2021 Alpha Tauri F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ispano6

Re: 2021 Alpha Tauri F1 Team

MKlaus wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 07:53
Old news, Tsunoda already said DRS didn't work on Day 2 and didn't get to test his braking on the end of DRS enabled straights. It's what's testing is for and quite impressive for a rookie to be trying the limits like that. Lando can laugh all he wants, Tsunoda wasn't out to get the best time, just the best practice.

MKlaus

ispano6 wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 09:02
MKlaus wrote:
Old news, Tsunoda already said DRS didn't work on Day 2 and didn't get to test his braking on the end of DRS enabled straights. It's what's testing is for and quite impressive for a rookie to be trying the limits like that. Lando can laugh all he wants, Tsunoda wasn't out to get the best time, just the best practice.
what is the use of testing a piece on the car in an incorrect way. everybody up and down the grid tests drs on the prescribed part of the track. if alpha tauri is doing something different, it gets pointed out, whether someone likes it or not.

Wouter

MKlaus wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 10:14
ispano6 wrote:
MKlaus wrote:
what is the use of testing a piece on the car in an incorrect way. everybody up and down the grid tests drs on the prescribed part of the track. if alpha tauri is doing something different, it gets pointed out, whether someone likes it or not.
On the second day of testing, the DRS system was found not to work. On the third day of testing, the DRS was manually activated as often as possible and this had to be done at other points. This was already reported last week. He didn't do this to score faster laps.
Read the posts in this topic from 15 March, where is already has been discussed.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=29591&start=135
The Power of Dreams!

ispano6

MKlaus wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 10:14
ispano6 wrote:
MKlaus wrote:
He's testing and practicing his braking, how late he can brake without overshooting or locking up. He's a rookie with only a few days in a F1 car driving if at all in "anger". He was disappointed to be limited in the first two days, so he used the last day to get as much out of testing, which he did. He didn't crash the car or get in anyone's way, so good on him. Seems more that you don't like the fact he set a fast lap with his generous use of DRS by bringing it up.

godlameroso

I find it comical that anyone makes issues about car performance during testing. It's not race preparation, it's not a practice session, it's testing. You're testing things, procedures, how the car behaves. There's no rules about following race procedures during testing, it's not a sporting event, it's testing.

Would he be doing such things during the race weekend? Under sporting rules?
Saishū kōnā

ispano6

MKlaus wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 12:00
ispano6 wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 11:48
Seems more that you don't like the fact he set a fast lap with his generous use of DRS by bringing it up.
why is folks here getting personal? is there a problem in posting information related to alpha tauri here? why would it bother me if anyone on the grid sets a fast lap or not? i am not a stake holder in any team.
You said: "what is the use of testing a piece on the car in an incorrect way. everybody up and down the grid tests drs on the prescribed part of the track. if alpha tauri is doing something different, it gets pointed out, whether someone likes it or not."

Just that he wasn't testing it in "an incorrect way". You're making that assumption as is others trying to denigrate Tsunoda's use of the DRS.

I'll quote Tsunoda so that you are well informed.
“But on the first medium-tyre push the DRS was not working. In the last C4 push-laps, on the pedals something broke.

“And at the end of the last lap I lost power, so I couldn’t drive a normal stint.

“It’s good for the team to have data like this and not have issues like this on a race weekend. So it was a good, positive day as well, but I hope we don’t have issues like this tomorrow and I can attack and push normally.”

“We had a different issue almost every stint. Like not being able to use DRS makes a massive difference to the braking points.
“But it’s okay, I still have one more [half] day. I just have to forget today, reset my mind and drive my best tomorrow.”
https://www.planetf1.com/news/yuki-tsun ... ri-stress/

MKlaus

ispano6 wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 22:34
MKlaus wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 12:00
ispano6 wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 11:48
Seems more that you don't like the fact he set a fast lap with his generous use of DRS by bringing it up.
why is folks here getting personal? is there a problem in posting information related to alpha tauri here? why would it bother me if anyone on the grid sets a fast lap or not? i am not a stake holder in any team.
You said: "what is the use of testing a piece on the car in an incorrect way. everybody up and down the grid tests drs on the prescribed part of the track. if alpha tauri is doing something different, it gets pointed out, whether someone likes it or not."

Just that he wasn't testing it in "an incorrect way". You're making that assumption as is others trying to denigrate Tsunoda's use of the DRS.

I'll quote Tsunoda so that you are well informed.
“But on the first medium-tyre push the DRS was not working. In the last C4 push-laps, on the pedals something broke.

“And at the end of the last lap I lost power, so I couldn’t drive a normal stint.

“It’s good for the team to have data like this and not have issues like this on a race weekend. So it was a good, positive day as well, but I hope we don’t have issues like this tomorrow and I can attack and push normally.”

“We had a different issue almost every stint. Like not being able to use DRS makes a massive difference to the braking points.
“But it’s okay, I still have one more [half] day. I just have to forget today, reset my mind and drive my best tomorrow.”
https://www.planetf1.com/news/yuki-tsun ... ri-stress/
using drs before the drs activation point is indeed, pointless. if it helps alpha tauri in some ways to understand something, good for them. it definitely takes sheen away from the glory runs. i am sure alpha tauri knows the best, more than anyone who is an ardent fan here. please stop trying to prove me wrong for a piece of information and let others make of it what they want to.

ispano6

MKlaus wrote:
25 Mar 2021, 04:54
using drs before the drs activation point is indeed, pointless. if it helps alpha tauri in some ways to understand something, good for them. it definitely takes sheen away from the glory runs. i am sure alpha tauri knows the best, more than anyone who is an ardent fan here. please stop trying to prove me wrong for a piece of information and let others make of it what they want to.
You've made my point. Call it glory run, AT calls it testing.

DR30

[/quote]using drs before the drs activation point is indeed, pointless. if it helps alpha tauri in some ways to understand something, good for them. it definitely takes sheen away from the glory runs. i am sure alpha tauri knows the best, more than anyone who is an ardent fan here. please stop trying to prove me wrong for a piece of information and let others make of it what they want to.
[/quote]

How can using DRS before the activation point be "pointless" if, in your words, "it helps alpha tauri in some ways to understand something"? It's actually pretty simple. He gets to practice braking points at closer to quali full send speeds without having to show full power data. So certainly not pointless, and as you say, it helps alpha tauri in some ways to understand something.

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

hkbruin

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/tsun ... t/5898122/

Not sure if this was posted but explains why DRS was opening before he reached the line. Basically during the normal circumstances the wing won’t open even if he pressed the button early since it is programmed to open only once it passes the detection zone. On the last day the drs activation point was not suppressing the software, so it was opening automatically. Yuki assumed it was the case for everyone so no restrictions on anybody, so he assumed everyone would be doing it as well. It does point out that the actual drs opening is “assisted” to maximize the timing.

Wouter

:D :D :D

I hope Yuki will do well in qualifying this afternoon! Yesterday he drove good times.

The Power of Dreams!

godlameroso

Maca root helps impulse control.
Saishū kōnā

Ground Effect

Wouter wrote:
27 Mar 2021, 11:50
:D :D :D

I hope Yuki will do well in qualifying this afternoon! Yesterday he drove good times.

Clearly Yuki is the REAL deal!
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

radosav

that car is great, both of drivers almost in fight for second row