Rear wing flex and FIA regulatory test 2021

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Sieper

Re: Rear wing flex and FIA regulatory test 2021

The real cost of an appeal is politics. It makes you open for critique and even for counter protests. Al, teams know what others are doing, where they are pushing boundaries more.

Pyrone89

According to Marko, the FIA is now investigating Mercedes' front wing flex.

Also note the post-race conversation between Wolff. Rosberg and Horner.

If we get more confirmation of this, please consider changing the title to 'Rear and front wing flex and FIA regulatory test 2021'
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

RZS10

Yea Horner said something about "in the next few weeks", which would be quite quick given how long such lobbying usually takes.

BTW ... did anyone catch any replays from the camera which looks back at the wing? I only caught a single one i think it was from Bottas' car.

diffuser

Much to do about nothing?

I would have thought RBR would have been much slower here cause of it.

Hoffman900

Sieper wrote:
13 Jun 2021, 21:53
The real cost of an appeal is politics. It makes you open for critique and even for counter protests. Al, teams know what others are doing, where they are pushing boundaries more.
Except Ferrari, which gets the liberty of a NDA.

Sieper

Hoffman900 wrote:
21 Jun 2021, 02:54
Sieper wrote:
13 Jun 2021, 21:53
Except Ferrari, which gets the liberty of a NDA.
Yeah, but that was such a big one, they lost like 60 hp. And if it really was core to their engine filosophy a NDA makes sense. But largely that too is politics, yes. This was such a big one also the FIA saved face by doing it in this way. Plus Ferrari can slowly claw back in this way. The have an “extra” punishment of having a car built for 60 hp more that is more or less frozen for an extra year due to COVID.

So, “it is not right, but it’s okay” (song text).

peaty

diffuser wrote:
21 Jun 2021, 02:24

Say thank you to the propaganda machine and how they manipulate fans! This is just another one of many!

diffuser

peaty wrote:
21 Jun 2021, 15:55
diffuser wrote:

Say thank you to the propaganda machine and how they manipulate fans! This is just another one of many!

On the other hand, we'll never know if RBR would not have used the LDF rear wing had they kept the bendy wing. RBR did seem to be suffering from more tire wear during the race, some of that must have come from running less DF. Maybe I'm to quick to judge.

Sieper

Ofcourse they suffer from loosing a wing that could move more than the current one.

RZS10

Arguably the difference would not be that big with such a mid-low-ish DF wing (?)

It was apparently the same one they ran in Baku so it already passed the new load tests (+20%) anyways despite still being quite bendy.

peaty

diffuser wrote:
21 Jun 2021, 18:41
On the other hand, we'll never know if RBR would not have used the LDF rear wing had they kept the bendy wing.
I think the answer it's pretty clear. No doubt they would have run more DF, had they kept the bendy wing, as long as they had a similar top speed...it was there for a reason!
diffuser wrote:
RBR did seem to be suffering from more tire wear during the race, some of that must have come from running less DF. Maybe I'm to quick to judge.
suffering more compare to whom!?
Correlation does not imply causation. This time arround the key factor were the showers before the race. The green track shifted "the power" back to Mercedes. With more DF (considering the green track) they had the winning package. Unfortunately the execution was terrible.
From my point of view, without the rain, RBR had a better package for the weekend. In other words, they wouldn't suffer from tire wear as much as they did.

peaty

RZS10 wrote:
21 Jun 2021, 19:31
Arguably the difference would not be that big with such a mid-low-ish DF wing (?)

It was apparently the same one they ran in Baku so it already passed the new load tests (+20%) anyways despite still being quite bendy.
Is the new wing making use of that 20% tolerance?

RZS10

No idea ... 'worst case' it was within that margin, best case it could easily pass the test as is and adding the possible tolerance in brackets made the statement factually correct either way because that is the minimum requirement.

peaty

RZS10 wrote:
21 Jun 2021, 19:49
No idea ... 'worst case' it was within that margin, best case it could easily pass the test as is and adding the possible tolerance in brackets made the statement factually correct either way because that is the minimum requirement.
This is not about if the statement is factually correct or not but understanding if they are making full use of the tolerance. I would expect them taking advantage of it but who knows...

Sevach

diffuser wrote:
peaty wrote:
21 Jun 2021, 15:55
diffuser wrote:

On the other hand, we'll never know if RBR would not have used the LDF rear wing had they kept the bendy wing. RBR did seem to be suffering from more tire wear during the race, some of that must have come from running less DF. Maybe I'm to quick to judge.
Don't agree, Perez had the best tires of the 1 stoppers by far.
Max was in the same situation as Hamilton and Bottas when they went for 2, impossible to call wether he would be better, worst or the same.
He was going away from the 2 Mercs when he pitted, to me it was looking like the pressure Hamilton put on Max early on in the stint was starting to hurt him... but that might've been Red Bull telling Max to give everything for 2/3 laps because they would change tires anyway.