How to decide success of sprint qualifying?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
NL_Fer

Re: How to decide success of sprint qualifying?

notsofast wrote:
17 Jul 2021, 19:15
The first few laps were fun. If F1 really wants to do something with this format, they should bring Q1 and Q2 back to Saturday, and then replace the 12-minute Q3 with a 12-minute sprint for the top 10 finishers from Q2. Simply start the parade lap from the pits and then a standing start. An extra benefit would be a lower risk in cases such as Perez today, which means the drivers can take more chances in the sprint.
I feel the same. The start and first part were most exciting. After that it began to look like an ordinarily race.

So first I thought of, was like 3 stints. Standing start, race 4-5 laps, than a cool down lap and return to start for the next standing start. Repeat for 3 times.

But yeah, maybe a mix of 2 qualifing sessions combined with a final 12 minute sprint race could be fun to try out.

Cold Fussion

Big Tea wrote:
17 Jul 2021, 21:05
I liked the race, but not as a grid decider. It took the edge off qualifying, as 'qualifying for the mini race' still gave another chance, and it removes the tyre variable.

As I said previously, it would be good for 'spare drivers' in 'spare cars'
This is what I don't understand, the sprint race as qualifying massively detracts from qualifying, without really adding anything itself. In qualifying with only 2 laps per session there is always some tension because mistakes can and do happen and they have implications for race. It also allows for people to flourish where as others flounder (look at Russell extracting everything from the car on a Saturday where others in the midfield --- up every week). A race as qualifying just allows for the overall fastest race package to move to the front, reducing the beloved 'variance' F1 stake holders seem to love for some reason.

I really dislike the direction Liberty is pushing F1, never thought I'd miss Bernie running the show.
Last edited by Cold Fussion on 17 Jul 2021, 21:43, edited 1 time in total.

Red Rock Mutley

I feel indifferent at this point in the race weekend; qualifying was sublime, the sprint race was magnificent. Alonso was a superstar. The battle for the Mclarens to repass held my interest. Perez was pushing hard... too hard, and then it all settled down. It was like watching the race highlights show; all the actions condensed into 30 mins. None of which is bad, but now I've lost the sense of jeopardy; The balance of being quick in qualifying vs the race has played out, and it feels like we're into a 24-hour comfort break.

TimW

I thought it turned out quite a nice race, mostly because of Alonso quick start and being out of position. But it took a too much charm out of qualifying for me.

hecan

Sorry to be a bit blunt, but I don't think our opinions matter that much. The result of this sprint race impact is going to be measured by some kind of survey offered to casual fans (which are the majority of spectators, who are also bringing the money).

Personally speaking, I think some purist here are afraid of every change, but the fact is F1 is dying. Without changes teams will leave. The objective here should be to bring new fans, and ensure the sport survival before anything else.

Big Tea

hecan wrote:
17 Jul 2021, 23:54
Sorry to be a bit blunt, but I don't think our opinions matter that much. The result of this sprint race impact is going to be measured by some kind of survey offered to casual fans (which are the majority of spectators, who are also bringing the money).

Personally speaking, I think some purist here are afraid of every change, but the fact is F1 is dying. Without changes teams will leave. The objective here should be to bring new fans, and ensure the sport survival before anything else.
This is the way things seem to be going in many places. Change things to attract new interest, lose the original followers, then in short order the fickle new interest find something new to wander off to and the original fanbase is no longer there, so home time.
But I suspect you are correct
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

RZS10

The reactions on their own poll/survey site (https://www.f1fanvoice.com/poll) are rather mixed

browney

I really enjoyed it.

However, for me, the issue is the car aerodynamics. The difficulties following still stuffs up anything anyone tries to make the racing interesting. I can't believe that the 2017 rules were bought in, after everything people had learnt from the previous 30 years.

So what I am rally looking forward to is next year's cars.

For this year, maybe they could increase the DRS length just for the sprint race so that the field is more mobile?

Then long term maybe they can get rid of drs when the new cars come.

adrianjordan

I liked the actual sprint race itself, however I do not think it should decide the grid.

Quali should decide the Grand Prix grid and then maybe the Sprint is in reverse championship order or and give points for top 6 (6 for 1st, 5 for 2nd etc) or something like that.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Big Tea

After mulling it over during the night, do you think the race length was wrong? Not long enough to destroy medium tyres and too long to run on softs. possibly another 5 laps would have opened the option of 1 run on hard, 2 on soft or combi of soft/hard or really eeking out one set of meds?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

El Scorchio

I thought it was largely absolutely pointless. First lap was fun but it was really quite dull after that.

Only plus point- Alonso

Minus points- Perez race ruined, Sainz and Russell races compromised. Russell’s wonderful qualifying laps rendered pointless.

It just settled into people not wanting to lose what they had pretty quickly. I’m pretty sure they will all converge on there choice and other things as well soon and they’ll just be processions.

It’ll only stay in the sport because of the extra money and TV advertising revenue it brings in, but there will be plenty of false platitudes from Brawn etc to try and justify it as an actual sporting plus.

Edit- but honestly if the extra revenue it brings in helps keep the British GP going and Silverstone solvent as a business, then I’ll grudgingly accept it taking place there in the future. (Same for Monza or any other tracks facing financial peril.)
Last edited by El Scorchio on 18 Jul 2021, 15:30, edited 1 time in total.

nzjrs

After sleeping on it, it's taken away too much interest in qualifying for me. It basically made Hamilton's P1 useless, and Russel's too.

It's also messed up the structure of the free practices and the parc ferme rules move the balance too much towards simulation.

So a big 1/10 from me.

El Scorchio

I feel the tyre allocations are a bit prohibitive as well. I know they can start on what they choose but they need extra sets available to make the sprint and the main race more interesting.

i70q7m7ghw

I think they should decouple it from the main event. Qualifying decides the grid for BOTH races, and the sprint is just a special race that happens on Saturday for the chance to win some extra points.

nzjrs

Diesel wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 18:31
I think they should decouple it from the main event. Qualifying decides the grid for BOTH races, and the sprint is just a special race that happens on Saturday for the chance to win some extra points.
What would you do about all the other stupid stuff? There tire choice changes and the Parc ferme rules?