2021 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 16 - 18

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Jolle

Re: 2021 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 16 -18

Just_a_fan wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 21:19
Wouter wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 20:49
If he's in hospital, why does it say he's at Silverstone? They took him to a hospital off circuit didn't they?
Welcome to the world of “tagging”, plus, the social media person that posts quotes of the drivers wasn’t in the hospital I presume (either at the track, at base at the redBull office or at their desk of the PR firm).

Also: I think the quote of Verstappen is a bit harsh. He cleared the first checks on the circuit and didn’t go to hospital because of an injury but a checkup. Toughen up a bit, this is borderline.

Jambier

So this race was really the change of the year

No we know how Hamilton will be champion like Schumacher in 94

HAM is always dirty on fights, always, and always his opponent is the one suffering from the contact nothing new.

Too bad for VES who had a clear shot at title, now I think it will be difficult

the EDGE

erikejw wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 21:34
That's a dead man with that kind of crash not too long ago in F1.
That’s why not too long ago Max would have done what Leclerc did… and avoided the collision

Jolle

Jambier wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 21:38
So this race was really the change of the year

No we know how Hamilton will be champion like Schumacher in 94

HAM is always dirty on fights, always, and always his opponent is the one suffering from the contact nothing new.

Too bad for VES who had a clear shot at title, now I think it will be difficult
Implying that Hamilton crashed into Verstappen on purpose, isn’t that a bit much? Also why do his competitors call him a clean racer over the years?

Shrieker

Jambier wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 21:38

That is just sour grapes, or baiting, or both.

Had Hamilton not jumped out of the way in Imola and Catalunya, Max would've mowed him.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Juzh

zibby43 wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 21:29
Juzh wrote:
Hammerfist wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 21:10

It's important to lay some ground rules because otherwise Max is just going to bully him off the track for the remainder of the season and you can't just wait and play the long game forever as the Redbull car is only getting faster and the margins for opportunities get smaller as more races unfold. Hamilton has to ensure that going forward Max shows more respect in his race craft. He said it himself in one of his post race interviews.
You mean the same respect hamilton showed albon in brazil and austria and now to max in silverstone? Hamilton got penalties for all three of these so he's entirely and fully responsible for them. If anything hamilton shows the least respect of any driver. Basically almost any time he comes under pressure he puts someone in the gravel or in this case in the wall even.
So less than a year ago, a world champion called Hamilton the cleanest guy he’s ever raced against.

But now, you’re implying the exact opposite. C’mon man. You usually have great content, but you’re better than that.

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/57139 ... st-button/
Button is so far up hamilton' behind you really can't take anything he says seriously. In general all these ex driver pundits employed by sky are biased AF towards any british driver (except di resta). This used to be acceptable when they were almost strictly broadcasting to UK, but now they're main audio feed on F1TV for half the globe and on ESPN that covers usa and probably in more other territories and their constant a** licking is puke inducing for anyone not UK based. They're the same as Netherlands' ziggo tv just without profanities and I don't see anyone from UK taking them seriously either.

Just_a_fan wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 21:31
Juzh wrote:
Hammerfist wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 21:10

It's important to lay some ground rules because otherwise Max is just going to bully him off the track for the remainder of the season and you can't just wait and play the long game forever as the Redbull car is only getting faster and the margins for opportunities get smaller as more races unfold. Hamilton has to ensure that going forward Max shows more respect in his race craft. He said it himself in one of his post race interviews.
You mean the same respect hamilton showed albon in brazil and austria and now to max in silverstone? Hamilton got penalties for all three of these so he's entirely and fully responsible for them. If anything hamilton shows the least respect of any driver. Basically almost any time he comes under pressure he puts someone in the gravel or in this case in the wall even.
Hamilton very much held his hands up after Brazil and apologised. Austria was 50/50 really as Albon closed the line thinking he was ahead. Hamilton probably should have expected that. Had Albon not ended up in the gravel, Hamilton wouldn't have had a penalty - the stewards penalise for consequences not actions these days.

As for today, Hamilton is saying to Max - you want to race then let's race, but enough of your bully boy tactics because I'm not playing nice any more. It's up to Max to decide what he does with that going forward. it's about time Max was held to account for his tactics. It was always going to happen one day, it's just that today it's Hamilton getting the blame from the Max/ Rd Bull fans. Could just as easily have been a Leclerc or a Bottas.
As I said, funny how hamilton got penalties for all these, so he was deemed predominantly to blame in all cases. This is hamilton's version of "lets race" aka "i'm putting you in the wall" if you try to overtake me. FIA should have gone full bananas on him just based on his past actions and unwilling to change his approach, 10s is a disgrace.

edit. grammar
Last edited by Juzh on 18 Jul 2021, 21:47, edited 2 times in total.

101FlyingDutchman

Seems to me more that he was making a bit of a statement with not compromising his line. There was room to do so, he knows it, but didn’t want to give in this time. I get it but damn man

A bloody dangerous corner to make a statement I would say….
Last edited by 101FlyingDutchman on 18 Jul 2021, 21:47, edited 1 time in total.

Jolle

the EDGE wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 21:39
erikejw wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 21:34
That's a dead man with that kind of crash not too long ago in F1.
That’s why not too long ago Max would have done what Leclerc did… and avoided the collision
Uhm… I think on multiple occasions drivers jumped out of the way of Verstappen in the past.. or crashing in to him when they didn’t. Most famous one of course is his spectacular Monaco crash in his debut season but also a few “coming togethers” with the Ferrari’s over the year comes to mind. Heck, in the corners leading up to the crash today, Hamilton already has to avoid a move of Verstappen that would have resulted in a penalty for Verstappen at least.
Hamilton made a mistake, but Verstappen ain’t no saint.

101FlyingDutchman

Agreed Jolle. Lots you say there rings true but we can only look at the incident in isolation. Previous “what May or may not have happened” shouldn’t come into assessing the merits of this case. They should all be individual.

RZS10

Did anyone watch the F1 post race show? There's a few interesting tidbits in there about penalties etc

Not sure what the verdict is on the whole race weekend. I don’t think there was anything there that elevated the spectacle personally.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

PlatinumZealot

I never said I was leaving this site or not posting anymore. Somehow it seems persons thought I was? I guess I was missunderstood. :?:

But anyway, today's victory was so sweet and satisfying!! I am over the moon!! Vintage wine tonight!

I personally believe the incident was 50/50. Max had space but he knew he would be compromised on the outside so he gave no quarter. Lewis could have expected that Max is Max and will attempt to pinch him. They both have the heart of Senna.and none will move. What do you get? A crash.

I have to post this video to remind people that Max is a very aggressive racer and other drivers have been lifting for him for years to avoid DNFs ever since they realise he wont change his style. For once he is now the driver with the championship lead to protect and I was quite surprised he did not think about the undue risk of cutting a sharp line to the apex on a 180mph corner. He paid the price.

I see no reason for Hamilton to feel sorry for him. Gladitorial celebrations for a battle well won and most of all to ensure the fans get their money's worth. =D>

Peace, out! :-"

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Just_a_fan

Jolle wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 21:36
Just_a_fan wrote:
Wouter wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 20:49
If he's in hospital, why does it say he's at Silverstone? They took him to a hospital off circuit didn't they?
Welcome to the world of “tagging”, plus, the social media person that posts quotes of the drivers wasn’t in the hospital I presume (either at the track, at base at the redBull office or at their desk of the PR firm).

Also: I think the quote of Verstappen is a bit harsh. He cleared the first checks on the circuit and didn’t go to hospital because of an injury but a checkup. Toughen up a bit, this is borderline.
Yes, I assume it's not actually from him but from someone in the team. It reads like a PR post to me. Probably dictated by Horner himself.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 21:46

Seems to me more that he was making a bit of a statement with not compromising his line. There was room to do so, he knows it, but didn’t want to give in this time. I get it but damn man

A bloody dangerous corner to make a statement I would say….
Yeah, but everyone, and mostly importantly Max, heard the statement. I expect we'll see a different approach from Max in future. He's a bright lad and he'll take it on board and do things differently depending on who he's driving next to.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

jz11

Just_a_fan wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 21:27
jz11 wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 21:08

Lewis understeered into Maxes line and missed his apex, there are no two ways about it, look at the rest of the turn, he barely stayed on the track on the exit and even then he was so slow that LEC immediately overtook him, he simply divebombed that corner trying to carry way too much speed - that is why he was given the penalty, which was much too lenient IMO considering what is at stake and his racing experience, he should have not tried that move on Max there period
You don't think that perhaps the impact with Max might have changed his line and caused him to slow down a bit? The impact against the front left tyre will naturally cause the car to steer left a little bit causing him to go off line to the let and allow Charles through.
entirely possible that the impact did have the effect, but I think it is much more likely considering the full fuel load and that he tried to overtake on the tight inside line that he simply had too much speed for that particular entry line which made him miss the apex and thus lose a lot of speed which then allowed LEC to pass him, it is quite possible it would have happened even if there was no contact with Max

as I said - I think it was a racing incident/accident, you can reverse the drivers and I will still say the same thing, the driver on the inside misjudged the situation and tried to exploit the "inside line is king" rule

and I agree with you on the other post, about Max reaping what he has sown, he is the one that basically made defending/overtaking on the outside a loosing battle, and now he simply went for it thinking Lewis will concede, and Lewis simply couldn't turn in more - because if he could, then this looks much worse for him, basically meaning he initiated the contact intentionally (which I don't think he did)