new pitstop rules

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
El Scorchio

Re: new pitstop rules

Gunther Steiner’s take on it. Not necessarily a safety issue right now, but likely to become one so the FIA have acted.

nzjrs

It's interesting because there is different meanings if one interprets the sentence as "passive-sensor system" or "passive sensor-system" / "passive sensor system"

Stu

jjn9128 wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 10:52
Unless I'm very much mistaken this will only lead to the chief mechanic pre-emptively giving the green light to bypass the hold? Rather than reacting to the completed stop. I bet it'll lead to more dangerous situations.
Exactly what I thought (and the reason why the teams started to go with the ‘lights’ system - Ferrari were the first, I think after one of their mechanics was hurt when the ‘lollipop’ was lifted a bit early (mid/late 2000’s?).

If they really wanted safety they would reduce the number of mechanics allowed into the pit lane during a stop (max of 6 (two jacks, four people to change the tyres), that would slow the stops down significantly AND make the pit lane safer…
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Oehrly

RZS10 wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 12:24
[...] The interpretation here however seems to be that the sensor (whichever type they use) should only measure something (like the torque) and then 'passively' give a signal (which in itself is theoretically an "active" act if you want to be nitpicky) without being put into a further loop/system where it would actively trigger the "done" signal to the computer which then gives the go signal once every wheel is tightened.

Passively acting sensor: only give a cue to which the mechanic has to react via button press
Actively acting sensor: take away the above act from the mechanic and do it itself instead
[...]
Your interpretation is basically the same as mine. And I agree, the meaning of the term "passive sensor system" really is a bit confusing and rather vague in the rules.

As for the safety concerns, isn't it (usually) more reliable to remove the human element out of a fast chain of events where quick reaction times are important? I don't really agree with this being a safety issue. But I guess the rule exists, and it is what it is.

We'll find out in the race how much of an impact it has.

KeiKo403
KeiKo403

Wasn’t red bull believed to be prematurely giving the driver the green light as by the time they react to the green light it would in fact be safe to go?

So they could be given the green light with jacks still slightly in place? Likewise jacks were given the signal to drop prematurely too to allow for reaction times following the wheel gun sensors.

If I have understood that correctly then when other teams do it (and they would) I’m sure they wouldn’t be as good (and safe) as Red Bull

wesley123
wesley123

zeph wrote:
25 Jun 2021, 20:49
https://the-race.com/formula-1/new-f1-p ... advantage/

In this article it is argued that the new regulations are going to mostly affect RBR as they have really invested in ludicrously fast pit stops. Whether or not that is intentional? I’m sure that will be hotly debated.
The sole teams that will hurt by it are the teams that have superhuman reaction times.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

El Scorchio

Was it in effect from last weekend, or does it come into effect this weekend?

RZS10

Hungary

El Scorchio

Thanks!

MtthsMlw

The aftermath