Ferrari SF21

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
FDD
FDD

Re: Ferrari SF21

New floor again tested on Charles car in FP1

https://www.funoanalisitecnica.com/2021 ... -sf21.html

Sevach

Looks like a mesh from version 1 with the one they have been using since.

gordonthegun

FDD wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 01:42
New floor again tested on Charles car in FP1

https://www.funoanalisitecnica.com/2021 ... -sf21.html
Here it is:

gordonthegun

In my opinion the article is wrong, it is the opposite.
With the new wing the adjustable part of the flap is longer and not shorter as the article says.
In fact they show this image, with the new wing being the upper one:

tpe
tpe

Pro they talk about the part at the left of the image. Engineers will probably have some better view on this, but the way I understand it, it's that the left part is more important because it handles the outwash

gordonthegun

tpe wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 08:59
Pro they talk about the part at the left of the image. Engineers will probably have some better view on this, but the way I understand it, it's that the left part is more important because it handles the outwash
Yes, but they talk about the adjustable part that has been shortened. The adjustable part is the most internal.
Last week I read another article that was speaking about the fact that, with the new wing, the adjustable part had increased allowing a more precise setup.
Last edited by gordonthegun on 26 Jun 2021, 21:54, edited 1 time in total.

aerofoilf1

gordonthegun

I'm always amazed at how big the cooling outlets need to be:

wowgr8

Yeah it really is shocking when compared to Honda and Mercedes especially. That Mercedes engine manages to be the most powerful, most thermally efficient and most fuel efficient all in one, it's a work of art. I think formu1a reported that Ferrari working on a fix for the ERS overheating issues for the next spec of PU to be introduced in Hungary and/or beyond, and that should allow for smaller cooling outlets

Stu

gordonthegun wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 11:17

https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... sf21-1.jpg
I’m more impressed with the tyre deformation visible here (and where the flex point is relative to the rim & tread).
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

gordonthegun

Stu wrote:
28 Jun 2021, 11:49
gordonthegun wrote:

I’m more impressed with the tyre deformation visible here (and where the flex point is relative to the rim & tread).
You are right, and with even lower tire pressures (those before Baku), it would be even more impressive.

FDD
FDD

gordonthegun wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 08:52
In my opinion the article is wrong, it is the opposite.
With the new wing the adjustable part of the flap is longer and not shorter as the article says.
In fact they show this image, with the new wing being the upper one:
https://cdn-4.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... mpar-1.jpg
I think You are right, according to info and pictures that we already seen, text is wrong.

Zynerji

gordonthegun wrote:

This always makes me ask this question:

If the teams put a 150mm thick panel of 10mm Nomex honeycomb inside that outlet, would the relamination of the airstream be helpful to the rear wing? Would it cause much drag if the total frontal area of the leading edge of the panel was 30mm/Sq? That stuff is super thin and light. I'd love to see if it could clean up the wake of the car.

Just_a_fan

Zynerji wrote:
28 Jun 2021, 23:21
gordonthegun wrote:

This always makes me ask this question:

If the teams put a 150mm thick panel of 10mm Nomex honeycomb inside that outlet, would the relamination of the airstream be helpful to the rear wing? Would it cause much drag if the total frontal area of the leading edge of the panel was 30mm/Sq? That stuff is super thin and light. I'd love to see if it could clean up the wake of the car.
You'd still get some vortex shedding from the bluff rear end of the panel causing a von Karman vortex street, so there'd still be vorticity coming from the back of the opening. So the panel would need to streamlined but even then you'd still get alternating vortices being shed. And these would be long vortices across the width of the cooling outlet.

In reality, I doubt the flow coming from the outlets affects the rear wing that much anyway. That is being fed by freestream (nearly) air. The upwash from the wing affects the flow after it has left the cooling outlets and it will be mixed in with the flow coming from the diffuser.

I do wonder whether the flow of hot air from the cooling outlets actually helps the diffuser by effectively reducing the pressure difference above/below it. After all, the whole point of the coke bottle is to direct fast air over the top of the diffuser. Fast air being "low pressure" air. The hot air coming from the cooling outlets will be similarly "low pressure" being hot and moving too. (Using "low pressure" in the basic sense)
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Zynerji

I don't understand the vortex thing on the bluff exit. Laminar water jets can be made by pumping waiter to a panel of drinking straws, then a shaped nozzle.

Are you saying air wouldn't do the same?