2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Emag

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Yeah, glad pitstops were better today, hopefully they continue like this.

After Barcelona:

3. McLaren - 65
4. Ferrari - 60

Very close battle.

Another positive note this race is the fact that Daniel seemed more comfortable throughout the whole weekend. Let's hope he will be himself from now on, as it is very important to have both drivers delivering in this tight battle.

MrGapes

I think not bad recovery.. Daniel was great today, Spain being Spain meant having a bad start for Lando cost him....up next Monaco we are going to struggle there compared to Ferrari and possibly the Alpha's and Alpine who have pretty decent rotation in low speed... but as you said its a long season and I expect it to be a pendulum between Mclaren and Ferrari on track basis

chrisgr

Good all around performance. Good pit stops. Maybe we have to understand better our new updates. This year practices are only 1 hour. Only thing to mention is Norris's bad start. He could earn a place there.

Emag

MrGapes wrote:
09 May 2021, 16:49
I think not bad recovery.. Daniel was great today, Spain being Spain meant having a bad start for Lando cost him....up next Monaco we are going to struggle there compared to Ferrari and possibly the Alpha's and Alpine who have pretty decent rotation in low speed... but as you said its a long season and I expect it to be a pendulum between Mclaren and Ferrari on track basis
Yeah, in Monaco they have to deliver in Saturday as the race will probably be over after qualifying. After Monaco there's Baku though, that should suit McLaren more compared to Ferrari.

Darth-Piekus

One place that will definately suit Mclaren is Monza. We might push for a victory there.

the EDGE

After 4 races it definitely starting to look like a 2 horse race for 3rd.... 1 prancing Stallion and a pure-bread Arabian

trinidefender

Darth-Piekus wrote:
09 May 2021, 16:47
I disagree my friend. Considering how hard was to pass here if we have started in front we had a great chance to end in front. Dirty air and all that. Leclerc and Sainz would have destroyed their tyres and heat up their brakes trying to overtake to no avail.
If you look at Leclerc's pace in the first stint he was pulling seconds on Riccardo. That would have given him a good delta to get past both Lando and Riccardo, that's also a big ask making the assumption that the car had the pace on this track to qualify in front of Leclerc which was unlikely.

Darth-Piekus

The Prancing Stallion is Ferrari? How is Mclaren a pure bread Arabian and not a Papaya Orange Arrow or whatever the Logo is.

Emag

the EDGE wrote:
09 May 2021, 16:53
After 4 races it definitely starting to look like a 2 horse race for 3rd.... 1 prancing Stallion and a pure-bread Arabian
Yeah, the midfield is completely dominated by McLaren / Ferrari at the moment. The next closest rival is Alpine, 45 points behind, which is an enormous amount in the midfield.

Darth-Piekus

trinidefender wrote:
09 May 2021, 16:54
Darth-Piekus wrote:
I disagree my friend. Considering how hard was to pass here if we have started in front we had a great chance to end in front. Dirty air and all that. Leclerc and Sainz would have destroyed their tyres and heat up their brakes trying to overtake to no avail.
If you look at Leclerc's pace in the first stint he was pulling seconds on Riccardo. That would have given him a good delta to get past both Lando and Riccardo, that's also a big ask making the assumption that the car had the pace on this track to qualify in front of Leclerc which was unlikely.
Saw Leclerc's pace but he was in clear air. There is a huge difference when you are in clear air and when you are chasing someone going behind his dirty air causing your breaks to overheat. Perez who had a much faster car than Leclerc had so many problems to pass here.

Emag

Darth-Piekus wrote:
09 May 2021, 16:56
trinidefender wrote:
Darth-Piekus wrote:
Saw Leclerc's pace but he was in clear air. There is a huge difference when you are in clear air and when you are chasing someone going behind his dirty air causing your breaks to overheat. Perez who had a much faster car than Leclerc had so many problems to pass here.
Daniel was also in free air, and he was losing about 0.2-0.3s per lap compared to Charles in the soft stint before his tires dropped off in the end (and the difference went to above 0.5s per lap). In the second stint it was a bit closer, but Charles was still a bit faster.

SmallSoldier

the EDGE wrote:After 4 races it definitely starting to look like a 2 horse race for 3rd.... 1 prancing Stallion and a pure-bread Arabian
Nice one! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PhillipM

It's gonna depend what Ferrari has in hand for upgrades, Mclaren have a diffuser with revised outer edges, brake winglets (same, but not RP ones) and some changes to come at the rear tyre deflectors to match the floor once they're happy with the ride-height/car setup changes the floor needs, so fairly important tweaks, even a tenth a lap would make a fair difference at the minute.

trinidefender

Darth-Piekus wrote:
09 May 2021, 16:56
trinidefender wrote:
Darth-Piekus wrote:
You're also making the assumption that the car had the pace to qualify in front of Leclerc. They were the faster car all weekend so even if Lando and Daniel had put in better laps Leclerc still probably would have been in front in Qualifying. I think the best we could have hoped for as a result without something crazy happening was MAYBE Lando being in front Sainz.

SmallSoldier

Darth-Piekus wrote:
trinidefender wrote:
Darth-Piekus wrote:
RIC was also in clean air fairly early in the stint... He was lapping 1 second from Leclerc all through it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk