2021 Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ryaan2904

Re: 2021 Ferrari F1 Team

codetower wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 19:07
jumpingfish wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 16:25
Did Ferrari have more tyre tests for 2022 than any other team? Previous test was instead of Mercedes when they reached budget limits. I hope it will help Ferrari in future.
Do these tyre tests help the teams at all, or simply for Pirelli's help? Does Ferrari get have financial incentive to run the tests for Pirelli? The data the teams get from the testing is based on a car that will likely be MUCH different than next years. It's not even the SF21 as I understand (the tests are on the SF90?).
I think you get lots of good data from these tests everytime you run them. What's most important I think is you get to know how much the tyres are flexing and how these new (prbly heavier) tires interact with the suspension. The new cars have aero devices specifically to control tire wake, so having data on the above two factors will likely help you in designing them. There's probably more stuff too.
CFD Eyes of Sauron

JPower

Let's hope Binotto can get them a win-capable car next year. No reason this pair couldn't win a constructors' title.

Schippke

Funny thing is... he is right. Charles might still (and most likely will) continue being the faster of the 2, but Carlos is close (and getting closer) for the most part, give or take. Race pace wise, I'd argue they're basically level with each other. I've seen a lot of comments and posts from social media websites joking about Binotto's comments on this, but name any other driver pairing that remotely matches the closeness of Leclerc & Sainz.

Only one that comes closest in my eyes SHOULD be Norris and Ricciardo, if it wasn't for Daniel still struggling to get his head around the McLaren... everyone else the divide between team-mates is much bigger, or the closeness isn't as worthy (Giovinazzi & Raikkonen for example).

Makes me all the more excited heading into 2022... hopefully with more competitive car, these 2 are absolutely shine. If Ferrari aren't at the pointy end of the field over the next few seasons, I'm fairly confident in saying it won't be because these 2 guys were the problem performance wise.

JPower

Binotto MasterPlan™ at work.

Maybe we'll get a glimpse of what the SF1000 was really supposed to be.

ringo

Ah yes.. should be exciting. I can see Charles qualifying second row more often now. This could be a bother for redbull and mercedes.
I think they have Mclaren beat with this upgrade.
Their two cars just need to make it to q3 and survive the lap 1.
Both drivers run well but just need to tidy up on the clashing with other cars and also the mistakes on track.
How has ferrari's reliability been?
And their pitstops?
For Sure!!

Ryar

I am surprised that they can "upgrade" a PU in 2021! It's great news obviously. Hope their PU is going to be on par with Honda and Mercedes and hope they have another step for 2022. It would make 2022 an exciting season.

https://www.grandprix247.com/2021/08/10 ... cant-step/
Speaking during the summer break, Binotto spoke of what is planned in an interview with Gazzetta Motori: “We will bring power unit developments.

“To clarify what are the 2021 regulations: we can have a brand new power unit for 2021, which means we may bring an update in all the components of the power unit, whatever it is ICE, turbo, MGU-H, batteries, MGU-K, etc.

“What we did at the start of the season, is we didn’t finish the full power unit. There are still components which are from last year and we will bring an evolution of those ones. So, that will be a significant step for us for the second half of the season.”
FIA looking at Maranello, standing on "Silver" stairs.
Hakuna Matata!

tpe
tpe

My guess is that the significant upgrade will not be enough to close the gap and make them a front-runner.
But who knows?

JPower

tpe wrote:
11 Aug 2021, 20:31
My guess is that the significant upgrade will not be enough to close the gap and make them a front-runner.
But who knows?
10-15hp probably wouldn’t. 25-30hp would definitely put it within striking distance(not fastest) and put a comfortable gap between Ferrari and McLaren at most tracks.

Ferrari is still at a significant power deficit to Mercedes and Honda at the moment.

Leclerc with another 25-30hp probably wins Silverstone and Sainz would have no problem passing Ricciardo on straights as has been an issue in multiple races this year.

wowgr8

tpe wrote:
11 Aug 2021, 20:31
But who knows?
Binotto said 60% of the gap to the frontrunners is power related, the other 40% is aero & mechanics so even with engine parity (which this update will not bring) they'd still be trailing the front two

He said "significant" which I think oversells it. My completely unfounded guess is maybe a tenth more pace. Anything more than 1.5 tenths would be big

JPBD1990

The exact HP gain is less interesting to me, and I don’t think they’ll suddenly be a front runner so I think those hoping for or expecting that better temper expectations lest you disappoint yourselves.

I think what’s more interesting and exciting is this implementation as it applies to Ferrari’s longer term strategy. This is smart. As was said from the outset, 2021 was never the target. They’ve made huge gains relative to last season when most things have been frozen. They’ve openly said they’ve been working on 2022 since very early 2020 - basically as soon as they realised it was over for them. Now we learn that they have a clever strategy to maximise development on auxiliary engine components with a view to 2022 from the beginning - and we’ve been hearing promising noises regarding the 2022 engine program itself.

If they can get the suspension and tyres right, and have maximised any possible loopholes in aero and chassis, then next year really does have the potential to be somewhat of a rebirth for the team.

I think this also bears out what Binotto has been saying about it being a young team and giving them time.

For all his criticisms, I’m liking what I’m seeing personally. If next year pans out then I think many people, not least of all on this forum, should be eating their words.

JPower

Looks like the rumors are saying more around 10-15hp which, while significant won't change things too much.

In other news, Aston Martin formally withdrew their appeal so Sainz's podium is officially official.

F1NAC

JPower wrote:
12 Aug 2021, 15:39
Looks like the rumors are saying more around 10-15hp which, while significant won't change things too much.

In other news, Aston Martin formally withdrew their appeal so Sainz's podium is officially official.
If they can gain that much and improve also cooling (shrinking further rear). That could be solid update. IT remains to be seen.

wowgr8

JPower wrote:
12 Aug 2021, 15:39

That ~13hp would supposedly bring them level on power with Honda, that's interesting. I hope it has a notable impact on ease of overtaking, I'm sure Sainz is sick of getting stuck behind slower cars all year

If the gap between Ferrari and Mercedes is only 10HP at the end of this year I'm more hopeful about next year though I still harbor doubts we will be able to match Mercedes before the freeze

They could/should push hard to make the parts as powerful as possible even at the cost of reliability then use the reliability fix allowance to make the PU more powerful even under the freeze à la Honda this year

wowgr8

https://www.funoanalisitecnica.com/2021 ... f21-2.html

This article says the upgrade will be on the ICE and not on the hybrid bits. That's very surprising and confusing, I thought for sure the ICE would've been updated from last year to this one. It's a good article that explains how the hybrid part of the PU has been overworked this year to cover the weak ICE

Ced
Ced

wowgr8 wrote:
13 Aug 2021, 13:45
https://www.funoanalisitecnica.com/2021 ... f21-2.html

This article says the upgrade will be on the ICE and not on the hybrid bits. That's very surprising and confusing, I thought for sure the ICE would've been updated from last year to this one. It's a good article that explains how the hybrid part of the PU has been overworked this year to cover the weak ICE
I think the ICE upgrade is relevant. Ferrari has always been strong on the hybrid side. As you mentioned they are obliged to overwork the hybrid to compensate that weakness