Sprint Races OR something MUCH more Entertaining ?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
SiLo

Re: Sprint Races OR something MUCH more Entertaining ?

Manoah2u wrote:
05 Oct 2021, 22:54
SiLo wrote:
05 Oct 2021, 11:34
Quite simply, we don't need sprint races, we need cheaper ways to view.
Netflix, HBO Max, etc. great opportunities for viewing - both live and after, and you can even select language, so you can watch it in SkySports coverage, Italian coverage, German, Dutch, etc.
Imagine a sport bundle for Netflix that cost £5-£10 a month. And you can watch ALL the F1 sessions whenever you want.

I guess it's a similar reason why Amazon Prime is sniffing around the Premier league.
Felipe Baby!

JordanMugen

Format idea:

FP1 - 2 hours
Q - Q3-Q2-Q1 knockout system, awards pole position
FP2 - 30 min
SR - 150km 10-8-6-4-3-2-1 (grid based on full reverse Q)
GP - 305km 25-18-16-14-12-10-8-6-4-3-2-1 FL 1 (grid based on Q)

Could definitely be an option IMO. With the speed difference of the upper and lower grid cars, it makes the Sprint the action packed, PlayStation 5 F1 game extravaganza as FOM intend it to be as Hamilton carving through the field showed. :)

NL_Fer

I would prefer the sprint on Friday, based on WDC position, normal or reversed. Than a normal Q on Saturday, Race on Sunday based on Q.

I think drivers will take more risk on Friday, if the mistake in the sprint had no consequences for the rest of the weekend.

El Scorchio

NL_Fer wrote:
18 Nov 2021, 14:30
I would prefer the sprint on Friday, based on WDC position, normal or reversed. Than a normal Q on Saturday, Race on Sunday based on Q.

I think drivers will take more risk on Friday, if the mistake in the sprint had no consequences for the rest of the weekend.
But then is there even a point to doing it that way? Who would watch a race where there are zero consequences on the outcome? I feel that whether it's WDC position or reverse WDC position, half the field would just retire their cars on lap 1. Especially if the points are distributed the same way as the sprints now. In WDC position, there's literally no gain for anyone from McLaren/Ferrari downward to merit actually doing the race, and vice versa, there's virtually no chance for the top teams/drivers to benefit so why would they bother with it? Especially bearing in mind cost cap/engines.

I just don't see a way in which sprint races can be made meaningful and not hugely devalue traditional qualifying at the same time.

flynfrog

JordanMugen wrote:
14 Nov 2021, 09:21
Format idea:

FP1 - 2 hours
FP2 - 30 min

Could definitely be an option IMO. With the speed difference of the upper and lower grid cars, it makes the Sprint the action packed, PlayStation 5 F1 game extravaganza as FOM intend it to be as Hamilton carving through the field showed. :)

To me with the sprint race the Knockout is a little much

Id go flying lap qual Could draw a number for the order.

Sets the grid in groups of 4
each group of 4 draws for starting grid in sprint race.

Sprint race sets the grid
extra point for every position gained during the sprint 5 max.

El Scorchio

flynfrog wrote:
19 Nov 2021, 04:28
JordanMugen wrote:
Format idea:

FP1 - 2 hours
FP2 - 30 min

To me with the sprint race the Knockout is a little much

Id go flying lap qual Could draw a number for the order.

Sets the grid in groups of 4
each group of 4 draws for starting grid in sprint race.

Sprint race sets the grid
extra point for every position gained during the sprint 5 max.
You're leaving far too much potentially down to the weather with that lottery system. We've seen too many times a drying track or rain have a massive influence.

Also it's got to be extremely easy for casual viewers to understand. Like 'Turn on the telly and get it within 5 seconds' easy' or they'll just turn over. This feels like the rules of a board game.

Stu

JordanMugen wrote:
Format idea:

FP1 - 2 hours
FP2 - 30 min

I had thought of something along similar lines, but would look to offer less points-paying positions in the sprint (10-1 for first six finishers, like the old points system).
I then gave it some further thought….

Friday qualifying, deciding grid for main event.
Saturday sprint, reverse grid based on WDC standings (alternatively, offer points for Q and reverse grid based on Q).
Sunday GP, based on Friday Q.

If rear-of-grid teams do well in the sprints, they begin to score WDC points.
Mid-grid teams also get the chance to score decent points.
The ‘big-hitters’ need to do really well during the sprint race to score, but have their usual advantages on Sunday.

It would allow for a relaxation of parc ferme conditions (I would allow set-up changes, but not allow component changes without penalty). All tyre types would have to be used across the weekend during races.

There would be a lot of action across the weekend (great for those in attendance), you could also offer a Sprint Championship (based solely on sprint points).
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

adrianjordan

I think a Sprint Championship would be at least worth trying.

I also like the idea of having to use all 3 tyre compounds between the race and sprint - would add an element of strategy to the mix.

As for setup changes, maybe only allow limited changes, maybe even based on reverse WCC positions. So a backnof the field team can optimise their car for Sprint and then the race, with progressively more restricted changes as you move up the table.

Really am just throwing ideas out there now!! Lol
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Stu

adrianjordan wrote:
28 Nov 2021, 10:04
I think a Sprint Championship would be at least worth trying.

I also like the idea of having to use all 3 tyre compounds between the race and sprint - would add an element of strategy to the mix.

As for setup changes, maybe only allow limited changes, maybe even based on reverse WCC positions. So a backnof the field team can optimise their car for Sprint and then the race, with progressively more restricted changes as you move up the table.

Really am just throwing ideas out there now!! Lol
Same here!
The set-up changes (from my suggestion) would be limited to detail changes of on-board items; for example, damping adjustment, or wing adjustments. Although parts cannot be removed from the car for the changes without getting a penalty.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.