Silly season 2021-2022-2023

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
nzjrs

Re: Silly season 2021-2022-2023

Ryar wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 15:46
LOL. 1+1 = 3. A family man recognises that the demands of his job is taking toll on his family life and having achieved the dream of winning the title, doesn't want to sacrifice family commitments. A hardcore driver fan reads it as, "i am afraid of competing with Hamilton". :lol:
My friend, i have seen misplaced comprehension skills in a few posts of yours.
FWIW I agree with you. I respect Rosberg for walking away as he did as much as I respect Kimi for not yet retiring. I think dans is being too harsh here.

Hamilton might retire after 8, as that is his dream and he retires on his terms. From the perspective of achieving ones life goal, that's what Rosberg did. Power and respect to both of them.

ringo

I did not know formula1 was like tennis where you add up games across a set.
A season is a season. Why the heck are people adding up points across a season? what kind on nonsense is that? lol
Button got beat two out of three years he was teammates with Lewis. And they were not even focused on fighting each other when Button got ahead in 2011. Lewis was just focused on Vettel and was taking more risk. He was never focused or caring about Button.
At the time he was very much young and focused on winning at all costs and didnt care much for anything but wins.

As for Rosberg. same story. beat 3 years running.

Doesnt change the fact Hamilton is hard to beat over a season. Max is finding that out now. Superior car and #2 driver and he dumped 32 point lead overnight. He is already showing signs he wont win the WDC this year even with a Newey Bullet Train.
For Sure!!

Just_a_fan

Ryar wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 15:46
dans79 wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 15:29
Ryar wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 15:16
2021 is similar to 2016 in many ways. A young talented driver has gotten into Hamilton's head, which has brought out so many mistakes.
LOL, and the younger driver (by a few months), said he had to sacrifice so much and commit so much effort to do it, that he was retiring because he wasn't willing to do it again!
LOL. 1+1 = 3. A family man recognises that the demands of his job is taking toll on his family life and having achieved the dream of winning the title, doesn't want to sacrifice family commitments. A hardcore driver fan reads it as, "i am afraid of competing with Hamilton". :lol:
My friend, i have seen misplaced comprehension skills in a few posts of yours.
Please stop with the little ad hominem at the ends of so many of your posts. It's unnecessary.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

SmallSoldier

politburo wrote:
Ryar wrote:
19 Jul 2021, 10:53
politburo wrote:
19 Jul 2021, 10:37
Bottas again playing the team game yesterday. It's hard to see him leaving Mercedes given how much of a team player (support driver) he still is, he'll never threaten Hamilton, and Hamilton said he'd rather fight Verstappen than a "selfish" teammate.
One can imagine the state of his self respect. :lol:

Since when did fighting the team mate became "selfish" in F1? :)
Since 2016 one would imagine. It's quite intriguing, given Hamilton has had Alonso and Button who were both excellent, especially the latter who won plenty of points for the McLaren team in the RB 2010-2012 era. Now it sounds like he has it so good with Bottas. Which in turn may never provide Russell the chance to fight for race wins despite his excellent one-lap pace.
Never? The kid is in his third season in F1… If he keeps proving himself… He will get his chance… Maybe not next season, but at the end, the best drivers end in the best cars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aMessageToCharlie

ringo wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 16:58
I did not know formula1 was like tennis where you add up games across a set.
A season is a season. Why the heck are people adding up points across a season? what kind on nonsense is that? lol
Button got beat two out of three years he was teammates with Lewis. And they were not even focused on fighting each other when Button got ahead in 2011. Lewis was just focused on Vettel and was taking more risk. He was never focused or caring about Button.
At the time he was very much young and focused on winning at all costs and didnt care much for anything but wins.

As for Rosberg. same story. beat 3 years running.

Doesnt change the fact Hamilton is hard to beat over a season. Max is finding that out now. Superior car and #2 driver and he dumped 32 point lead overnight. He is already showing signs he wont win the WDC this year even with a Newey Bullet Train.
He is hard to beat.

Both have a clear #2 team mate now, so fair enough. Even though Perrez seems to be doing an "Albon" now after some good results at first.

But:
RBR superior car
Mercedes qualifying 1st and 3rd at Silverstone
-pick one

And in 2011 Lewis was manly focused on Massa and "the pussycat dolls" if I remember correctly.

NathanOlder

Not sure why people make such a fuss of Lewis being beaten by his team mate, Schumacher, Senna, Max have all been beaten by their team mates, so its not really anything to use as ammo against Lewis.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Big Tea

NathanOlder wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 11:38
Not sure why people make such a fuss of Lewis being beaten by his team mate, Schumacher, Senna, Max have all been beaten by their team mates, so its not really anything to use as ammo against Lewis.
It also shows that the equipment is equal and not biased in a lead drivers favour.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

JordanMugen

SmallSoldier wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 17:51
Never? The kid is in his third season in F1… If he keeps proving himself… He will get his chance… Maybe not next season, but at the end, the best drivers end in the best cars
Leclerc was promoted after one season, Gasly was promoted after one season, Albon was promoted after half a season, Norris went straight into McLaren, Hamilton went straight into McLaren, Magnuessen went straight into McLaren, Vandoorne went straight into McLaren, Senna was promoted to Lotus after one season, Raikkonen was promoted to McLaren after one season, Alesi was promoted to Ferrari after 1.5 seasons, Verstappen to Red Bull after 1.25 seasons, Schumacher was promoted to Benetton after one race (!!!)...

Why should Russell wait so long? It's absurd!

El Scorchio

JordanMugen wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 16:51
SmallSoldier wrote:
Leclerc was promoted after one season, Gasly was promoted after one season, Albon was promoted after half a season, Norris went straight into McLaren, Hamilton went straight into McLaren, Magnuessen went straight into McLaren, Vandoorne went straight into McLaren, Senna was promoted to Lotus after one season, Raikkonen was promoted to McLaren after one season, Alesi was promoted to Ferrari after 1.5 seasons, Verstappen to Red Bull after 1.25 seasons, Schumacher was promoted to Benetton after one race (!!!)...

There's no available seat for him at Mercedes yet. I'm sure he could pick from most of the other teams and get a drive elsewhere if he really wanted, but he's doing the sensible thing and waiting for THE seat.

JordanMugen

El Scorchio wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 16:56
There's no available seat for him at Mercedes yet. I'm sure he could pick from most of the other teams and get a drive elsewhere if he really wanted, but he's doing the sensible thing and waiting for THE seat.
Bottas has no contract for 2022. :wink:

Russell has no contract for 2022. 1+1=2 =D>

It makes zero sense to retain Bottas when Bottas has shown time and time again to be an inferior driver to Rosberg (just count Bottas wins per season compared to Rosberg wins per season). If Russell is even as speedy as Rosberg, that would be an improvement. =D>

El Scorchio

JordanMugen wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 16:58
El Scorchio wrote:
Bottas has no contract for 2022. :wink:

Russell has no contract for 2022. 1+1=2 =D>

It makes zero sense to retain Bottas when Bottas has shown time and time again to be an inferior driver to Rosberg (just count Bottas wins per season compared to Rosberg wins per season). If Russell is even as speedy as Rosberg, that would be an improvement. =D>
That’s the team’s call. If they think Hamilton + Russell is more likely to yield a double championship than Hamilton + Bottas then they’ll make it.

Jolle

JordanMugen wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

My guess is that has more to do with the seat they were filling then the ability they showed at the moment.
Some of the drivers weren’t employed or in a junior program of the team they were contracted by quite soon (Senna, Alesi, Schumacher, Raikkonen) and all of those teams had a big vacuum to fill (Mansell, Mansell again, (an aging Piquet, Hakkinen) and the second tier are drivers in a junior program who were promoted quite quickly (sometimes to quickly) because of the same reason. McLaren was of course looking for the new Hamilton, and probably promoted Mag and Van too soon. Norris luckily had a nice year with a bit less pressure because of the disappointing years of McLaren before his arrival. One of
Mercedes strengths over the past few seasons was the clear focus on Hamilton, with Bottas as a natural second driver (fast, but not challenging when it mattered). Bringing Russell after his first year, would have significantly risk for all parties. Either it’s to much, not the driving but the pressure of such a big operation with whole different goals, that could ended in overdriving, silly mistakes. Mercedes/Wolff are very much looking at the mid/long term in these cases. Plus Russell isn’t the first driver of the Mercedes program that was looking at a great future but turned out not the level needed. Up to now, Russell looks like the real deal and I think it’s time…
Last edited by Jolle on 22 Jul 2021, 17:14, edited 1 time in total.

dans79

JordanMugen wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

Of all those you listed, only Hamilton was put into a car truly capable of winning a championship, and even then that's only because Mclaren had two open seats, not by choice (Montoya went to nascar and Kimi to ferrari).

Russell is in a much more complicated spot. For him to get a seat someone needs to be fired, and you are talking about putting him into a team that has won 7 consecutive team and driver titles.
Last edited by dans79 on 22 Jul 2021, 17:54, edited 1 time in total.
197 104 103 7

Big Tea

Mercedes also know that if one car takes the other off, only one car scores good points. If they take each other out then there could be few or no points.
is it better to have one maximising and one backing up, or two going for broke?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

codetower

El Scorchio wrote:
JordanMugen wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

Exactly. And he's probably been told that he has a seat there eventually. I Think it'll happen, not necessarily because Bottas is "a bad driver", but because Mercedes knows that Hamilton is not going to drive forever (he is 36... 37 in January), Russel WILL get good offers from other teams so they need to secure a top talent for the next 5+ years to replace Hamilton. They can always try and bring Bottas back once Hamilton retires... especially if Bottas goes to Williams. For now, it's the only logical choice; Leclerc wont leave Ferrari in 3 years, I really don't see Verstappen going to Mercedes, and I believe Lando just signed for 3 years earlier this year (not sure of the details). Right now, outside of those 5 drivers (HAM, VER, NOR, RUS, LEC), there seems to be a decent drop-off.