Ferrari SF21

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ryaan2904

Re: Ferrari SF21

f1rules wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 15:40
interesing cape
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EwH0e5cXYAc ... name=small
Is that tiny inlet beneath the kaspersky logo there to feed the S duct?
CFD Eyes of Sauron

Mandrake

Interesting how with little colour change and form tweaking the nose can look that much different.

Surely there's a development, but without changing the crash structure there is only so much they could actually do I guess

ryaan2904

JPBD1990 wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 15:44
Any insights from rear suspension? We know this was a focus and where 2 tokens were used. There has been much talk of the Mercedes rear suspension, and possibly red bull converging on a similar path too. Can anyone tell from the available pics where this falls? Doesn’t look particularly radical from what I can see, which is obviously limited.

I think the sidepods and barge boards look quite advanced and well done. The rear end of the coke bottle though, appears less tapered than last year - despite their spiel saying the exact opposite. Perhaps just not flattering pictures as yet.
I think you'll notice the taper when top view images are released. The rear section of the merc philosophy cars are lengthier as compared to Ferrari or redbull. Their side pods also start much further as compared to Ferrari. So it might not look like much when viewed from the side. Lets see whats there when the top sections are available
CFD Eyes of Sauron

Just_a_fan

The rear bodywork is very wide on the new car where it runs back to the rear suspension.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

ryaan2904

Anybody else notice how Ferrari have completely removed those cooling louvres on the cockpit just below the halo? Is that good? :?:
CFD Eyes of Sauron

wowgr8

Last year they showed the 2019 front wing on the 2020 car at launch then brought a new one (the one they used all through 2020) at testing. I'd take these pics with a pinch of salt

ferkan

Just_a_fan wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 17:55
The rear bodywork is very wide on the new car where it runs back to the rear suspension.
Its wider but also angle is different.

Sevach

Ferrari is one of the most modified cars i can see (Alpine also is quite different from the old Renault).
They managed change the nose and cape around the structure of the old nose.
Sidepods went even more in Red Bulls direction, inlets very similar, drop more noticeable.

Looks more "trendy" closer to what the big boys are doing, let's see how fast it is.

Just_a_fan

ferkan wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 18:01
Just_a_fan wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 17:55
Its wider but also angle is different.
One can see the gap between the bodywork and the inner face of the rear windows is much reduced in the new car.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

senja

Schifty wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 15:16
The body work i like it, but really Ferrari ? seeing the choice to put Mission Winnow in flashy green on matte red and cartoon paint number ??? Just about this, i'm worried about if those changes maded are good. I mean if they can't properly make a decision about the look of the car, they propably dont also about the chassis too.

Anyway i dont think all the chassis will be used at Bahrein, i see too much changes for only 2 token :/
And everything you see is done without single token used. The tokens are spent on rear suspension, that you can't clearly see on these photos.

Blackout

Morteza wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 17:41
Nicolas Carpentiers wrote:Apart from the different geometry (front element of the top wishbone seems to attach further forward to gearbox), there is something new in this area, see yellow. Not sure what is it. Aero device (it was part of the bodywork in 2020) or mechanical one (but what)?
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EwIPKBQXAAI ... ame=medium
It's bodywork IMO. Ferrari usually put a vane there, in the air exit, to enhance air extraction.
the-race.com
Last edited by Blackout on 10 Mar 2021, 22:35, edited 1 time in total.

aerofoilf1

Changes to the floor edge (many teams have also gone to a double element above the floor edge for 2021) and the forward sidepod vanes

FDD
FDD

Morteza wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 17:41
Nicolas Carpentiers wrote:Apart from the different geometry (front element of the top wishbone seems to attach further forward to gearbox), there is something new in this area, see yellow. Not sure what is it. Aero device (it was part of the bodywork in 2020) or mechanical one (but what)?
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EwIPKBQXAAI ... ame=medium
It looks to me that they manage to mount lower wishbones higher. Am I right???

wowgr8

https://the-race.com/formula-1/ferraris ... gh-tokens/

Because of the two token limits Ferrari has not been able to do it in quite the same way as Mercedes. So instead of mounting the rear leg into the crash structure – which was the Mercedes solution – Ferrari has instead created a longer gearbox casing stretching back into that area and mounted the suspension leg onto that – still much further back than before but without being mounted onto the crash structure.

Spending the tokens on a gearbox change has allowed Ferrari to make a further significant change. The differential has been raised so as to create deeper side channels in that aerodynamically-sensitive area. The new casing incorporates that change too.

Regarding the power unit, gains in excess of 20bhp have been made though that would still appear to leave it some way short of reclaiming the power that was lost to the 2020 tec directives.