2021 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 16 - 18

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
El Scorchio

Re: 2021 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 16 -18

214270 wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 23:31
El Scorchio wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 22:12
214270 wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 21:53
Not sure what the verdict is on the whole race weekend. I don’t think there was anything there that elevated the spectacle personally.
Agree. Alonso’s stellar lap aside and Perez spin, the sprint race was extremely meh.

I said it on the other thread, but the only reason I’d want to see it again is to safeguard the future of the British GP by making more revenue for Silverstone.

Regardless of what happened in the race, it’s a magnificent venue and the British fans are a good as any in the world. Only the atmosphere in Italy is comparable, or Brazil in the Senna days.
Yes, great crowd and ambiance this weekend, but I still don’t quite understand what they’re solving for with this format. It wouldn’t spice things up at Monaco for instance, so what gives?

It also doesn’t make sense to me to fix the lap count at 17 for the sprint. Does it not make more sense to assign a lap amount which provides the requisite tyre jeapordy? If they didn’t fluke into these crazy high summer temps and it were 15deg lower it would’ve been an extremely boring sprint.
I really don’t know. I mean the logic of ‘let’s spice up the main race by having a short race with all the cars already more or less in speed order from single lap qualifying’ really doesn’t make a lot of sense. The only real interest is if someone is way out of position in single lap qualifying or if someone does what Alonso managed. It really punishes people who are great qualifiers like Russell and anyone who makes a simple mistake like Perez.

I don’t get it. I didn’t get it before and I am afraid this weekend hasn’t done anything to change my mind. I watched it on Saturday afternoon but wasn’t very engaged with it as there really was nothing significant hanging on the result. It’s just really damage limitation for almost everyone.

nzjrs

Tvetovnato wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 23:35
RZS10 wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 23:33
Tried to put together a composite image but i'm not really happy with it because i struggled to account for the camera pitch etc ... anyways ...
https://i.imgur.com/oQossKS.png
here's an imgur album with a few more with lines and the full corner (probably not all that precise), the full lines are based on their right wheels, the broken lines are just guesses.
https://imgur.com/a/NInVRVY
Footage like this makes it extremely hard, harder than ever to take Horner’s garbage seriously.
Honestly seeing that image it looks like Verstappen had won the corner and Hamilton washed out wide.... (No joke)

Edit: it's still imo a racing incident...
Last edited by nzjrs on 18 Jul 2021, 23:46, edited 1 time in total.

LM10

Shrieker wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 20:56
LM10 wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 20:50
Shrieker wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 20:45

Ok, I hope Max takes a page out of your book, and keeps turning in everytime there's a car on the inside, completely ignoring their existence.
He didn’t ignore Lewis’ existence. In fact, Lewis had more than enough room on the inside and it actually was him not staying close to the apex.
Moment of contact.

https://imgur.com/a/L85u1A7

I'll let you decide who has more space to play with. To help a little bit: Ham has less than a car's width to play with. In contrast, Max has many car's width of space to play with. He takes all the risk. While Hamilton clearly doesn't. You can see it clearly in the video as well.

When they're side by side and going straight (way before turning into the corner), Hamilton leaves space -space he can play with to open up Copse that little bit more- to be safe.
That’s Copse, the fastest corner on F1 calendar. The line Max takes is the one required to make the corner at that speed - we’re talking about 300 km/h. Hamilton knows that and he obviously knows more than any of us that it was going to end in a catastrophic crash sticking his left front there being on the inside.

I’m not picking a side for fan-reasons as I’m not a fan of any of those drivers. But if all people and experts on live feed (even Button), all non-Mercedes-Lewis-fans and the stewards decide that it was Lewis’ fault then I think there could be a slight possibility for it to be true.

As we’re at it, once the stewards decided that it was Lewis’ fault, why give him such a joke of a penalty? That was a really huge 51g accident and the other driver even had to go to hospital. It could have ended really nasty. IF you think one of the two drivers was to blame, then don’t be a coward but penalize in a proper way.
Last edited by LM10 on 18 Jul 2021, 23:52, edited 1 time in total.

Lock2nl

dans79 wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 23:00
Unf wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 22:56
In other hand - in Hamilton and Wolf eyes, Verstappen was behind their car... :wtf:
Lewis Was referring to when they entered the braking zone, and he wasn't was off, as Lewis's wing was even with Maxes front tire. Most people wouldn't be correct all the time at those speeds with another car that close!
That is correct. But that really isn't important. Once he got there for a very brief moment, he lost speed in the braking zone much more than Max had too (as the racing line is from the outside in). So Lewis had to know it would never work there. Still, he did not back off. And after having picked up some dirt before the braking zone he was bound to understeer into Max. And he did that a wheel base behind Max.

Edax

Jambier wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 23:20
Max did a big mistake :

- he needs to be agressive when he is the underdog

- here he was only on a position to lose something while HAM had everything to win

Max needs to learn how to manage a championship when you are ahead

I think this race will cost him the title, HAM clear favorite now with updated Mercedes and almost no gap in points

Sad for formula 1 2021, a VES title would had been refreshing
I think the stewards report leaves not a shred of doubt. There was nothing he could or should have done differently. Pretty sure he will see it that way and just carry on.

The Merc indeed seems to have solved their floor issues. That may be a big factor going forward, as well as the probability that RB has to replace an engine.

But driving wise I think little will change. Perhaps Hamilton will be more cautious since the stewards have a tendency to judge repeat offenses more harshly.

adrianjordan

Edax wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 23:53
Jambier wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 23:20
Max did a big mistake :

- he needs to be agressive when he is the underdog

- here he was only on a position to lose something while HAM had everything to win

Max needs to learn how to manage a championship when you are ahead

I think this race will cost him the title, HAM clear favorite now with updated Mercedes and almost no gap in points

Sad for formula 1 2021, a VES title would had been refreshing
I think the stewards report leaves not a shred of doubt. There was nothing he could or should have done differently. Pretty sure he will see it that way and just carry on.

The Merc indeed seems to have solved their floor issues. That may be a big factor going forward, as well as the probability that RB has to replace an engine.

But driving wise I think little will change. Perhaps Hamilton will be more cautious since the stewards have a tendency to judge repeat offenses more harshly.
You misunderstood the word predominantly then. It means more, not entirely.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

adrianjordan

Scorpaguy wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 23:18
3. F1 has 2 great drivers currently, Ham and Max, nobody else seems to have the skills to overtake. Checo made Alb look good this weekend (no easy feat) and Bot was his usual speed-bump self. I believe it is time to start the clamor for Fred to get the other Merc/RB ride.
That's a little unfair. Leclerc was outstanding today and Norris showed his metal going wheel to wheel with Alonso.

Russell continues to wring every last ounce of performance from that Williams.

Just cos Max and Lewis are in the top 2 cars, doesn't mean there aren't others on their level in the field.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

GrizzleBoy

nzjrs wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 23:43
Tvetovnato wrote:
RZS10 wrote:
Tried to put together a composite image but i'm not really happy with it because i struggled to account for the camera pitch etc ... anyways ...
here's an imgur album with a few more with lines and the full corner (probably not all that precise), the full lines are based on their right wheels, the broken lines are just guesses.
Footage like this makes it extremely hard, harder than ever to take Horner’s garbage seriously.
Honestly seeing that image it looks like Verstappen had won the corner and Hamilton washed out wide.... (No joke)
It also shows that Verstappen began turning into a corner while another car was at least 50% alongside him, yet assumed would disappear by the apex of the corner.

Watching Karun Chandhoks analysis on the Skypad, it actually shows max make an initial turn in, sees Hamilton alongside and straighten up, then just turns back in again.

Max knew Ham was there, HOPED he would back out, but did not make the adjustment or leave the space necessary just incase he didn't back out.

Compare that to Ham who went into turn 6 ahead yet left a tonne of room instead of just chopping across, which allowed both cars to continue racing.

Max will look back on this race and know that a little more chill could have secured himself an insurmountable lead today.

Spectators, commentators, team principles and fans can argue about penalty severity, intention, racing lines etc until the cows come home, but Max will know in his heart that he could have avoided the collision if his focus in that moment was on the big prize and not on the immediate limelight.

RZS10

nzjrs wrote:
Tvetovnato wrote:
RZS10 wrote:

Edit: it's still imo a racing incident...
I think they both would have made that corner individually, potentially even getting close to the late apex which is somewhere in the middle of the b/w curb, there's quite a few former drivers and experts who think it was a racing incident as well, Palmer thinks it was and said so in the post race show.

Albon was there as well and he mentioned that to his knowledge this was a typical 10s penalty as previously agreed upon with Masi.

Here's the part of the Post Race show where they discuss the incident.

One thing that baffles me is that Buxton et al believe the stewards have ruled that it was only Lewis' fault when they wrote it was mainly his fault (they used predominantly)
Last edited by RZS10 on 19 Jul 2021, 00:16, edited 1 time in total.

djones

I thought it was 50/50 and a racing incident.

Until I saw the footage of Max turning right, then central, then right sharply as Hamilton was alongside. That in-car shot tells more of a story than any of the overheads etc. Max purposefully tried to pressure Hamilton into backing out by turning into him.

As a side subject - I've since also heard the in-car radio from Max just after hitting the barrier. He really did take a big hit. I believe this will be a turning point for him as it was a sudden realisation he's not invincible. From now on I bet we see only 70% of his previous aggression. I think this will actually make him a better driver.

i70q7m7ghw

So disappointed to be reading this tonight https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433 ... ish-gp-win

TwanV

Let's stick to the facts, the opinion of British press on a British driver at the British gp is going to be a little biased. But outside of the island nobody will fail to notice : race lead on racing line is hit on rear right by car behind not on the racing line with left front at 300kph. FIA had given the culprit the harshest penalty available to them and opened the door for RB to appeal for more. I have a feeling Lewis will not walk away with the points so easily.

djones

TwanV wrote:
19 Jul 2021, 00:21
Let's stick to the facts, the opinion of British press on a British driver at the British gp is going to be a little biased. But outside of the island nobody will fail to notice : race lead on racing line is hit on rear right by car behind not on the racing line with left front at 300kph. FIA had given the culprit the harshest penalty available to them and opened the door for RB to appeal for more. I have a feeling Lewis will not walk away with the points so easily.
Wrong. They gave him only one up from the very bottom penalty.

maxxer

GrizzleBoy wrote:
19 Jul 2021, 00:03
nzjrs wrote:
Tvetovnato wrote:

It also shows that Verstappen began turning into a corner while another car was at least 50% alongside him, yet assumed would disappear by the apex of the corner.

Watching Karun Chandhoks analysis on the Skypad, it actually shows max make an initial turn in, sees Hamilton alongside and straighten up, then just turns back in again.

Max knew Ham was there, HOPED he would back out, but did not make the adjustment or leave the space necessary just incase he didn't back out.

Compare that to Ham who went into turn 6 ahead yet left a tonne of room instead of just chopping across, which allowed both cars to continue racing.

Max will look back on this race and know that a little more chill could have secured himself an insurmountable lead today.

Spectators, commentators, team principles and fans can argue about penalty severity, intention, racing lines etc until the cows come home, but Max will know in his heart that he could have avoided the collision if his focus in that moment was on the big prize and not on the immediate limelight.
That is it because HAM backed out quite a few times out before in past years he knows now he just has to keep his nose there and make VES go around it which he never learned how to do

https://www.crash.net/f1/feature/983425 ... n-f1-clash

ALO - “It is difficult from the outside. It looked quite close, Lewis had more than half a car alongside Max. So, in a way, Lewis could not disappear from the inside line, it’s not that you can vanish. It was an unfortunate moment of the race, but nothing intentional or nothing that any of the two drivers did wrong in my opinion. That was an unlucky moment.”
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.