2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
basti313

Re: 2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Cosmetics :mrgreen:

Let us see what happens with the carrot in front of RedBull in the next two races. There is still this ugly CFD and wind tunnel time issue. Merc now got the 5% more for falling behind RedBull. I still fear the point where they turn up the engine and say goodbye to cosmetically powered Honda.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Ryar

basti313 wrote:
30 Jun 2021, 17:18
Cosmetics :mrgreen:

I still fear the point where they turn up the engine and say goodbye to cosmetically powered Honda.
Let's see what shade of Lipstick Mercedes would have applied to their PU when it happens. Lewis shoud be able to attract a designer logo for that from fashion industry. :lol:
Hakuna Matata!

godlameroso

I'll laugh if the oil looks like this.
Saishū kōnā

Pyrone89

According to the messages in race, Red Bull believe they still have more (rear) tyre wear than Mercedes. Like I said, all still to play for. Hamilton was staying near undercut range until they basically gave up. So on tracks that are not tailored to the RB16B strengths I expect the W12 to be strongest again. Still need to improve (rear) tyre wear and a bit more downforce without drag penalty to really be the favorite for WDC (not to mention reliability concerns, while we know Mercedes is basically bullet proof in that department with their works team).

Not to mention the stiffer tyre construction for new rear tyres may benefits Mercedes more in this cut-out floor year, as they seem to struggle with tyre squirt more than Red Bull and a stiffer tyre construction helps with that.
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

Lock2nl

I did not see those rear wheel blisters on Max' his car.

Wouter

Pyrone89 wrote:
30 Jun 2021, 20:41
According to the messages in race, Red Bull believe they still have more (rear) tyre wear than Mercedes. Like I said, all still to play for. Hamilton was staying near undercut range until they basically gave up. So on tracks that are not tailored to the RB16B strengths I expect the W12 to be strongest again. Still need to improve (rear) tyre wear and a bit more downforce without drag penalty to really be the favorite for WDC (not to mention reliability concerns, while we know Mercedes is basically bullet proof in that department with their works team).

Not to mention the stiffer tyre construction for new rear tyres may benefits Mercedes more in this cut-out floor year, as they seem to struggle with tyre squirt more than Red Bull and a stiffer tyre construction helps with that.
Did you see the front and rear wheel blisters on Bottas and Hamiltons car?
I did't see those rear wheel blisters on Max his car. Marko said that Max could have driven faster, but the team didn't allow him to, because the Mercedes cars couldn't come closer anyway because of the tire wear.
That's why Bottas couldn't and wasn't allowed to accelerate when Perez came closer and closer.

Horner has also said that the reinforced tires will not affect their tire wear, as it is a small reinforcement that does not affect the tread.
The Power of Dreams!

NL_Fer

I suspect Mercedes will be slightly faster in Silverstone and Hungaroring with those fast corner entries. Spa and Monza will be even more exciting, with the RB16 superior topspeed vs W12 fast corners and braking.

basti313

NL_Fer wrote:
30 Jun 2021, 23:04
I suspect Mercedes will be slightly faster in Silverstone and Hungaroring with those fast corner entries. Spa and Monza will be even more exciting, with the RB16 superior topspeed vs W12 fast corners and braking.
You think the benefit is on braking? Interesting.

My current expectation:
- Hungaroring will be on RB as Merc can not bold on more DF.
- All mix tracks with DF and long straights like Spa, COTA or Mexico clearly on RB.
- All "normal" tracks like Silverstone, Zand, Brasil, etc. rather on Merc as we saw it in France.
- Monza clearly on Merc as they can remove the big rear wing.

So in my point of view it will really boil down on the last 2 or 3 races.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Lock2nl

Zandvoort a normal track? Try a lap in a real race car....

zibby43

Wouter wrote:
30 Jun 2021, 22:19
Pyrone89 wrote:

I did't see those rear wheel blisters on Max his car. Marko said that Max could have driven faster, but the team didn't allow him to, because the Mercedes cars couldn't come closer anyway because of the tire wear.
That's why Bottas couldn't and wasn't allowed to accelerate when Perez came closer and closer.

Horner has also said that the reinforced tires will not affect their tire wear, as it is a small reinforcement that does not affect the tread.
Bear in mind that both Mercs were in dirty air, and Hamilton was pushing quite hard in his second stint (he left Bottas in the dust) before dropping off to maintain the ability to 1-stop.

I only saw blistering on Hamilton’s right front tire near the closing stages. I only heard him report that front right blistering on the radio, as well. I didn’t see/hear about any rear blistering, as the rear tires are where Mercedes have had the degradation advantage this year.

As an aside, blistering is less a function of general degradation and more a sign of a temporary overheating on a specific section of the surface tread.

ispano6

I really don't understand why people keep saying there is still to play for or that Mercedes is the faster car. By all counts Max should be at least 32 points ahead of Lewis at this stage instead of 18pts. Lewis gained a lasting advantage in Bahrain for all the laps he went wide, benefitted from a red flag caused by Mercedes drivers, and Max suffering DNF due to a tire failure Pirelli are unwilling to take blame for. RedBull's pace advantage in Baku on a used PU vs Mercedes new PU leads me to believe RedBull can beat Mercedes anywhere if they get their deployment right and keep bringing the car upgrades. Portimao and Spain were the tracks RedBull didn't get right and their car has evolved since then. I'm hoping RedBull fully send it and don't look back and after summer break most development will have switched to the 2022 car. Even so, RedBull Honda should be a moving target that maximizes the potential of the package all the way to the last race.

Wouter

zibby43 wrote:
01 Jul 2021, 00:34
Wouter wrote:
Pyrone89 wrote:

Bear in mind that both Mercs were in dirty air, and Hamilton was pushing quite hard in his second stint (he left Bottas in the dust) before dropping off to maintain the ability to 1-stop.

I only saw blistering on Hamilton’s right front tire near the closing stages. I only heard him report that front right blistering on the radio, as well. I didn’t see/hear about any rear blistering, as the rear tires are where Mercedes have had the degradation advantage this year.

As an aside, blistering is less a function of general degradation and more a sign of a temporary overheating on a specific section of the surface tread.
Lewis, Bottas and Max were all out in free air in the second stint.

Today, 9:19 a.m. “Why didn't we go for a two-stop with Lewis? We considered it, not only for Lewis, but also for Valtteri (Bottas, ed.). The problem was that the power of the undercut was relatively small, about a second and a half," said Vowles, explaining in a video from Mercedes why the strategies we saw in the first game at the Red Bull Ring were chosen.

"The data of the race shows that, relative to Verstappen, we were so far behind that we were unable to perform a successful two-stop," said the British Mercedes CEO. After the opening phase, the advantage lay with Red Bull

Vowles: 'We could have decided to do it earlier, but then Verstappen would have been able to parry the strategy for both pit stops. So a change of position would not have been possible with a two-stop.'

"That's why we tried to push as long as possible in the stint, trying to wear out Verstappen's tires. If we had that relegation advantage that we've seen in previous races, maybe we could have put them in an awkward position."

“As it turned out, we were absolutely on the limit, after which our tires were at the end of their life.
We couldn't stay in that undercut time and ruined our tires in the process," he concludes.
The drop-off at Hamilton was many times greater than at its Limburg competitor.
The Power of Dreams!

Pyrone89

ispano6 wrote:
01 Jul 2021, 06:03
I really don't understand why people keep saying there is still to play for or that Mercedes is the faster car. By all counts Max should be at least 32 points ahead of Lewis at this stage instead of 18pts. Lewis gained a lasting advantage in Bahrain for all the laps he went wide, benefitted from a red flag caused by Mercedes drivers, and Max suffering DNF due to a tire failure Pirelli are unwilling to take blame for. RedBull's pace advantage in Baku on a used PU vs Mercedes new PU leads me to believe RedBull can beat Mercedes anywhere if they get their deployment right and keep bringing the car upgrades. Portimao and Spain were the tracks RedBull didn't get right and their car has evolved since then. I'm hoping RedBull fully send it and don't look back and after summer break most development will have switched to the 2022 car. Even so, RedBull Honda should be a moving target that maximizes the potential of the package all the way to the last race.
the gaps on normal tracks since Mercedes fixed their car in Imola are very small or clearly in favor for Mercedes on race pace. That is why there is all too play for. Add that Mercedes has bullet proof reliability with their works team and RBR just last year had 5 DNF’s and you will understand why this is far from over. Especially considering the upcoming changes which will hurt RB (even less rear wing flex from half of July, ban on quick pit stops, harder tyres are all in favor of Mercedes) and the FIA clearly not doing anything about Merc’s flexy front wing.

Meanwhile, sunday looks to be a wet race which cancels out the straghtline advantage and prevents derates, while rewarding more downforce. So advantage Mercedes when it is indeed a wet race on sunday
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

Lock2nl

zibby43 wrote:
01 Jul 2021, 00:34
Wouter wrote:
Pyrone89 wrote:

Maybe have look at both Merc drivers after Lewis did his fastest lap of the race? Several laps later I saw a footage of the rear en of Lewis' car. Several laps after his fastest lap you could the tire wear. And Mercedes admitted trying to follow Max got their tyres messed up completely.
Frankly, while trying to keep in close range after the stop Lewis was constantly at least 4 second behind Max. Dirty air...? Don't think so!

Lock2nl

Pyrone89 wrote:
01 Jul 2021, 12:42
Meanwhile, sunday looks to be a wet race which cancels out the straghtline advantage and prevents derates, while rewarding more downforce. So advantage Mercedes when it is indeed a wet race on sunday
Why ? Don't you think RB has 'bigger wings' also?
(I see a nice comnercial quote coming..)