2021 Williams F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
El Scorchio

Re: 2021 Williams F1 Team

Manoah2u wrote:
08 Sep 2021, 15:54
WELL i got to say i am saying that i'm suprised how much F1 has become a 'return of' by now. Ocon was out, came back. Albon was out, came back. Alonso was out, came back. Kubica was out, came back. Schumacher was out, came back.

Anyway, I think the Williams environment will be better for Albon though.
Perhaps Williams gets paid by RBR for the seat, perhaps Williams even benefits from some RBR tech. Who knows there's even a engine deal in the future (2023).

But one thing that i'm baffled about is that it;s a non-merc driver there now.

SO, with Bottas going to Alfa, and likely De Vries going there too, Alfa turns into a Mercedes team effectively. It's interesting how much 'Toto' is handling F1.

AMG Mercedes, Aston Martin Mercedes, Mclaren Mercedes, Williams Mercedes, And now Alfa Romeo Ferrari with (supposedly) two Mercedes drivers and there's even claims they'll race Mercedes engines - though i find that hard to believe.
Well he's not handling it very well if Albon is driving for a Mercedes powered team!

zjeeraar
zjeeraar

Here’s a thought that entered my head… how about Williams racing with Red Bull engines next year (or the year after) to get out of the Mercedes sphere of influence?
There are already ties between Jost Capito and Red Bull as Red Bull was main sponsor of VW when he was head of their rally program..
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

zjeeraar wrote:
08 Sep 2021, 16:21
Here’s a thought that entered my head… how about Williams racing with Red Bull engines next year (or the year after) to get out of the Mercedes sphere of influence?
There are already ties between Jost Capito and Red Bull as Red Bull was main sponsor of VW when he was head of their rally program..
Except for Toto recently increasing his a stake in Williams iirc.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

diffuser

Manoah2u wrote:
08 Sep 2021, 16:47
zjeeraar wrote:
Except for Toto recently increasing his a stake in Williams iirc.

Didn't Toto have to sell his stake at one point ?

He reiterated the case of the returned Williams shares, “To clarify: I sold the Williams shares but I got them back because they were held in escrow and the last payment defaulted.
https://www.grandprix247.com/2020/08/17 ... them-back/

Sevach
Sevach

I think those 2 were team mates in F2 for a season.

Mogster

zjeeraar wrote:
Capito was VWs Director of Motorsport wasn’t he…? I find this whole situation very strange unless there’s some very heavy goings on behind the scenes and Williams are intending to be aligned with RBR (and VW?) in future.

Albon isn’t just another RBR junior team member, he seems far more important and integral to the RBR set up than that.

TNTHead

Mogster wrote:
08 Sep 2021, 21:29
zjeeraar wrote:
Capito was VWs Director of Motorsport wasn’t he…? I find this whole situation very strange unless there’s some very heavy goings on behind the scenes and Williams are intending to be aligned with RBR (and VW?) in future.

Albon isn’t just another RBR junior team member, he seems far more important and integral to the RBR set up than that.
What I think of this situation is this: Williams is getting up again, indeed may be trying to regain some independence. Alfa Romeo on the other hand is still developed by the Sauber group? I wouldn't be surprised if they return somewhere in the future as a Sauber team propelled by an Mercedes engine. Then RB may have found a client for their Honda PU in Williams since I suppose Mercedes has enough with three client teams.

Mogster

TNTHead wrote:
08 Sep 2021, 22:11
Mogster wrote:
08 Sep 2021, 21:29
zjeeraar wrote:

What I think of this situation is this: Williams is getting up again, indeed may be trying to regain some independence. Alfa Romeo on the other hand is still developed by the Sauber group? I wouldn't be surprised if they return somewhere in the future as a Sauber team propelled by an Mercedes engine. Then RB may have found a client for their Honda PU in Williams since I suppose Mercedes has enough with three client teams.
Yes I can believe that’s what’s happening with Williams. Sentimentally I’d like to see a Williams Honda in F1 again. I’m not sure RBRs engines will be badged as Hondas for much longer though.

Thinking about it Sauber would be a very good fit for the junior team Toto has always wanted. I would think that would require more funding from the DAG board though, could the arrival of VW in some guise make the difference? If de Vries is announced at AR then it’ll confirm something big is afoot.

ispano6

zjeeraar wrote:
I would get goosebumps if we saw the return of Williams Honda!

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

So if Williams gets VAG engines, they're going to be on par with Mclaren on different engine manufacturers (8 in total).
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Mr Brooksy

zjeeraar wrote:
There would be some good sense in that theory except for the well documented fact that Williams has a contract with Mercedes for PUs, gearboxes and hydraulics till 2025.

No team will break a contract with such a large manufacturer and not expect serious ramifications with future agreements with anyone.

For example, when Honda did the dodgy deal with McLaren in the 80s, Williams refused to sign with Honda ever again under the leadership of the Williams family for the rest of their history. Or the issue with Alonso and Mercedes? He cost himself any chance of racing with the three pointed star due to those circumstances.

There are many more examples, but the point is, breaking a contract like that only puts big doubts in the minds of existing and potential partners for a long time.

Post '25, totally a big possibility, if not for VW...
WilliamsF1 fan since 1989

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

Mr Brooksy

Anyone else notice on the onboard that Russell's left glove is sporting a chronograph image? I didn't realise we still had a watch maker as a sponsor still, since Oris left us.
WilliamsF1 fan since 1989

Tattoo-

From the start of the season they are sponsored by Bremont.

Bremont.com
"There are only three sports: bull fighting, car racing and mountain climbing. The rest are mere games!" - Ernest Hemingway

Mr.S
Mr.S

About Williams's engine, if VW does enter in 2014, both Mclaren, Williams & the 2 RB teams will take a look @ them due to earlier ties. That is VW group (Porsche or Audi) can produce an engine capable of beating Mercedes. I mean Mclaren was a works team with Mercedes stakeholder & now they are just a customer team behind Mercedes who are much more funded & have an advantage of being a Works team !

You also never know with Haas - I doubt the team survives till even 2025 !