The last time tyre manufacturer wars featured in every auto racing competitions universe

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Zynerji

Re: The last time tyre manufacturer wars featured in every auto racing competitions universe

DiogoBrand wrote:
21 Sep 2021, 04:49
Zynerji wrote:
21 Sep 2021, 01:38
DiogoBrand wrote:
21 Sep 2021, 00:07

Yeah that would surely be cost effective. While they're at it they could also demand that every team builds their own power unit, builds their own brakes, and also that every team creates their own fuel and lubricants.
It's another couple machines and 4ppl.

Way to much, I agree🙄
If only I knew you only need a couple of machines and 4 people to design and manufacture tyres...
Michelin would be bankrupt by now.
Have you read what I said, and watched the pirelli manufacturing videos?🙄

Tyre manufacturers do the R&D and basic design, then teams modify that design and manufacture to their specifications. Then feed that data back to the manufacturer to improve through iteration.

The machines aren't anything crazy. And the raw materials can be co-opped.

SF Engineer

Re: The last time tyre manufacturer wars featured in every auto racing competitions universe

Super GT

GT500 (Class 1) & GT300 (GT3, etc.): Bridgestone, Michelin, Yokohama, Dunlop

Pandamasque

theriusDR3 wrote:
16 Sep 2021, 13:30
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/bc/20/34 ... 2c7d8d.jpg
IMSA WeatherTech Sports Car Championship - 2018 (Continental VS Michelin)
This image depicts two different classes. The red Mazda is from DPi class that had spec Continental tyre. Whereas the Corvette was in GTLM, which on paper was a free tire class until 2019, I think. However the last time it consistently featured tire competition was a few years earlier when Falken ran its own team with some occasional Dunlop entries.

The last time we saw tyre competition in FIA WEC and at Le Mans was 2019 (Dunlop vs Michelin in LMP2). All classes switched to control tyre in 2020.

NLS and the 24h of Nuerburgring still has tyre competition with at least Michelin, GoodYear, Falken and Yokohama currently involved.