2021 United States Grand Prix - Austin, Oct 22 - 24

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
AeroDynamic

Re: 2021 United States Grand Prix - Austin, Oct 22 - 24

In USA I don’t know what to expect. If the RB has the same issues using a bigger wing, MCS could run away with it. If they use a bigger wing but without problems then I’m going to think Newey has solved their problem. They’ve had 2 weeks since Turkey to figure it out some more.

It’s going to be interesting. For me, Max is the favourite, I’ll be surprised if Mercedes can keep up at high altitude, if Perez and max finish 1-2 and keep Lewis P3 or lower, that could be some real big advances.
Last edited by AeroDynamic on 18 Oct 2021, 14:49, edited 1 time in total.

Wouter

Pirelli: "In 2020 the track underwent partial resurfacing, involving around 40% of its total length."
Roughness not confirmed but same selection as in 2019.
The Power of Dreams!

Just_a_fan

So is it going to be the same as last year with Q2 on C3, then run C3-C2 with a possible C3 to finish if a second stop is needed? Or perhaps C4-C2(-C3 if needed)?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Wouter

:D

The Power of Dreams!

godlameroso

Stu wrote:
17 Oct 2021, 15:21
Could this be a good track for RB?
I don't see why not. If they get the setup right, it should slice through the corners. Luckily a medium downforce setup can be very fast here, you don't have to pack on the rear downforce. Which means the car will be better balanced.
Saishū kōnā

santos

Hope that the track doesn't play a part on who gets to finnish the race. It was pretty bumpy for MotoGP, and it already caused broken suspensions in recent years...

Scorpaguy

Santos is correct. Very bumpy. In 2019, at the beginning of FP1, Ham asked on the Radio, "Is this track safe to race on?"

While bumpy, I actually think that was a bit of hyperbole on his part as Danny Ric later responded that he prefered bumpy tracks as it imparted character. I also suspect it imparts additional overtaking oportunities. Still, Merc was untouchable here in 2019 (no race in 2020).

ispano6

https://us.motorsport.com/f1/news/cota- ... s/6686149/

"Some of the bumpy areas of the Circuit of the Americas in Texas are being smoothed out ahead of Formula 1’s United States Grand Prix."

zibby43

AeroDynamic wrote:
18 Oct 2021, 13:48
In USA I don’t know what to expect. If the RB has the same issues using a bigger wing, MCS could run away with it. If they use a bigger wing but without problems then I’m going to think Newey has solved their problem. They’ve had 2 weeks since Turkey to figure it out some more.

It’s going to be interesting. For me, Max is the favourite, I’ll be surprised if Mercedes can keep up at high altitude, if Perez and max finish 1-2 and keep Lewis P3 or lower, that could be some real big advances.
Austin is not high-altitude.

This has been a very strong circuit for Mercedes, and particularly Hamilton, for the entirety of the hybrid era.

NathanOlder

zibby43 wrote:
20 Oct 2021, 08:04
AeroDynamic wrote:

This has been a very strong circuit for Mercedes, and particularly Hamilton, for the entirety of the hybrid era.
Maybe he was referring to turn 1 ? :lol: That has to be high altitude 8)
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Wouter

zibby43 wrote:
AeroDynamic wrote:

I think it was because Mercedes always had the strongest PU, in combination with the driving skills of Lewis and Bottas of course.
This year, however, the Honda PU is much better than last season and above all very reliable
We'll see, it's going to be very exciting.
The Power of Dreams!

basti313

zibby43 wrote:
AeroDynamic wrote:

Strange perception. Statistically and especially in qualifying COTA is clearly one of the worst tracks for Hamilton in the hybrid era. He lost about 50% of the final Q sessions here against his teammate, some even further back...find this on another track...
The race results were also not good given that the Merc was massively faster than any other car in nearly every year on this track. If you take away the hard turn 1 moves against Rosberg, what else is particularly good? Again...find a similar record on another track.

So I think the big question this weekend is if Redbull is 0.2sec close in Q. Then we have a good chance that Ver can split the Mercs and with one or two Bulls in the middle, turn 1 will be interesting. The big issue is, that COTA is also not particularly good for Perez, so maybe we see rather Gasly in P4 hunting a Merc into turn 1.
Don`t russel the hamster!

El Scorchio

basti313 wrote:
20 Oct 2021, 10:13
zibby43 wrote:
AeroDynamic wrote:

Strange perception. Statistically and especially in qualifying COTA is clearly one of the worst tracks for Hamilton in the hybrid era. He lost about 50% of the final Q sessions here against his teammate, some even further back...find this on another track...
The race results were also not good given that the Merc was massively faster than any other car in nearly every year on this track. If you take away the hard turn 1 moves against Rosberg, what else is particularly good? Again...find a similar record on another track.

So I think the big question this weekend is if Redbull is 0.2sec close in Q. Then we have a good chance that Ver can split the Mercs and with one or two Bulls in the middle, turn 1 will be interesting. The big issue is, that COTA is also not particularly good for Perez, so maybe we see rather Gasly in P4 hunting a Merc into turn 1.
Race results are what counts. Hamilton won here in 2012, 2014-17. The years has hasn't won the race he hasn't really needed to. Sot it's absolutely a strong circuit for him and Mercedes.

basti313

El Scorchio wrote:
20 Oct 2021, 11:13
basti313 wrote:
20 Oct 2021, 10:13
zibby43 wrote:

Race results are what counts. Hamilton won here in 2012, 2014-17. The years has hasn't won the race he hasn't really needed to. Sot it's absolutely a strong circuit for him and Mercedes.
Is there any other track on the calendar where Ham did not win in 2018 or 2019? Especially one where the Merc was performing very well? I do not know any track where Ham did not win for two consecutive years although Merc taking pole.

As said, killing Rosberg in turn 1 is a thing, but I am still missing an argument why this should be a strong circuit for Ham. I do not want to start the usual discussions about God, I am just saying that I can not see godlike performance like everywhere else here. Maybe this helps to spice up the weekend because with Merc 1-2 after turn 1 this will be a race one should watch in fast forward.
Don`t russel the hamster!

SiLo

He's literally won here 5 times, and was on the podium 2 other times. Lowest finish was 4th in 2013.

Here's a running tally of points scored here:
Driver			Points Total
 Lewis Hamilton		170
 Sebastian Vettel	106
 Valtteri Bottas	59
 Max Verstappen		57
 Nico Rosberg		56
 Kimi Räikkönen		48
 Fernando Alonso	43
 Daniel Ricciardo	39
 Felipe Massa		32
 Carlos Sainz Jr.	30