How to decide success of sprint qualifying?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
foxmulder_ms

Re: How to decide success of sprint qualifying?

It steals the whole joy of qualifying from me. I really do not like it. Seeing the fastest possible lap time is 10x better.

Marty_Y

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12525/ ... x-at-monza

The Italian GP at Monza in September has been officially named as the second venue for F1's sprint weekend experiment.

NL_Fer

Marty_Y wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 02:36

The Italian GP at Monza in September has been officially named as the second venue for F1's sprint weekend experiment.
Awesome. We will see some heavy slipstreaming for 20 minutes.

jjn9128

NL_Fer wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 13:30
Marty_Y wrote:

One long DRS train =D>
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

El Scorchio

NL_Fer wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 13:30
Marty_Y wrote:

And possibly a pile up at the first chicane if a lot of the midfield cars use the start as THE possibility to make up several places. (Either that or ridiculous caution to avoid accidents ironically resulting in one)

It also raises the question of how penalties for cutting that chicane on the first lap (some cars will have no choice due to the action of others, some may make errors) might be applied and how they might affect the main race. Grid drop or time penalty, or something else? There's got to be something pretty strong to stop anyone 'accidentally' missing the chicane and profiting hugely.

I wonder if it'll have any sort of positive impact on the farcical qualifying sessions of the last two years with the slipstreaming. That would maybe be a positive for any sprint weekend. Blind optimism though, I feel...

notsofast

OK, we've had the three sprint weekends. Here's where I ended up with this.

#1. The sprint is too long. 50km would be better. Or perhaps 40km. Do it instead of Q3 if we really must have a sprint. Just the top 10 based on Q2 times.

#2. I really really really do not need to see the same race twice in one weekend. I watched the sprint race on Saturday. As much as I like F1, that one race was enough for me. There's more to life than F1. I did not watch the Sunday race.

Just_a_fan

notsofast wrote:
14 Nov 2021, 23:42

#2. I really really really do not need to see the same race twice in one weekend. I watched the sprint race on Saturday. As much as I like F1, that one race was enough for me. There's more to life than F1. I did not watch the Sunday race.
I didn't bother with the sprint race. Out doing stuff instead. Watched the real race today.

The whole weekend is stupid with the sprint format. Qualifying doesn't determine pole. That sums up how stupid it is. May as well scrap qualifying and just pick the sprint grid based on each driver's best time in FP.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Zynerji

I'm thinking Sprint races should have a DRS modification.

Disabled completely for 1st, 2nd, 3rd place, unlimited for the rest.

Big Tea

Zynerji wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 01:14
I'm thinking Sprint races should have a DRS modification.

Disabled completely for 1st, 2nd, 3rd place, unlimited for the rest.
I would be tempted to say DRS in any race could only last 3 laps on the same car.
The DRS train needs breaking up. See if the new regs work
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

jjn9128

What about a timed DRS for the sprint? Like Indycar push to pass you get 30s or something of DRS for the race to attack or defend.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Big Tea

jjn9128 wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 21:29
What about a timed DRS for the sprint? Like Indycar push to pass you get 30s or something of DRS for the race to attack or defend.
If it would stop the 'DRS train' I am all for it. DRS was supposed to stop log jam but causes a bigger one

lucafo

notsofast wrote:
14 Nov 2021, 23:42

#1. The sprint is too long. 50km would be better. Or perhaps 40km. Do it instead of Q3 if we really must have a sprint. Just the top 10 based on Q2 times.
Or 20km! And you are right about the top 10, nobody really cares about the last 10th.
Better, just leave the sprint out...

Big Tea

Also, I really do not see the point of having a practice session after the sprint has decided the places and nothing on the car can be changed, so what if anything could replace the prac 3?
They are not going to be allowed to drive any other car and the cost of transporting another complete car is small as they need the spares anyway and the pit crew could double for a short time, why not a test or spare driver race of sprint difference in the spare car? If the team feel they can transport 2 spare cars under the cap, then allow that.

Better a 10 -15 car display of the spare or young driver and some air time for sponsors than aimless driving around after all the set up is done and locked.
Spare drivers could be allowed to gain towards F1 points in this and a mini championship.

jjn9128

I suggested elsewhere...
Friday: P1 (2hrs) + Q (for race)
Saturday: Q (sprint) + Sprint
Sunday: Grand Prix

Separate the sprint championship off from the main championship and give old school F1 points to 8th and also only count 6/7 out of 9 race results for the sprint championship, which would allow teams to field either a rookie or guest at sprints without costing themselves in the championship, e.g. in Mexico Pato O'Ward could drive for McLaren, at US GP Herta could get a run out...etc or they could sell a seat for the harder up teams.

Quali for sprint is one shot to get the occasional topsy turvy grid, e.g. rain or driving mistake. Restrict DRS either by time or distance, maybe even as a sliding scale based on qualifying position.
#aerogandalf

Just_a_fan

Big Tea wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 22:40
Also, I really do not see the point of having a practice session after the sprint has decided the places and nothing on the car can be changed, so what if anything could replace the prac 3?
I wouldn't be surprised to hear them decide to go to a 2 day event instead of the current 3 day event. Do media and other stuff on the Friday, FP in the morning of Saturday, quali/sprint combo on Saturday afternoon, race on Sunday. I could see them dropping qualifying and just set the sprint grid from FP times. That would also force the teams to run in wet FP conditions too as they'd have to set a time.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.