2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Tizz

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

proteus wrote:
21 Dec 2021, 13:22
mclaren111 wrote:
21 Dec 2021, 12:22
proteus wrote:
21 Dec 2021, 10:38

Who and what is preventing them to do the work in remote areas of the world by some unknown subcontracter? This budget cap will only limit those which allready have problems due to a lack of funds. Long story short, the gap will be the same or even bigger.

If I'm not mistaken the FIA's audits includes external suppliers - content, services & prices etc...
Yes yes, but what prevents a team to make a car somewhere far away (Latin America, Africa), make models and prototypes, test them in private (spend hundreds of millions) and then only bring hard disks of data and start official "research and development" inside original team? I believe top teams can pull it off without a problem. For sure it is a bit more difficult to do it since almost everybody have a camera now, but still you could go somewhere remote enough to get it done. Noone can determine from where the data came, or can they? Call me paranoid, but when budget cap was announced, this was the first thing that came to my mind.
Outsourcing to Africa or whereever will gain you nothing. You usually reduce the costs for wages but as this knowledge how to produce high-tech stuff is only limited available, you will end up flying in technicians, tools and materials.

Big Tea

Tizz wrote:
23 Dec 2021, 12:45
proteus wrote:
mclaren111 wrote:

If I'm not mistaken the FIA's audits includes external suppliers - content, services & prices etc...
Yes yes, but what prevents a team to make a car somewhere far away (Latin America, Africa), make models and prototypes, test them in private (spend hundreds of millions) and then only bring hard disks of data and start official "research and development" inside original team? I believe top teams can pull it off without a problem. For sure it is a bit more difficult to do it since almost everybody have a camera now, but still you could go somewhere remote enough to get it done. Noone can determine from where the data came, or can they? Call me paranoid, but when budget cap was announced, this was the first thing that came to my mind.
Outsourcing to Africa or whereever will gain you nothing. You usually reduce the costs for wages but as this knowledge how to produce high-tech stuff is only limited available, you will end up flying in technicians, tools and materials.
I see a possible loophole in educational establishments. Students ( probably post grad) can pursue something just for the knowledge of it. What they then do with the knowledge when on work placement is just a coincidence.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

proteus

Tizz wrote:
proteus wrote:
mclaren111 wrote:

Flying them in was not the question at all. I didnt think they would hire africans to do it. It is just about being far away that noone knows what you are doing. Then you are free to test as much as you can and spend money freely, hidden far far away. Thats what i ment.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

diffuser

proteus wrote:
mclaren111 wrote:
proteus wrote:
21 Dec 2021, 10:38

Who and what is preventing them to do the work in remote areas of the world by some unknown subcontracter? This budget cap will only limit those which allready have problems due to a lack of funds. Long story short, the gap will be the same or even bigger.

Like most things in F1, not just the FIA is watching, other teams are watching too.

MrGapes

When is the new Mclaren Wind tunnel expected to be complete and operational? 2022-2023?

Tizz

Big Tea wrote:
23 Dec 2021, 14:37
Tizz wrote:
proteus wrote:

I see a possible loophole in educational establishments. Students ( probably post grad) can pursue something just for the knowledge of it. What they then do with the knowledge when on work placement is just a coincidence.
Could be something. In my experience, students have the talent to think without borders and limitations. Having had the opportunity to work with a bunch of those guys was very inspirational.

Postmoe

Big Tea wrote:
23 Dec 2021, 14:37
Tizz wrote:
proteus wrote:

I routinely get involved in audits for this kind of stuff because of the use of free licenses for the development of R&D, service contracts to commercial companies, selling of royalties... Research groups at universities always try it, they get away for some time and finally get caught and always pay, as it puts at risk their EU funding. Still a big risk for very marginal results as a F1 team IMO, although I would really enjoy getting involved.

1m0bius1
1m0bius1

MrGapes wrote:
24 Dec 2021, 10:21
When is the new Mclaren Wind tunnel expected to be complete and operational? 2022-2023?
Q4 2022

diffuser

1m0bius1 wrote:
24 Dec 2021, 14:16
MrGapes wrote:
24 Dec 2021, 10:21
Q4 2022
Presumably...

the EDGE
the EDGE

Over the past decade we’ve seen teams take advantage of their 2 filming days in a variety of ways

Pre-season test shakedowns are common, saving them for for testing aero & engines post-testing & later in the season too

Last year McLaren uniquely used both days before testing to get a head-start on cooling evaluation of the new Merc package

It’s got me wondering what they will do this year, back to a split of a pre-test shakedown and save the second, or hold both days before again

With the testing only 8 weeks away, that could mean the Mcl36 hits the track in only 6 or 7 weeks time 😁

Merry Xmas & happy holidays everyone 🥂🍾🎅
Last edited by the EDGE on 26 Dec 2021, 20:40, edited 1 time in total.

mclaren111

Merry Christmas One & All... :D :D

djos

mclaren111 wrote:
25 Dec 2021, 11:51
Merry Christmas One & All... :D :D
And to you too buddy! 👍🎄🍺🖖
"In downforce we trust"

MrGapes

Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas.

Just came across this, it’s from 2 months ago, Zak mentions a bit about the new wind tunnel and sim

Around the last 10 mins

Emag
Emag

I had some free time for the holidays and just for fun I decided to look into the older team threads. And to see the massively disappointed fans after the end of 2012, due to missed opportunities after having the best car that season...

It just hits different with hindsight. To think that was the last time McLaren would be a title contender for the next decade. Nobody would have ever predicted that. It's so weird how in the span of two years the team went from having the fastest car in 2012 to having the (pretty much) slowest car on the grid in 2015.

I hope the time comes back again, where missing a win and not missing on third is considered a disappointment. Having followed the sport for so long, these last 8 or so years have felt "unnatural" without having McLaren at the front. It's just a name that in my head is embedded as strong competitor on the sport. I just hope the "natural" state in Formula 1 is restored soon. I really really miss seeing McLaren at the front.

mclaren111

Emag wrote:
28 Dec 2021, 01:06
I had some free time for the holidays and just for fun I decided to look into the older team threads. And to see the massively disappointed fans after the end of 2012, due to missed opportunities after having the best car that season...

It just hits different with hindsight. To think that was the last time McLaren would be a title contender for the next decade. Nobody would have ever predicted that. It's so weird how in the span of two years the team went from having the fastest car in 2012 to having the (pretty much) slowest car on the grid in 2015.

I hope the time comes back again, where missing a win and not missing on third is considered a disappointment. Having followed the sport for so long, these last 8 or so years have felt "unnatural" without having McLaren at the front. It's just a name that in my head is embedded as strong competitor on the sport. I just hope the "natural" state in Formula 1 is restored soon. I really really miss seeing McLaren at the front.

Same here... I'm a Mclaren supporter since 1988 & can't wait for us to be champions again...