2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
zibby43

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

mkay wrote:
11 May 2021, 10:03
Let's hope the full downforce package helps with softer tyres. I don't agree with you, however, on the deg. No deg in Monaco neutralises Merc's advantage; Monaco is an easy 1-stopper where track position is everything. Working the tyres hard doesn't get penalised, it gets rewarded if anything (see Merc in 2013).
I was referring to the deg. advantage for purposes of qualifying. I think (actually, we know) Merc trades off a sharper front end in qualifying to have that better race deg (especially on the rear tires).

Something they won't have to do in Monaco, because it's all about track position. Like you said.

Just_a_fan

zibby43 wrote:
11 May 2021, 10:40
mkay wrote:
Let's hope the full downforce package helps with softer tyres. I don't agree with you, however, on the deg. No deg in Monaco neutralises Merc's advantage; Monaco is an easy 1-stopper where track position is everything. Working the tyres hard doesn't get penalised, it gets rewarded if anything (see Merc in 2013).
I was referring to the deg. advantage for purposes of qualifying. I think (actually, we know) Merc trades off a sharper front end in qualifying to have that better race deg (especially on the rear tires).

Something they won't have to do in Monaco, because it's all about track position. Like you said.
Interestingly, Lewis asked for front wing to be reduced in Spain at his first pit stop, suggesting they had plenty of front end on it during qualifying, and he wanted to go to a rear-protecting balance for the latter part of the race.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

dans79

Just_a_fan wrote:
11 May 2021, 11:20
zibby43 wrote:
mkay wrote:

Interestingly, Lewis asked for front wing to be reduced in Spain at his first pit stop, suggesting they had plenty of front end on it during qualifying, and he wanted to go to a rear-protecting balance for the latter part of the race.
I think I posted it earlier in this thread, or maybe it was the race thread. Either way Lewis reported making changes to the car before qualifying and it sounded like changes were aimed at protecting the rears, as he was saying it made the car very lazy and understeery.
197 104 103 7

Just_a_fan

dans79 wrote:
11 May 2021, 13:43
Just_a_fan wrote:
zibby43 wrote:

I think I posted it earlier in this thread, or maybe it was the race thread. Either way Lewis reported making changes to the car before qualifying and it sounded like changes were aimed at protecting the rears, as he was saying it made the car very lazy and understeery.
But he asked for front wing to be reduced during the race, which would suggest trying to help the rear even more wouldn't it?

dans79

Just_a_fan wrote:
11 May 2021, 13:45
dans79 wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

But he asked for front wing to be reduced during the race, which would suggest trying to help the rear even more wouldn't it?
I didn't hear the actual message, but if he wanted the wing reduced it would either be to protect the rears or to make a balance adjustment.

Edit:
It's probably worth noting that we don't know the severity of either of the two changes.
197 104 103 7

PhillipM

They only took a quarter turn on the adjuster, probably just to trim the car to make following so close to Max easier in the wake.

Just_a_fan

dans79 wrote:
11 May 2021, 13:55
Just_a_fan wrote:
dans79 wrote:

I didn't hear the actual message, but if he wanted the wing reduced it would either be to protect the rears or to make a balance adjustment.

Edit:
It's probably worth noting that we don't know the severity of either of the two changes.
According to the transcript on lap 19:
19 Hamilton We’re going to have to take wing out. A hole and a half down.
And then later before the second stop:
40 Bonnington Lewis can you go menu dash five, menu dash five and let us know if the balance is better on this medium.
41 Hamilton Nope, need more out.
Obviously we don't know what they did any other time, or even what a hole and a half means in terms of a number of degrees.

zibby43

dans79 wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
zibby43 wrote:

Correct. This was the source/basis of my initial post.

PlatinumZealot

Just_a_fan wrote:
zibby43 wrote:
mkay wrote:

This is the sort of tactical battle that I like about formula 1. Little adjustments here and there to get a few tenths on the opponent.
Last edited by PlatinumZealot on 11 May 2021, 17:11, edited 1 time in total.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

dans79

looks like someone at racefans. net is a member of the forum, and read some of us lamenting about them not having transcripts like they used to.

They released this today, and it looks to be every message to and from both Lewis and Max.
https://www.racefans.net/2021/05/11/wel ... -analysis/
Last edited by dans79 on 11 May 2021, 17:45, edited 1 time in total.
197 104 103 7

zibby43

Just_a_fan wrote:
dans79 wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

It’s all on a spectrum, but here’s part of his quote from after qualifying where he called the car lazy, and commented the car had “so much understeer.”

“The set-up that I made I just had so much understeer. The car was very lazy and wouldn't turn around the corners in the way I wanted.”

"I was making small adjustments within what we are able to change to get the car to turn and then it is just pulling everything together. It was my cleanest lap. I will always remember that."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/57039915

e30ernest

dans79 wrote:
11 May 2021, 17:03
looks like someone at racefans. net is a member of the forum, and read some of us lamenting about them not having transcripts like they used to.

They released this today, and it looks to be every message to and from both Lewis and Max.
Thanks for that. I was actually reading that with Bono's voice in my head.... :lol:

zibby43

e30ernest wrote:
12 May 2021, 02:52
dans79 wrote:

Thanks for that. I was actually reading that with Bono's voice in my head.... :lol:
Same :lol:

NathanOlder

It seems everyone does that :lol: :lol: I'm glad im not the only one.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Juzh

dans79 wrote:

They probably stopped doing them with arrival of all team radio being available on F1TV. Doing just a few drivers per race the way it's been done in this article is very time consuming and probably doesn't make sense most of the time.