2021 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 16 - 18

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
carisi2k

Re: 2021 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 16 -18

RZS10 wrote:
20 Jul 2021, 01:35
Composite for Lewis/Charles:

https://i.imgur.com/0PeKjxR.jpg

Full Album https://imgur.com/a/vN9HY56

I really tried my best to combine both composite images but neither filling in a few key frames nor using the finished image gave any result worth posting since the difference in camera (heli?) position is just too big - one would have to lay a grid onto the track from various known points in both images and then stretch/warp one image so the grid would fit that of the other but that's beyond my capabilities i think. For the composite i just distorted the image preserving the relative positions of objects to each other, most importantly the cars on track.
This image just really proves it that he ran deliberately in to Max. This is near enough to identical to Lewis and Max and yet Lewis was able to avoid contact here. Charles is pretty much taking the same line as Max and yet he didn't end up in the club barrier. Lewis took Max out plain and simple.

RZS10

It is nowhere close to "near enough to identical". The lines differ in various key points like the difference of early vs. late apex and the resulting positions on track etc.

101FlyingDutchman

carisi2k wrote:
20 Jul 2021, 01:39
I 100% agree with Dee here. I am Australian and certainly not a Max fan but if it was Danny Ric involved then you could accuse me of bias but I dislike both these drivers the same. I suspect if the roles were reversed that all these Lewis fans would be baying for Max to be penalised or even suspended for several races. The fact is that Lewis was on the wrong side of the road going in to a corner which doesn't require braking and therefore normal rules don't apply. He was never in front of Max fully and the rule at this corner should be exactly the same as turn 8 at Adelaide for Supercars where if you aren't ahead then you pull in behind. He was always going to go wide and the track is still dirty even if it was the first lap of the race as the dirty line builds up over the race weekend. Max even left room as he was well wide of the apex which shows that Lewis was well and truly going nowhere but in to the side of Max. At the very least the 10 second penalty should have been a separate stop and go and not allowed to be performed at the pit stop and taken straight away.
Seems Driver61 totally agrees with you

ringo

Why is this still being discussed? :lol:

Lewis got his bag of points and is relaxing sonewhere preparing to take poll at Hungary.

It would be funny if Max does crash again but into Bottas or Charles or Lando. I would love to see reactions then.

As it stands Hamilton is approaching mid season where he is very strong. Max can bleed more points if he doesnt move on.
For Sure!!

fritticaldi

Mercedes should pay for the repairs of the Red Bull car since its driver Hamilton was deemed responsible by Michael Masi and the stewards at Race Control. . F1 is on a budget cap and Dr. Helmut Markko is correct in complaining about the costs of fixing the car. Red Bull should not be penalized financially for the accident caused by Hamilton. This is something the FIA should look into and probably implement a system in the near future . Anybody else agree ?

foxmulder_ms

:) horner et al cannot take hard racing :d lol.. it was not even hard racing actually. it was utter dangerous driving on max's part. you cannot view anything in vacuum. as I wrote before, max defended by going outside the track on 1st corner then he swerve like crazy constantly, he pushed Hamilton to the wall which incidentally made Lewis to take a more acute angle to copse. Lewis was perfectly side by side going into corner and had every right for the passing move but on top of all these max tuned into him expecting lewis to back off. yeah.. right.. max will not learn because this is what redbull feeds on. media hype... on so called greatness.. we see where their previous "great" is now. No offense to seb, I actually like him but redbull is just a media machine they are not racers as proved by saying "that corner is not where passing happens brooaoaoghh ". get real.

Also they literally forgave team points to get 1-point away from Lewis.. How low is that!!@! So from now on dear redbull fans, you cannot say a single word about Bottas being a wing man. :D

El Scorchio

fritticaldi wrote:
20 Jul 2021, 02:53
Mercedes should pay for the repairs of the Red Bull car since its driver Hamilton was deemed responsible by Michael Masi and the stewards at Race Control. . F1 is on a budget cap and Dr. Helmut Markko is correct in complaining about the costs of fixing the car. Red Bull should not be penalized financially for the accident caused by Hamilton. This is something the FIA should look into and probably implement a system in the near future . Anybody else agree ?
There was talk of this nature months ago after Imola. My feeling is that engine aside, purely as it’s subject to its own individual rules, replacing like for like parts which were damaged in the event of a crash should be exempt from the budget cap.

foxmulder_ms

Listen to from an expert:

Brilliant analysis.

Rodak

Lewis got his bag of points and is relaxing sonewhere preparing to take poll at Hungary.
And what poll is that? Popularity?

Ryar

foxmulder_ms wrote:
20 Jul 2021, 02:57
So from now on dear redbull fans, you cannot say a single word about Bottas being a wing man. :D
OK. Sir Bottas, he should be. Greatest servant of the sport. :)
Hakuna Matata!

Ryar

fritticaldi wrote:
20 Jul 2021, 02:53
Absolutely. Implementing cost cap is also a process of learnings these undesired impacts on the proceedings. Today it's Red Bull and tomorrow it will be Mercedes, again. So it's critical for FIA to have the cost cap regulations updated. The spirit of budget cap is to stop overspend on development, it shouldn't hamper racing operations just because someone made a dumb move from the other team.
Hakuna Matata!

Hammerfist

Just_a_fan wrote:
19 Jul 2021, 22:47
Mogster wrote:
19 Jul 2021, 22:42
Just_a_fan wrote:
19 Jul 2021, 22:38

The point at which Max started to turn in. Hamilton was so far up the inside that Max saw him and unwound some lock before turning back to the right. In the on board footage, you can clearly see Hamilton is almost level with Max. Ergo he was substantially alongside and had done enough to have priority in the corner.
You can clearly see Lewis from Max’s onboard camera.
Yes, I said that. [edit, I didn't specify which on board so my apologies]

Another view is on this composite made by one the forum members here:
https://i.imgur.com/oQossKS.png

You can clearly see that Hamilton is all but exactly level with Max as they enter the corner phase. It looks ever more like Max just expected Hamilton to back out or swerve to avoid him as usual - indeed as had happened at the end of the Wellington Straight. But this time that didn't happen.
This pic makes it so obvious what happened. Max definitely squeezed, he should have gone wider, Ham was side by side for a long time. Max just turned in. Amazing so many of these "experts' can't see how simple this incident is. They just penalized hamilton because Max got taken out of the race after a horrific crash. If Max somehow spins but rejoins the race unscathed I'm pretty sure there would be no penalty.

Nice work on the image.

langedweil

Seriously .. almost 100 pages of "No, I am rightier than thou !"
@Mods, I feel for you guys ..

Racing incident between two hotheaded drivers; one is the young chimp that wants the ladies from now on, the other the fading leader of the pack but apparently more alike the rest of the pack than ever thought before.

Gloves are off, woke-shizzle will finally die off, this will become enjoyable.
My guestimate: the young will prevail ..
HuggaWugga !

Deadpool

100% right. The debate can go on indefinitely. In the last two races, we have seen that the "crime" still pays off. I am convinced that we will see more such "crimes" on both sides by the end of the season.

NathanE

Is it time to carve race threads out onto a new forum url - f1emotional.net?