2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ground Effect

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Pat Fry, being very complimentary of Ricciardo.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ricc ... n=widget-6
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

haza

Frosted glass is up at the MTC build is well an truly under way

haza

haza wrote:
18 Jan 2021, 18:54
Also is it just me or does it seam that Mcl is rather early in the construction just under 2 months till testing and there already assembling the chassis

Emag

Yeah, it seems they are within schedule which is a good news. Amazing how far the team has come in 3 years. Anyone remember that mini-series about McLaren's 2017 season (It was called Driver or something along the lines of that IIRC)? They had to re-manufacture parts for the car when they were almost ready to close off everything and ready up for the launch. Such were the organizational deficiencies. Fast-forward to now and they apparently will have the car ready months before testing actually takes place.

Holm86

haza wrote:
18 Jan 2021, 19:04
haza wrote:
Also is it just me or does it seam that Mcl is rather early in the construction just under 2 months till testing and there already assembling the chassis
To be fair, its last years chassis, with some modifications to accomodate the Mercedes powerplant.
It's not a brand new design as previous years ...

the EDGE

Holm86 wrote:
18 Jan 2021, 19:32
haza wrote:
haza wrote:
To be fair, its last years chassis, with some modifications to accomodate the Mercedes powerplant.
The tub & nose is going to be the same, I expect not a lot else is.

They have already stated revised hydraulics, cooling & gear box, which means revision to rear suspension and maybe a change to the wheelbase too. Aero is token free & we know there is a new floor & diffuser so probably revised aero to work with new floor, and of course the revised livery already indicated.

The thing I’m waiting to see is if they have managed to slim the side pods any or changed to a more Merc/rb downwash style instead or the current undercut style

The Mcl35M will be the most revised car on the grid

haza

the EDGE wrote:
18 Jan 2021, 20:27
Holm86 wrote:
haza wrote:

They have already stated revised hydraulics, cooling & gear box, which means revision to rear suspension and maybe a change to the wheelbase too. Aero is token free & we know there is a new floor & diffuser so probably revised aero to work with new floor, and of course the revised livery already indicated.

The thing I’m waiting to see is if they have managed to slim the side pods any or changed to a more Merc/rb downwash style instead or the current undercut style

Agreed an even if the car is somehow a silver bullet the teams can’t complain as it was heavily monitored by the FIA

mwillems

haza wrote:
18 Jan 2021, 20:40
the EDGE wrote:
Holm86 wrote:

Agreed an even if the car is somehow a silver bullet the teams can’t complain as it was heavily monitored by the FIA

I think that if we are heavily modified and find a chunk of time then people will complain, but then I think James Key has been quite open in saying that this will pretty much be a brand new car so I guess that the teams are prepared at least for how different it will be.

Let's see how they react if it is also .5 second faster than the MCL35 even after the new aero regs for this year...
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

SmallSoldier

the EDGE wrote:
Holm86 wrote:
haza wrote:

Due to the lack of tokens, from a chassis perspective there shouldn’t be a lot that they can do and therefore they could start with assembly early... The aero parts are probably still in design/production for any changes.

Exciting times indeed!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Emag

mwillems wrote:
18 Jan 2021, 23:45
haza wrote:
the EDGE wrote:

I think that if we are heavily modified and find a chunk of time then people will complain, but then I think James Key has been quite open in saying that this will pretty much be a brand new car so I guess that the teams are prepared at least for how different it will be.

Let's see how they react if it is also .5 second faster than the MCL35 even after the new aero regs for this year...
.5 of a second is a lot of time to gain considering Mercedes has said they think the cars will be slower this year. Unrealistic gain imo

mwillems

Emag wrote:
19 Jan 2021, 01:10
mwillems wrote:
haza wrote:

.5 of a second is a lot of time to gain considering Mercedes has said they think the cars will be slower this year. Unrealistic gain imo
Yes I did think that afterwards, it was arbitrary number plucked from the air, lets just say, if we suddenly end up 3 tenths off the fastest car - folks might get a tad suspicious and call for enquiries. There, that's nice and relative :D
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Mclarensenna

I think it is possible to see Mclaren make a huge jump in lap time. Why? Well we really have no idea how much faster the "2021 Merc engine" is over the "2020 Renault engine". Is it 2 tenths, is it 5 tenths is it 1 second even? Who really knows? Its all pure speculation?

1 thing to consider is look at Ferrari from 2010 to 2014 were absolutely nowhere in race pace compared to the redbull. Then 2015-2019 with the oil burning and other tricks and a lot more power the Ferrari was much faster than the redbull in race pace. No comparison really. Night and Day!

Then 2020 the engine tricks are banned and the Ferrari has no race pace again compared to redbull. Why?
Because the faster engine allows much more downforce to be put on the car and it seems to make the car have so much more traction and stability due to all this extra downforce and turn the chassis into a race rocket overnight. The car just comes alive!

The Ferrari was overnight a completely different car compared to the low engine power years. it seems not the chassis itself but the engine driving it made all the difference to how race competitive the Ferrari was if you going back and compare the last 10 years.

The same theory could play out with Mclaren in 2021. If the engine has so much more power they can stack more downforce and the car overnight turns into a rocket right competing close to the front, ala, like the 2015-2019 Ferrari.
Its just a theory and speculation but i do think there is a chance the 2021 Mclaren makes a huge step.
IMHO
Lets wait and see :)

diffuser

Lucky wrote:
18 Jan 2021, 08:03
diffuser wrote:
18 Jan 2021, 03:59
Emag wrote:
18 Jan 2021, 00:29
Are there any rumors about a possible launch event date? I am guessing it's going to be mid to late February but would be nice to have a fixed date on the calendar.

My guess would be some teams will launch March 1st/2nd, day before or day of the 1st test. Others, virtually the week leading up to the first test. I haven't heard anything no.
Tests will be held on March 12-14 in Bahrain
Missed that announcement. Guess a result of the rescheduled Australian GP.

mclaren111

Pat Fry:

It sounds simple, but you need to learn how to drive the power unit these days. Even the same powerunit, in a different car, it's completely different in how we set things up.

Interesting... Assume he's talking about cooling...

haza

mwillems wrote:
haza wrote:
the EDGE wrote:

How can they complain about it ? It was monitored heavily by the FIA if they do find time it’ll just be a brawn situation (engine wise) an the other teams will have to deal with it