2021 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 07 - 09

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Just_a_fan

Re: 2021 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 07 - 09

TNTHead wrote:
09 May 2021, 20:54
DChemTech wrote:
09 May 2021, 20:12
Some still seem to claim RB and Merc are more or less equal. If that were the case, either Perez is an absolute fool, or Bottas is doing a stellar job. Now, while I did expect more of Perez, I don't think he's that bad... and the general attitude towards Bottas does not seem to be one of stellar driving. In Bahrain, the cars were even or perhaps RB had a slight overhand. But since, the race-pace seems to be in favor of Mercedes. Had Hamilton not beached in Imola, he'd possibly have 4/4 races so far. Had Bottas not had the fuel sensor issue last week, he might have caught Verstappen. And this week, the pace was favoring Hamilton, too. Once he was past Max, it was a done deal. Sure, Max might have made it a bit harder if he had not had the miscommunication with the pitlane - but even with a perfect stop, it would not be enough (nor would pitting a few laps later help, as Hamilton would have taken an undercut, then).

As for the individual performance of Max vs. Lewis, I don't think there is really that clear a conclusion (as some do seem to imply). Both are driving brilliantly. Max takes a bit more risk (possibly to compensate for the seemingly somewhat lesser car), and conversely, makes a bit more errors due to that (which seems to be a side effect of taking more risk). Together they are making quite the show, and that's great. But I do hope RB find a bit more race pace in the car - otherwise every individual race might have its tense moments, but the championship may not.
Well said. After the last few races it is quite clear that the Mercs have the upper hand pace wise.

And RB is still waiting for Perez to deliver and be of help strategy wise. If Perez would have been in front of BOT and behind HAM the second pit stip of HAM could have not played out this way.
Maybe, may be not. I would have been harder to achieve but it might still have been possible. But having Perez too far back definitely helped Hamilton.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

NathanOlder

cheeRS wrote:
09 May 2021, 19:54
Verstappen made another mistake, albeit a small one. But you don’t win a WDC by making mistakes over and over.

He came in too early, without being called it. This delayed his pits too by around 2 seconds.

And the idea that they could stay out and not cover off Merc’s undercut was just utterly naive - although that was the team’s fault and not Max’s directly.
He came in because Ham was literally about to pass him. Lewis was half a second behind. If Lewis got within 6 tenths going round the last corner, then he was going to get through. Max pitting actually ensured he stayed ahead for stint 2.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Just_a_fan

Wouter wrote:
09 May 2021, 20:57
cheeRS wrote:
Verstappen made another mistake, albeit a small one. But you don’t win a WDC by making mistakes over and over.

He came in too early, without being called it. This delayed his pits too by around 2 seconds.
Teamradio:

Max : We will discuss after the race what went wrong
Gianpiero Lambiase (race-engineer): Yes I know what happend
Max: Yes it is ok

Max fault? It seems it wasn't his fault.
I'm unsure what Max might have done wrong during the race. He appeared to be doing all he could to win.

wesley123

JordanMugen wrote:
09 May 2021, 17:35
Bottas: "I am not here to let people by. I am here to race."

Good stuff!
This was just typical Bottas; Being the person he should be on exactly the wrong moment. Bottas and Hamilton aren't racing each other. They were on vastly different strategies, they are teammates and Hamilton has twice as many points as Bottas now.

Bottas had absolutely no business in holding his teammate up.

And even if he had the business, this is just self-destruction and fuel for the rumors that surround his job security
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

NathanOlder

Midi wrote:
09 May 2021, 20:40
AMG.Tzan wrote:
09 May 2021, 18:29
What a masterclass by Lewis...had it not been for Imola he would have passed Verstapen 4 times on track with similar machinery!!
Verstappen has passed Lewis in every single race this year. Only one time with DRS aid (and outside track limits).

Hell Rosberg did not pass Hamilton 4 times on track in the whole of 2016! 😂
Your counting race starts and restarts ? Then Nico definitely passed Lewis more than 4 times a season.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Just_a_fan

Not sure if this has been posted already. Apologies if it has been.

mafeotul

Midi wrote:
AMG.Tzan wrote:
What a masterclass by Lewis...had it not been for Imola he would have passed Verstapen 4 times on track with similar machinery!!
Verstappen has passed Lewis in every single race this year. Only one time with DRS aid (and outside track limits).

A. To compare Lewis of 2016 to the current driver he is in 2021 is like comparing metal to liquid.

B. Max can pass all he want, points are determined by end of race results.

dtro

wesley123 wrote:
09 May 2021, 21:05
JordanMugen wrote:

Good stuff!
This was just typical Bottas; Being the person he should be on exactly the wrong moment. Bottas and Hamilton aren't racing each other. They were on vastly different strategies, they are teammates and Hamilton has twice as many points as Bottas now.

And even if he had the business, this is just self-destruction and fuel for the rumors that surround his job security
Dude sees the axe hanging over his head and is goading the executioner on. Then again Merc is pretty comfortably P1 in the constructors, not like the result really changed when Hamilton is steaming ahead 1.5 seconds a lap faster. Bottas was never even in contention.

Hoffman900

dtro wrote:
09 May 2021, 21:24
wesley123 wrote:
09 May 2021, 21:05
JordanMugen wrote:

Good stuff!

Dude sees the axe hanging over his head and is goading the executioner on. Then again Merc is pretty comfortably P1 in the constructors, not like the result really changed when Hamilton is steaming ahead 1.5 seconds a lap faster. Bottas was never even in contention.
Exactly.

He needed to race Charles (then Max), not Lewis. Right idea, wrong guy.

RZS10

Apparently Lewis did not defend against Max (that brief moment where Max went into his slipstream he could have defended the inside) because in the briefing they planned for Lewis to give Bottas the slipstream so he could attack Max ... funny that one driver is willing to give up P1 for a potentially better team result and one decides to race despite being on completely different strats

PlatinumZealot

Hoffman900 wrote:
09 May 2021, 19:38
mafeotul wrote:
09 May 2021, 19:35
Think we’re definitely getting off track here.

To get it back to business, why oh why did RedBull not respond after the stop from Hamilton. They might have had a better chance that way. I am sure they had a window, even if minute. How are they expecting to win titles against serial winners if they don’t go for a bit of risk and madness sometimes.
Max said in the post race, they just didn’t have the pace, so it would have been easier to defend from the front on a track like that.

Basically he said he knew he was going to be 2nd one way or another as soon as Lewis ducked in.

Max is a but too much of a cyborg for me to be a diehard fan, but he interviews great. Very candid, doesn’t get into the political game or give the media sound bites / play into their games.
Agreed but i wish he weren't so well behaved.
He has balls but seems he has gotten buttered up into a bromance by wiley old Lewis. Too nice and accepting of realities these days, Max! What happened to good old rival hatred?!

Used to be a time when rivals hate each others' guts. Remember Sebastian, Nico and Fernando with their shenanigans? This championship fight just doesnt have the same spice to it. It is sort of boring when they bump fists after the race. :|

That said, Max needs to push back at Lewis off track to get into head because if you don't find something to unsettle Lewis mentaly he is invincible.
Last edited by PlatinumZealot on 09 May 2021, 21:41, edited 2 times in total.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

cheeRS wrote:

And the idea that they could stay out and not cover off Merc’s undercut was just utterly naive - although that was the team’s fault and not Max’s directly.
Are you sure this true?

Edit: never mind.

Found it.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/christian ... -pit-stop/
Last edited by PlatinumZealot on 09 May 2021, 21:56, edited 1 time in total.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

Midi wrote:
AMG.Tzan wrote:

On track? Or on starts/ restarts? I mean lap one lap one passes or restarts don't count as overtakes really.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

TNTHead

PlatinumZealot wrote:
09 May 2021, 21:32

Max needs to push back at Lewis off track to get into head because if you dont find something to unsettle Lewis off track he is invincible.
Good point. If Max stays absent in the mind games (which may be not his talent) he'll have a hard time to force Lewis into errors. You need to show them that whatever they try they'll not get is. At the moment Mercedes has that. It's more than just maximum pace.

NathanOlder

RZS10 wrote:
09 May 2021, 21:31
Apparently Lewis did not defend against Max (that brief moment where Max went into his slipstream he could have defended the inside) because in the briefing they planned for Lewis to give Bottas the slipstream so he could attack Max ... funny that one driver is willing to give up P1 for a potentially better team result and one decides to race despite being on completely different strats
I said hours ago thats what Lewis did, it was obvious by the way Lewis didn't move at all from his line. It was a team tactic to maximise the start.
But like you said, Bottas repays the favour by being a d##k mid race. Bottas must already know he's gone.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.