Mercedes W12

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
OO7
OO7

Re: Mercedes W12

zibby43 wrote:
30 Jul 2021, 19:32
OO7 wrote:
30 Jul 2021, 12:46
I don't have any pictures to show it, but it looks to me like the sidepod cooling inlets have been modified and are slightly larger. From head-on it looks like the outer upper corner is higher and then slopes down towards the cockpit.
That would be a pretty substantial change, if true!

Edit: You don’t think it’s an optical illusion created by the fact that the large side pod deflector element has been split into vertical and horizontal elements right in the area you’re referring to?
That's a fair point zibby, but I don't remember it being that way during the Silverstone weekend. I'll try and see if I can find some head-on shots to compare.

OO7
OO7

I've just compared some Hungary practice photos with those from Silverstone and you are right zibby. They're the same and the difference (to pre-Silverstone images) is caused by the new horizontal element that was introduced as part of the Silverstone upgrade.

djones

I suspected the recent upgrades were actually to fix an issue rather than gain performance in the traditional upgrade way.

It does look to be the case as despite previous years this track and temperature was set to suit Redbull more than Mercedes.

Tvetovnato

Looking at the pole lap replay and comparing the engine sound to the pole lap of Imola for example, it sounds really different. Any ideas why? Do they mix the sound before posting to touch it up a bit perhaps?

zibby43

OO7 wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 14:13
I've just compared some Hungary practice photos with those from Silverstone and you are right zibby. They're the same and the difference (to pre-Silverstone images) is caused by the new horizontal element that was introduced as part of the Silverstone upgrade.
Thanks for confirming!

pursue_one's

Red Bull responded to the power loss on the straights [against Mercedes] with a smaller rear wing.
The smaller rear wing almost compensated the speed disadvantage on the straights, but now the downforce was missing in the corners.

Adrian Newey:
"We're running the same power as before. Mercedes must have recently found a bit more power."

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... garn-2021/

jurinius

pursue_one's wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 22:18
Red Bull responded to the power loss on the straights [against Mercedes] with a smaller rear wing.
The smaller rear wing almost compensated the speed disadvantage on the straights, but now the downforce was missing in the corners.

Adrian Newey:
"We're running the same power as before. Mercedes must have recently found a bit more power."

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... garn-2021/
Adrian is just playing it safer. You can't tell us that, because we know Redbull priority is to finish this GP with less damage. This Honda PU has shown better capacity than that this season and will be back for sure. Like someone says Mercedes may have fixed an aero issue more probable than gain some PU advantage.
“And suddenly I realized that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension.”
― Ayrton Senna

ispano6

Excuse if already posted.

atanatizante

I don`t think the cars were on the same spot on track but it`s a fairly good rake comparison ... yeah, RB16B has more on it but W12 don`t need to go so far bearing in mind they have a longer wheelbase and could have the same amount of volume with a lower car rake than RB16B

On another note, it is speculated that on Spa they`ll debut the only oil & fuel upgrade allowed by 2021 regs with the 3rd PU spec, which seems to be a pretty accurate and wise thing to do coz I didn`t hear anything about this since the beginning of the season ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

SiLo

Always interesting to see the front suspension difference between the W12 and the Ferrari.
Felipe Baby!

Tvetovnato

atanatizante wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 14:56
http://postimg.cc/Hrb9kQmC

I don`t think the cars were on the same spot on track but it`s a fairly good rake comparison ... yeah, RB16B has more on it but W12 don`t need to go so far bearing in mind they have a longer wheelbase and could have the same amount of volume with a lower car rake than RB16B

On another note, it is speculated that on Spa they`ll debut the only oil & fuel upgrade allowed by 2021 regs with the 3rd PU spec, which seems to be a pretty accurate and wise thing to do coz I didn`t hear anything about this since the beginning of the season ...
Where is that speculation coming from? Can you please link?

zibby43

Tvetovnato wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 15:49
atanatizante wrote:

Seconded.

I would’ve thought the next PU would come in Monza given PU2 was introduced in France.

atanatizante

zibby43 wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 20:18
Tvetovnato wrote:
atanatizante wrote:

Seconded.

I would’ve thought the next PU would come in Monza given PU2 was introduced in France.
There is a blog dedicated to F1 in my country which has delivered these speculations/rumours and I'm inclined to believe them based on the facts that : 1. usually Merc is changing to a new spec PU in Spa due to having to run the toughest 2 races on the entire calendar (Spa and Monza) and 2. by the fact that they didn`t release any oil&fuel upgrade this year, that I'm aware of ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

zibby43

atanatizante wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 21:13
zibby43 wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 20:18
Tvetovnato wrote:

Seconded.

There is a blog dedicated to F1 in my country which has delivered these speculations/rumours and I'm inclined to believe them based on the facts that : 1. usually Merc is changing to a new spec PU in Spa due to having to run the toughest 2 races on the entire calendar (Spa and Monza) and 2. by the fact that they didn`t release any oil&fuel upgrade this year, that I'm aware of ...
Thanks for sharing. Does this blog have a good reputation for being accurate, in your estimation?

LaplacesDemon

Beat in mind that in previous years when engine development was unrestricted all teams tried to introduce new PUs when the current ones were about to expire in order to give themselves time to incorporate as many updates as possible. There was a trade off between bringing them early at a power sensitive track or waiting for a higher output version a few races later.

With the freeze, new engines offer a power advantage due to degradation so it still appears optimal to deploy fresh units at high power sensitive tracks but there are much fewer downsides to introducing them early in the season.