since Brazil.
Yea. By the rules the customer teams are offered access to exactly the same hardware and software.

JPower
JPower

El Scorchio wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 21:31
gcdugas wrote:
holeindalip wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 20:58

40bhp is possible if they haven’t been able to run all out, the reliability updates fixed the issue so now they can run full beans all out without issue
Do you think that customer teams get the same "reliability upgrade" as Lewis? If so, and the rules mandate that customer engines are the exact same as factory engines, why haven't any customer teams changed engines "as a precaution" and seen similar performance increases? Especially McLaren as they have been losing ground to Ferrari in the Constructor's Championship over the exact same period... since Brazil.
Yea. By the rules the customer teams are offered access to exactly the same hardware and software.
To add to this, its very possible Mercedes' water to air cooling system is better able to handle the increased demands of a higher state of tune than McLaren/Aston/Williams air to air systems, and prevents the customer teams from running a similar tune despite having it available to them.

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

search wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 20:32
did anyone see an article on Bottas' engine problems from last week? Were they able to fix the fuel leak?
It wasnt a leak, it was a pickup issue. They simply ran with slightly more fuel in for the remainder of qualifying

gcdugas

PhillipM wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 21:17
You are joking, right? It costs a far GREATER fortune for McLaren to go from 3rd to 4th in the Constructors Championship. This is why the FIA has rules that customer engines must be identical to factory engines. So the teams will not be disadvantaged. Look, I am NOT saying that Merc changed anything in the design, materials or are definitely cheating. I am calling attention to the very observable boost in performance they have had since the change and am openly wondering why. You on the other hand are closing your eyes to observable reality and making every excuse as to why this phenomena exists, and why only the Merc factory team is benefitting from it. Wake up. I'd be happy to hear a good reason but so far all I have heard is a bunch of blind fanboys spouting far fetched suppositions that don't make sense.

As far as the possibility of Merc having greater intake cooling efficiency, what major change good for approx 40 BHP have they made since Brazil?
Innovation over refinement is the prefered path to performance. -- Get rid of the dopey regs in F1

Jolle
Jolle

Mchamilton wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 21:37
search wrote:
did anyone see an article on Bottas' engine problems from last week? Were they able to fix the fuel leak?
It wasnt a leak, it was a pickup issue. They simply ran with slightly more fuel in for the remainder of qualifying
And was fixed in PF as was in the Parc Ferme document

dans79

gcdugas wrote:
Yes, because the rules require customers to have access to everything! The customer teams might not want to take the grid penalty.

Customer teams will never see the same benefit as the manufactures team. Alle the Engine manufactures tailor their engines to the design philosophy of their teams. Customer teams don't have the same level of integration, That's why Racing point shot up the order last year. They copied the Merc philosophy, and got all the benefits that came with it!
197 104 103 7

NathanOlder

gcdugas wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 20:44
NathanOlder wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 20:03

Its created the championship suspense! Without it Max would most likely have won the championship now. Brazil would have been a Max win and Lewis 3rd at best, so the point swing there would have been 17pts minimum! . Then you'd have to say Max would have won one of the races in Qatar or Saudi, which is another 14pts swing. So the title would have been finished.

Mercs PU has made this the best and most exciting finish for 10yrs.
Is this professional wrestling? Let's have the guy who is behind cheat [if it is cheating] so it goes down to the wire? Sorry but I can't respect your logic. But I can't shake my suspicions that there is a reason other than "degradation" that is responsible for Lewis being able to go from P20 to P5 in the sprint race in Brazil.
there is no cheat. What are you talking about?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

thestig84
thestig84

Jolle wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 21:40
Mchamilton wrote:
search wrote:
It was a fuel leak, in FP3. They changed to an older PU for qualy. It was then on the replacement PU that he had the pickup issue.
I dont know what condition the FP3 engine is in. I think it was fixable but they weren't sure how long to find it so just went for a full engine change. I guess it will be ok to use again this weekend.

search

Jolle wrote:
Mchamilton wrote:
search wrote:
thanks, but I was talking about the problem in FP3, with his newest engine (according to reports, similar to the one Hamilton got in Interlagos). For qualifying they brought in an older one instead. So that's two unrelated issues, as far as I can see.

gcdugas

thestig84 wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 22:06
Jolle wrote:
Mchamilton wrote:

It was a fuel leak, in FP3. They changed to an older PU for qualy. It was then on the replacement PU that he had the pickup issue.
I dont know what condition the FP3 engine is in. I think it was fixable but they weren't sure how long to find it so just went for a full engine change. I guess it will be ok to use again this weekend.
How does changing the PU have any effect on the fuel pickup in the fuel cell?

This is a forum where people have some rudimentary understanding of F1 car design, correct?
Innovation over refinement is the prefered path to performance. -- Get rid of the dopey regs in F1

gcdugas

NathanOlder wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 22:00
gcdugas wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 20:03

Its created the championship suspense! Without it Max would most likely have won the championship now. Brazil would have been a Max win and Lewis 3rd at best, so the point swing there would have been 17pts minimum! . Then you'd have to say Max would have won one of the races in Qatar or Saudi, which is another 14pts swing. So the title would have been finished.

Mercs PU has made this the best and most exciting finish for 10yrs.
Is this professional wrestling? Let's have the guy who is behind cheat [if it is cheating] so it goes down to the wire? Sorry but I can't respect your logic. But I can't shake my suspicions that there is a reason other than "degradation" that is responsible for Lewis being able to go from P20 to P5 in the sprint race in Brazil.
What I am talking about is the very observable step up in engine performance since the Brazil change. When has anyone, Lewis included, ever gone from 20th to 5th in the distance of a sprint race at a power demanding circuit? Now try to offer some legit reasons for the dramatic increase in power. Lewis was driving around other cars like they were in reverse. All I have is a suspicion but all you offer is a denial of what we all have observed on the track and in the results. What is your explanation?

JPower
JPower

gcdugas wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 21:38
PhillipM wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 21:17

As far as the possibility of Merc having greater intake cooling efficiency, what major change good for approx 40 BHP have they made since Brazil?
There's nothing to suggest they've gained 40hp since Brazil.

dans79

gcdugas wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 22:27
NathanOlder wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 22:00
gcdugas wrote:

What I am talking about is the very observable step up in engine performance since the Brazil change. When has anyone, Lewis included, ever gone from 20th to 5th in the distance of a sprint race at a power demanding circuit? Now try to offer some legit reasons for the dramatic increase in power. Lewis was driving around other cars like they were in reverse. All I have is a suspicion but all you offer is a denial of what we all have observed on the track and in the results. What is your explanation?
Lewis went from 20th to 4th in brazil 2017 (started from the pitlane). I'm not sure how fast he progressed through the field, as they had several safety cars if memory serves!
197 104 103 7

gcdugas

JPower wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 22:31

There's nothing to suggest they've gained 40hp since Brazil.
You are joking, right? Lewis was driving around the field like they were in reverse whereas the previous few races he would have to work hard to get around the Ferraris, Lando and Daniel and Cheko. At Brazil it was like he had the wind filling his sails at all times. Are you watching the same races as I am? BTW, I am a McLaren fan, not a Max fan just so you know.

Brazil 2021 was like Italy 2004 where JV gained a huge advantage by a fortuitous safety car and he was almost a full lap ahead of Ferrari. Then they flipped to a previously unraced super engine map and suddenly had an extra second per lap to rein him in and win the race. It certainly wasn't due to Lewis' driving. That was the same as it was the previous few races. It was the new engine plain and simple.

In 2017 there was not the near parity we see between Honda, Ferrari and Merc. Then they dominated constantly back then. At the races before and after. In 2021 Merc was equal or worse until the engine change. These are all readily observable facts.