Rep/notifications technical issue

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
zibby43
zibby43
606
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:16 am

Re: Rep/notifications technical issue

Post

Steven wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:01 pm
As for mentioning people with @ , the developers of phpbb (software package we use as a basis here) have moved this ahead to a future release. It was initially meant to be available already.

I'm a contributor to that project, so I try to steer things a bit according to our wishes, but I don't have the time to implement it all myself :mrgreen:

And with regards to the notifications issue... I'll update here when a fix is coming/deployed. Just a tiny little bit more patience please :D
=D>

User avatar
GOAT
0
Joined: Mon May 10, 2021 4:40 pm

Re: Rep/notifications technical issue

Post

Just found out that there is this ‘reputation’ system on this forum. :| :lol:

I have a ‘question’ for Steven and his ‘Gladiators’;

While viewing my profile, I noticed my ‘reputation’ of -2.

app.php/reputation/details/0/0/0/0/43513

Then when I look at:

“ Ratings for user GOAT”

It states that:

“ Reputation changes for deleted posts or topics are not shown here.”

.. this is not correct, as reputation changes for deleted posts are still shown ánd still count.

Furthermore, it’s clear people are misusing the downvote system- but I don’t mind.

Whatever makes ‘you’ happy, I am just thankful I could be a part of it. 8)

User avatar
Wouter
88
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:02 pm

Re: Rep/notifications technical issue

Post

zibby43 wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:08 pm
Wouter wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:00 pm
zibby43 wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:28 pm
Ever since the site update, I don’t receive notifications for rep or post replies.

I also can’t upvote other posts. I have to reload the page, or the vote is stuck in “submitting” status in perpetuity.

Noticing this on both mobile (Safari on iPhone with most recent iOS) and laptop (Firefox).

Anyone else? Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.
.
Ever since the site update, I don’t receive notifications for upvotes. Noticing this on laptop (Firefox).
.
Thank you for confirming I wasn’t the only one. Looks like we have the browser in common on the laptop.

As an update, notifications for posts now seem to be working on the phone with Safari and iOS.
Steven wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:01 pm
And with regards to the notifications issue... I'll update here when a fix is coming/deployed.

Just a tiny little bit more patience please :D
.
I still don't get notifications about votes.
We waited just a little bit longer now, from February to September. :lol:
Is there any news yet?
The Power of Honda!

User avatar
RZS10
272
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:23 am

Re: Rep/notifications technical issue

Post

I wasn't even aware that there's supposed to be notifications for recommendations/ratings and i honestly can't recall ever getting one :lol:

GOAT wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:32 am
It states that:

“ Reputation changes for deleted posts or topics are not shown here.”

.. this is not correct, as reputation changes for deleted posts are still shown ánd still count.

Furthermore, it’s clear people are misusing the downvote system- but I don’t mind.
You misunderstood this - any positive ratings will be removed (or at least should be, mods sometimes forget) when the post gets deleted as posts which are worthy of deletion should not yield positive reputation.
However any negative reputation will stay even if the posts get deleted, otherwise this would turn the forum into a troll's paradise if the well earned negative rep would disappear with all the off topic posts/trolling.

On a sidenote: The misusage of the voting system is far more prevalent for positive ratings.

User avatar
GOAT
0
Joined: Mon May 10, 2021 4:40 pm

Re: Rep/notifications technical issue

Post

RZS10 wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:37 pm
GOAT wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:32 am
It states that:

“ Reputation changes for deleted posts or topics are not shown here.”
You misunderstood this..
I do believe I did not, thank you very much; reputation changes covers positive- and negative changes, there is no exception.

Therefor downvotes for deleted posts should not be visible.

User avatar
RZS10
272
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:23 am

Re: Rep/notifications technical issue

Post

You were seemingly unaware of the system in general so i thought i'd give you an insight into how it works - obviously if you disagree with the wording of that sentence or want to be extremely nitpicky about it you can shoot the mods a message and maybe they will be so kind as to remove the visibility of your negative ratings from that overview (obviously leaving the ratings themselves) - but it's unlikely since they're there for a reason, which is learning from past mistakes. You can also suggest a change of the wording which more than likely will and should be ignored because it's something not a single person had an issue with so far.

User avatar
GOAT
0
Joined: Mon May 10, 2021 4:40 pm

Re: Rep/notifications technical issue

Post

RZS10 wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:46 pm
You were seemingly unaware of the system in general so i thought i'd give you an insight into how it works - obviously if you disagree with the wording of that sentence or want to be extremely nitpicky about it you can shoot the mods a message and maybe they will be so kind as to remove the visibility of your negative ratings from that overview (obviously leaving the ratings themselves) - but it's unlikely since they're there for a reason, which is learning from past mistakes. You can also suggest a change of the wording which more than likely will and should be ignored because it's something not a single person had an issue with so far.
Your answer says it all; I do not need to know a ‘system’ in order to spot an error.

I am pointing out the discrepancy- when it’s wrong, it’s wrong and it should be revised + corrected.

Instead I get ignored by the people operating this website. :roll:
The same people who are immediately there to hand out warnings for ‘trolling attacks’ and such nonsense..

The most comical part is that you mention it should simply be ignored, because nobody ever noticed it.. if only I were that ‘simple’, my life would be a lot ‘easier’.

-edit-

If I receive a warning for the type of words I choose, then those same people should make sure that their own wording is impeccable.

User avatar
GOAT
0
Joined: Mon May 10, 2021 4:40 pm

Re: Rep/notifications technical issue

Post

RZS10 wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:37 pm
if the well earned negative rep
Btw.

Just noticed your chosen wording in this post.

“Well earned”

In my case, someone used up all their downvotes for that day on me- I received several downvotes in consecutive minutes, with similar comical explanations; clearly someone was trying to make a point… :lol:

User avatar
nzjrs
60
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:21 am
Location: Redacted

Re: Rep/notifications technical issue

Post

GOAT wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:51 pm
RZS10 wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:37 pm
if the well earned negative rep
Btw.

Just noticed your chosen wording in this post.

“Well earned”

In my case, someone used up all their downvotes for that day on me- I received several downvotes in consecutive minutes, with similar comical explanations; clearly someone was trying to make a point… :lol:
People with rep can only downvote each poster once, and only IIRC something like 2 downvotes per day. It appears that people independely determined your posts worthy of spending their limited downvotes on.

User avatar
GOAT
0
Joined: Mon May 10, 2021 4:40 pm

Re: Rep/notifications technical issue

Post

nzjrs wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:07 pm
People with rep can only downvote each poster once, and only IIRC something like 2 downvotes per day. It appears that people independely determined your posts worthy of spending their limited downvotes on.
I did not say all downvotes went to a single post; but it is to be expected some are ‘ganging up’.

The best explanation for a downvote was:
wtf are these upvotes

:| :lol:

User avatar
RZS10
272
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:23 am

Re: Rep/notifications technical issue

Post

GOAT wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:51 pm
RZS10 wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:37 pm
if the well earned negative rep
Btw.

Just noticed your chosen wording in this post.

“Well earned”

In my case, someone used up all their downvotes for that day on me- I received several downvotes in consecutive minutes, with similar comical explanations; clearly someone was trying to make a point… :lol:
I hadn't checked your ratings when i posted that, it was just a broad phrasing in the explanation as i do believe that the negative ratings on average are usually fair, i have that much faith in a vast majority of longtime users here, same as i believe that mods would not delete a post without reason.

I'm not sure whether this is the right place to disect your ratings but the only incorrect negative one i see is "wtf are these upvotes" but not because it's wrong (it isn't, see below*) but because users aren't supposed to offset ratings they disagree with, i can't see one of the posts but as mentioned already i'm sure the mods had every reason to delete it.

In general the reasoning for the ratings is supposed to give the users a chance to see why they received it, to allow for some introspection - or as turbo1 wrote in a PM and surely doesn't mind me quoting him:
The rating system is not meant as a like/dislike button [*see above]. Offsetting objectively correct negative ratings with positive rating[s] is obviously not allowed. Feedback [of motivation for negative ratings] has to be constructive and has to help the member avoid objectively wrongful posts in the future.
I don't know if dismissing all those ratings as comical or "ganging up" (which nzjrs pointed out surely isn't the case) is the correct attitude, but that's just my personal opinion.

You can always write a PM to the mods if you sincerely believe that any ratings you received were unfair, just as you could start a seperate thread politely asking if they could potentially add the word "Positive [...] " to the sentence on the overview page to better reflect what it shows if you truly believe that it is necessary - it will bring you further than hijacking a thread about missing notifications for your complaints.

User avatar
jjn9128
727
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 10:53 pm

Re: Rep/notifications technical issue

Post

GOAT wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:13 pm
nzjrs wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:07 pm
People with rep can only downvote each poster once, and only IIRC something like 2 downvotes per day. It appears that people independely determined your posts worthy of spending their limited downvotes on.
I did not say all downvotes went to a single post; but it is to be expected some are ‘ganging up’.

The best explanation for a downvote was:
wtf are these upvotes

:| :lol:
You'll notice when you click the upvote button it says "Rate up to recommend this post as valuable and of technical value". The emphasis on technical value as this is a technical forum - or at least the threads I frequent are. From my understanding mods have the power to remove upvotes where it's just cohorts of people agreeing with one another - that's not the point of the upvote. Similarly the downvote tool can be used to single out content which has little or no technical value - you know, on a technical forum!

So "wtf are these upvotes" would seem to indicate someone is flagging tribalistic upvoting of a technically bereft post so the mods can check. Which given the post was,
True.

A
L
O
N
S
O
.

Would be great to see.
which I would frankly agree with as it offers nothing of technical value so what exactly are you complaining about?
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

zibby43
zibby43
606
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:16 am

Re: Rep/notifications technical issue

Post

I’ve gotten used to how the system operates now. Guess we’re just going to have to live with it?

At least I’m getting notifications for quoted posts again!

User avatar
GOAT
0
Joined: Mon May 10, 2021 4:40 pm

Re: Rep/notifications technical issue

Post

jjn9128 wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:27 pm
GOAT wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:13 pm
nzjrs wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:07 pm
People with rep can only downvote each poster once, and only IIRC something like 2 downvotes per day. It appears that people independely determined your posts worthy of spending their limited downvotes on.
I did not say all downvotes went to a single post; but it is to be expected some are ‘ganging up’.

The best explanation for a downvote was:
wtf are these upvotes

:| :lol:
You'll notice when you click the upvote button it says "Rate up to recommend this post as valuable and of technical value". The emphasis on technical value as this is a technical forum - or at least the threads I frequent are. From my understanding mods have the power to remove upvotes where it's just cohorts of people agreeing with one another - that's not the point of the upvote. Similarly the downvote tool can be used to single out content which has little or no technical value - you know, on a technical forum!

So "wtf are these upvotes" would seem to indicate someone is flagging tribalistic upvoting of a technically bereft post so the mods can check. Which given the post was,
True.

A
L
O
N
S
O
.

Would be great to see.
which I would frankly agree with as it offers nothing of technical value so what exactly are you complaining about?
“ Feedback [of motivation for negative ratings] has to be constructive and has to help the member avoid objectively wrongful posts in the future.”

|

How does “WTF are these upvotes” relate to “Feedback for negative ratings has to be constructive..”

|

My complain? Negative/positive rating changes for deleted posts should be made not visible, as stated.

Current policy does not comply with what is written- obviously they can change what they have written, but that doesn’t apply retroactively.

User avatar
RZS10
272
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:23 am

Re: Rep/notifications technical issue

Post

What exactly do you want changed? Do you want negative ratings of deleted posts removed? Or do you want the text changed? Seems like you're just stirring the pot for the sake of it.