Indy 500 2021

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
flynfrog

Re: Indy 500 2021

DChemTech wrote:
31 May 2021, 13:46
TNTHead wrote:
31 May 2021, 13:15
I am also wondering whether the Chevy engine is more thirsty than the Honda engine. Early in the race the chevy cars dictated the pace but were earlier with pit stops and nowhere in the end.
VK seems to blame his 8th mostly on an untimely poor pitstop. Shame, would have liked to see how he would have done were he in the mix, although already before the last pitstops he seemed to be a bit too far back to really fight for the lead.
He put himself out before the first round of pit stops trying to lead and pull away to early burned to much fuel and never had a shot after that.

TNTHead

flynfrog wrote:
31 May 2021, 20:21
DChemTech wrote:
31 May 2021, 13:46
TNTHead wrote:
31 May 2021, 13:15
I am also wondering whether the Chevy engine is more thirsty than the Honda engine. Early in the race the chevy cars dictated the pace but were earlier with pit stops and nowhere in the end.
VK seems to blame his 8th mostly on an untimely poor pitstop. Shame, would have liked to see how he would have done were he in the mix, although already before the last pitstops he seemed to be a bit too far back to really fight for the lead.
He put himself out before the first round of pit stops trying to lead and pull away to early burned to much fuel and never had a shot after that.
I think you're right, he was too eager in the beginning, but still not sure if there are (relevant) differences in fuel economy.

Besides, what also occured to me is that the field until the end was very, very close. 1 second delay of a pitstop would cost you 100 m in the field (!), which made the difference between top 5 to top 20.

NL_Fer

After the first stops, most cars refuelled after the wrecked was cleaned up. When they restarted VK already had 9 (caution) laps on his new fuel. After that the rest seem to gain some, because the could stay out longer.

MrMuffins

Ross Brawn says he is open to rescheduling the Monaco GP to allow driver crossover with the Indianapolis 500.

https://racer.com/2021/06/02/f1-open-to ... n-compete/