2021 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi, Sep 24 - 26

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
hollus

Re: 2021 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi, Sep 24 - 26

Wasn’t Fernando quite literally defending his team mate?! It is literally his job. No extra motivation needed.
Rivals, not enemies.

PlatinumZealot

Alonso didn't know for sure that Vettel could not pass Ocon. A podium for himself means more to him than a win for Ocon. I can't see how his teammate winning works for him. Alonso is the biggest racer of them all and nothing is more wonderful to him than having bragging rights over his teammates. I think Alonso was just defending to secure a podium. Just my opinion.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Hammerfist

sosic2121 wrote:
01 Oct 2021, 19:04
NathanOlder wrote:
01 Oct 2021, 14:12
sosic2121 wrote:
01 Oct 2021, 13:43
Since day 1 Bottas was doing what team requested. He received suboptimal strategy many times. He destroyed his engine while blocking Vettel. He was asked to drive slower so his (quicker) team could score fastest lap.
Every F1 driver is highly competitive and wants to become WDC, and Bottas was probably promised a shot when his time comes.
And his time never came.
So why would he block a faster car in a race that was ruined by his team!?
You make it seem like a team asking its driver to do something (that is completely normal) in the interest of the team is not allowed.
It looked like max was faster and he was going to overtake him anyway, so in his personal interest was to loose as little time as possible, and he did that.
If his team expected that him would do something "extra" for them, they shouldn't have signed Russell.
All this time Bottas is waiting for his chance, and now it won't happen. Give him a break.
Max was faster than Alonso and Ricciardo and he could not pass. It should have been impossible for Max to pass Bottas, who was driving the fastest car on the day.
And how in the heck do you loose as little time as possible by letting a slower car overtake you???

Andres125sx

Insinuating Alonso will let pass X driver easier than Y driver is knowing NOTHING about Alonso, even after 20 years of racing #-o

It was not Alonso doing an extra effort, it was Lewis doing some mistakes, Alonso did nothing special really, he just didn´t open the door and didn´t make mistakes

Fernando Alonso wrote:Honestly, I think that Lewis was making a small mistake in the last two corners, that's my honest opinion

Because he had so much pace, you can't take eight laps to pass with that pace advantage.
https://f1i.com/news/414077-alonso-surp ... ilton.html

Anycase, as someone said, it´s funny to read those insinuations in the only race thread of the season where Alonso actually did overtake Max on track :lol:

hollus

Ok. If we wish to continue discussing that Alonso thing, let’s go to the Hungarian GP thread.
Rivals, not enemies.

etusch

We know what are you doing =D> =D> =D>
Alonso: Sochi move reaction shows rules aren't applied equally

Alonso then made reference to McLaren driver Lando Norris's crossing of the white line at pit entry in the closing stages of the Russia race that saw him escape a penalty and only land a reprimand following a stewards' investigation.

"Let's see, the next one that crosses the white line on the pit entry, let's see which nationality he is and which penalty he will get," Alonso said.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/alon ... s/6682489/

NathanOlder

Or how about the guy had dry tyres on a soaking wet track and the stewards take conditions and the circumstances in to account.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

dans79

NathanOlder wrote:
07 Oct 2021, 22:52
Or how about the guy had dry tyres on a soaking wet track and the stewards take conditions and the circumstances in to account.
Alonso has never thought that way, it's always the whole world is against him!
197 104 103 7

ringo

Since he left Mclaren he has made snide remarks about the British nationals. The FIA couldn't care less about Lando being British. Russel has been penalized quite often as a comparison. The FIA did not penalize Lando as he would have been a hazard on track with his slick tyres. It did not make sense to penalize him for not staying out on track when staying out on track could have meant a late safety car that would have spoiled the show.
For Sure!!

e30ernest

Yeah agree with that. If Lando had stayed out after crossing that line, he would have been a potential hazard for the rest of the field in those conditions. Allowing him back into the pits was the logical decision.

Andres125sx

I don´t think Alonso meant Lando should have stayed on track with slicks, but he should have been more cautious at his pit entry as misjudging grip, crossing the white line and invading the track could have caused an accident if some other driver was at that point of the track. That was dangerous

Misjudging grip is not an excuse to avoid a penalty, or it usually it´s not. Anycase I agree with stewads tough, very difficult conditions

This is Russian GP BTW

I don’t agree with ALO that there’s a nationality bias (read British bias), as quite frankly VER is probably the worst offender of first lap offences. That said NOR wasn’t on the wrong tyres by accident - he had a few opportunities to pit; should’ve been a slam dunk penalty IMO.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

RZS10

All the fuss about Max' car supposedly being checked more often than the others was over nothing ... in Russia it wasn't his (33) but car 55 (Sainz) which was picked for the more extensive physical inspection.

Gillian

Andres125sx wrote:
03 Oct 2021, 11:23
Insinuating Alonso will let pass X driver easier than Y driver is knowing NOTHING about Alonso, even after 20 years of racing #-o

It was not Alonso doing an extra effort, it was Lewis doing some mistakes, Alonso did nothing special really, he just didn´t open the door and didn´t make mistakes

Fernando Alonso wrote:Honestly, I think that Lewis was making a small mistake in the last two corners, that's my honest opinion

Because he had so much pace, you can't take eight laps to pass with that pace advantage.
https://f1i.com/news/414077-alonso-surp ... ilton.html

Anycase, as someone said, it´s funny to read those insinuations in the only race thread of the season where Alonso actually did overtake Max on track :lol:

From racingnews365:

Fernando Alonso has denied wanting to play any part in this year's title fight, or that he'd prefer to see Max Verstappen beat Lewis Hamilton to the World Championship.

Red Bull's Helmut Marko suggested that Alonso could be a key factor in the Turkish Grand Prix, as the Spaniard started in front of Lewis Hamilton on the grid.

Marko said that Alonso "is not a big Hamilton fan", and may defend strenuously against the recovering Mercedes, as he did so effectively at the Hungarian Grand Prix.

But Alonso denied that he has any favourites in the title hunt.

"I'm not a friend of anyone!" Alonso smiled when speaking to media, including RacingNews365.com, after Sunday's race at Istanbul Park.

"[Mercedes boss] Toto [Wolff] will say the same thing if it was the opposite.

"We do our own race. We saw this year that the pace of Mercedes and Red Bull, they are unstoppable.

"It was a topic in Hungary, because the circuit allowed you to defend a little bit more, but in a normal circuit, we saw [Valtteri] Bottas in Monza started last, finished on the podium. Even the Ferraris sometimes, [Charles] Leclerc started last in Sochi or Carlos [Sainz] here [in Turkey], they passed by without any possible defence.

"I think they [Red Bull] will have to fight for the championship in their own power."

Asked whether he enjoys fighting with Hamilton in particular, given their history as teammates and the Hungary battle, Alonso said he hadn't got any particular preference.

"It was a coincidence of being in Hungary," he commented.

"But no, I like to fight with all of them, especially if they're a top champion. Max and Lewis, I'm enjoying, but even when you are behind them in the middle of a pack with George [Russell], [Antonio] Giovinazzi, Mick [Schumacher]... still great fights and quite a lot of respect, so it's all the same."

Andres125sx

Exactly