With new tyres coming after the summer break, who does it help?

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Wouter

Re: With new tyres coming after the summer break, who does it help?

This Pirelli news comes from Franco Nugnes, MSP Spain/Italy. No other site is reporting this.
The Power of Dreams!

Hoffman900

Wouter wrote:
25 Jun 2021, 16:33
This Pirelli news comes from Franco Nugnes, MSP Spain/Italy. No other site is reporting this.
Oh, nevermind then. :roll: :lol:

I would love to know what people in the paddock think of his "reporting".

Wouter

So Franco Nugnes was right for once.

The Power of Dreams!

nzjrs

So we still believe Pirelli when they accused AM and RB for fiddling with the pressures and running the tires out of the supported range? That was totally a thing that happened and this has no connection right? We all totally think these things are unconnected right? Right guys?

:lol:

dans79

I bet Pirelli and the FIA have known some teams were being naughty with the tire pressures for some time. Pirelli didn't come up with a new construction in under 3 weeks, that has to be something they've been working on for a while.
197 104 103 7

nzjrs

dans79 wrote:
25 Jun 2021, 19:42
I bet Pirelli and the FIA have known some teams were being naughty with the tire pressures for some time. Pirelli didn't come up with a new construction in under 3 weeks, that has to be something they've been working on for a while.
I somewhat agree which is why in the other threads I was fixated on if they had the tire pressure data from all the teams from all weekends prior to Baku or not. And if they "trusted" it more or less than when it suited them to do so to make or not make accusations.

IMO they knew the single point pressure and temperature test in the regulations were bollocks and they knew their tires were unsafe and they took the failure of the tires in Baku to clean up their messes. Don't let a catastrophe go to waste, so goes the saying.

But then again, the alternative is that FIA tore strips off them and this is how fast one can work If made to.

dans79

nzjrs wrote:
25 Jun 2021, 19:49
dans79 wrote:
I somewhat agree which is why in the other threads I was fixated on if they had the tire pressure data from all the teams from all weekends prior to Baku or not. And if they "trusted" it more or less than when it suited them to do so to make or not make accusations.

IMO they knew the single point pressure and temperature test in the regulations were bollocks and they knew their tires were unsafe and they took the failure of the tires in Baku to clean up their messes. Don't let a catastrophe go to waste, so goes the saying.

But then again, the alternative is that FIA tore strips off them and this is how fast one can work If made to.
I bet they have had access to all the teams tire pressure and temperature data for years.

I think I one of the reasons they dropped the rear tires blanket temperatures was to try and ensure a temp/pressure increase took place.

However, Pirelli has no power to force a change to the tire construction. That can only be forced by the FIA on safety grounds.
197 104 103 7

Starkblood80

Pyrone89 wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 20:39
Zynerji wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 14:52
PhillipM wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 23:36
Historically, higher tyre pressures has always hurt Mercs race pace more than most - I think that's a bit of why they couldn't go as long as they thought last weekend with Pirelli bringing pressures up a bit - so stronger carcasses with lower pressures may help reset the status quo again.
I expected as much, but was looking on speculation on who it may help most.

Handing Merc a .02s swing against RBR might just put us at hair-splitting Q3 sessions... =D>
Yes, let's give Mercedes more in-season changed advantages. After nerfing pit stops and rear wings
Perhaps if Redbull stopped trying to cheat the regulations then these things wouldn’t need to be “nerfed”.

Sieper

dans79 wrote:
They knew since last year Silverstone. So yeah, it has been in the works for quite some time. Naughty teams.

Zynerji

dans79 wrote:
It's 2022 tech.

dans79

Zynerji wrote:
25 Jun 2021, 20:59
dans79 wrote:
It's 2022 tech.
I know, and they aren't adapting tech designed for 18" rims to 13" rims in a short period of time.
197 104 103 7

nzjrs

Sieper wrote:
25 Jun 2021, 20:56
dans79 wrote:
They knew since last year Silverstone. So yeah, it has been in the works for quite some time. Naughty teams.
Exactly, now, follow this reasoning.

This brings me back to something that Pirelli never disputed, or positively and specifically accused, that is that RB or AM dropped below the prescribed pressures.

RB explicitly stated that they never did. At any time. And Pirelli aparently had the data the whole time to say the opposite or detect in any previous race!

How does one square this circle?

Anyway, I've banged on about this for long enough.

dans79

Sieper wrote:
dans79 wrote:
Maybe it was Imola last year!
197 104 103 7

Sieper

dans79 wrote:
25 Jun 2021, 21:04
Sieper wrote:
dans79 wrote:
Maybe it was Imola last year!
There too, I agree. That was after Silverstone though so if you are just trying to put the blame at RBR you are not looking very clearly at what has been going on. But there is a problem if tires that are inflated within spec (which they were, allthough the measuring method is also not waterproof) rip long before the end of their intended life. Something that Pirelli recognizes now.

I just hope it won’t totally shuffle the balance of power. The thinner tread tires were also a big game changer.

Zynerji

dans79 wrote:
25 Jun 2021, 21:02
Zynerji wrote:
25 Jun 2021, 20:59
dans79 wrote:
It's 2022 tech.
I know, and they aren't adapting tech designed for 18" rims to 13" rims in a short period of time.
I took it as the design of the tread/sidewall interface as the only change. It might very well be just a different material insert before hitting the mold.