2021 United States Grand Prix - Austin, Oct 22 - 24

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
_cerber1

Re: 2021 United States Grand Prix - Austin, Oct 22 - 24

Wouter wrote:
20 Oct 2021, 09:03
This year, however, the Honda PU is much better than last season and above all very reliable
We'll see, it's going to be very exciting.
If Honda is as reliable as you say, why then Gasly has a 4 engine?

El Scorchio

SiLo wrote:
20 Oct 2021, 12:17
He's literally won here 5 times, and was on the podium 2 other times. Lowest finish was 4th in 2013.

Here's a running tally of points scored here:
Driver			Points Total
 Lewis Hamilton		170
 Sebastian Vettel	106
 Valtteri Bottas	59
 Max Verstappen		57
 Nico Rosberg		56
 Kimi Räikkönen		48
 Fernando Alonso	43
 Daniel Ricciardo	39
 Felipe Massa		32
 Carlos Sainz Jr.	30
 Sergio Pérez		29
 Romain Grosjean	25
 Nico Hülkenberg	22
 Jenson Button		21
 Mark Webber		15
 Charles Leclerc	13
 Alexander Albon	10
 Esteban Ocon		8
 Pastor Maldonado	8
 Lando Norris		6
 Kevin Magnussen	4
 Brendon Hartley	2
 Felipe Nasr		2
 Bruno Senna		1
 Daniil Kvyat		1
 Jean-Éric Vergne	1
 Marcus Ericsson	1
Exactly. I've no idea what the other poster is trying to prove.

etusch

_cerber1 wrote:
20 Oct 2021, 12:33
Wouter wrote:
This year, however, the Honda PU is much better than last season and above all very reliable
Honda is best from every aspect this season. (You can erase you claim by thinking Bottas is using 5th engine.)
But what I want to emphasise is that how much Verstappen would be advantagous if he didn't lost his engine at silverstone crash. Think that how it would be if Verstappen finished that race even out of podium ( but realistically he would finish second at worst) and didn't get penalty at Sochi ? It is obvious that Honda has decent power, with very good reliability and many beneficial feature that helps Redbull to built best package of the season as a whole and this force Mercedes to push harder. They don't have much improvement with chassis and loaded everything to PU. Now we don't know if their engine will pull this load or not.

_cerber1

etusch wrote:
20 Oct 2021, 12:51
Honda is best from every aspect this season. (You can erase you claim by thinking Bottas is using 5th engine.)
But what I want to emphasise is that how much Verstappen would be advantagous if he didn't lost his engine at silverstone crash. Think that how it would be if Verstappen finished that race even out of podium ( but realistically he would finish second at worst) and didn't get penalty at Sochi ? It is obvious that Honda has decent power, with very good reliability and many beneficial feature that helps Redbull to built best package of the season as a whole and this force Mercedes to push harder. They don't have much improvement with chassis and loaded everything to PU. Now we don't know if their engine will pull this load or not.
I'm not interested in your reasoning, what would happen if ...
I want to know why Gasly's motor was changed.

Wouter

_cerber1 wrote:
20 Oct 2021, 12:33
Wouter wrote:
So you only get a new PU when it comes to reliability?
If something breaks due to a driver error, you also get a new PU.
But you don't have to believe that the Honda PU is reliable. Think what you want.

Gasly was set to start the 53-lap Italian Grand Prix from 19th place after crashing on the opening lap of the sprint qualifying.

The 2020 Italian Grand Prix winner tagged the rear of Daniel Ricciardo’s McLaren, breaking his front wing in the process.

As he turned into Curva Grande, the wing became lodged underneath his AT02, sending him off the track, through the gravel and into the barrier.

As such AlphaTauri and Honda opted to change his PU, putting him onto his fourth for this season.

Instead of starting P19, he’ll now be starting from the pit lane.

A Honda statement read: “After his accident yesterday and taking into consideration Pierre’s starting position, along with the team we have decided to introduce a whole new PU into the pool that he will run today.”
The Power of Dreams!

_cerber1

Wouter wrote:
20 Oct 2021, 13:07
But you don't have to believe that the Honda PU is reliable. Think what you want.
I understood, thank you, I have always respected people who cannot answer for their words. Good luck!

Wouter

_cerber1 wrote:
20 Oct 2021, 13:15
Wouter wrote:
20 Oct 2021, 13:07
I understood, thank you,

I have always respected people who cannot answer for their words. Good luck!
huh? I have no idea what you write and mean to say. My English is not that great.

Was my extended quote explaining the 4th PU not enough?!

And "Good luck" with what?
The Power of Dreams!

etusch

_cerber1 wrote:
20 Oct 2021, 13:06

I'm not interested in your reasoning, what would happen if ...
I want to know why Gasly's motor was changed.
You are trying to make me say what you want to see. how a meaningless approach. Do you want to see reliability or just want to see a small part which works for you ?
I am not interested that. You have to say it yourself.

basti313
basti313

El Scorchio wrote:
20 Oct 2021, 12:38
SiLo wrote:
He's literally won here 5 times, and was on the podium 2 other times. Lowest finish was 4th in 2013.

Driver			Points Total
 Lewis Hamilton		170
 Sebastian Vettel	106
 Valtteri Bottas	59
 Max Verstappen		57
 Nico Rosberg		56
 Kimi Räikkönen		48
 Fernando Alonso	43
 Daniel Ricciardo	39
 Felipe Massa		32
 Carlos Sainz Jr.	30
 Sergio Pérez		29
 Romain Grosjean	25
 Nico Hülkenberg	22
 Jenson Button		21
 Mark Webber		15
 Charles Leclerc	13
 Alexander Albon	10
 Esteban Ocon		8
 Pastor Maldonado	8
 Lando Norris		6
 Kevin MagnussenI a	4
 Brendon Hartley	2
 Felipe Nasr		2
 Bruno Senna		1
 Daniil Kvyat		1
 Jean-Éric Vergne	1
 Marcus Ericsson	1
I do not and I do not have to prove anything here.
Do an average point count for all tracks for the last 5 years without 20 and technical DNFs and you will see, that COTA, Spore and Monaco are the worst tracks by far for Ham. Take the qualifying performance and it is even worse.
So I simply disagree on the point that this is a particularly strong track for Ham.

And I disagree on the point that the race counts as I expect it to be super close with the Bulls. So Qualifying counts. If Merc locks a 1-2, Ham will win the race. If Ham starts from P3 next to Perez, he has to drive circles around Perez in turn 1. The race win will most probably be gone in this case.
Don`t russel the hamster!

SiLo

basti313 wrote:
20 Oct 2021, 13:39
El Scorchio wrote:
20 Oct 2021, 12:38
SiLo wrote:

Driver			Points Total
 Lewis Hamilton		170
 Sebastian Vettel	106
 Valtteri Bottas	59
 Max Verstappen		57
 Nico Rosberg		56
 Kimi Räikkönen		48
 Fernando Alonso	43
 Daniel Ricciardo	39
 Felipe Massa		32
 Carlos Sainz Jr.	30
 Sergio Pérez		29
 Romain Grosjean	25
 Nico Hülkenberg	22
 Jenson Button		21
 Mark Webber		15
 Charles Leclerc	13
 Alexander Albon	10
 Esteban Ocon		8
 Pastor Maldonado	8
 Lando Norris		6
 Kevin MagnussenI a	4
 Brendon Hartley	2
 Felipe Nasr		2
 Bruno Senna		1
 Daniil Kvyat		1
 Jean-Éric Vergne	1
 Marcus Ericsson	1
Do an average point count for all tracks for the last 5 years without 20 and technical DNFs and you will see, that COTA, Spore and Monaco are the worst tracks by far for Ham. Take the qualifying performance and it is even worse.
So I simply disagree on the point that this is a particularly strong track for Ham.

And I disagree on the point that the race counts as I expect it to be super close with the Bulls. So Qualifying counts. If Merc locks a 1-2, Ham will win the race. If Ham starts from P3 next to Perez, he has to drive circles around Perez in turn 1. The race win will most probably be gone in this case.
More than happy for you to show those points totals buddy, rather than just claiming that's what they will show.
Felipe Baby!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

basti313 wrote:
20 Oct 2021, 13:39

Last 5 races at COTA he's had 3 poles and 3 wins. 2 of the wins from pole, 1 win from P2. Otherwise, he's finished 2nd (from P5) and 3rd (from P1) which was the "diva car" season. Not a bad result really.

What's interesting is that this is considered to be a weak track for him. Compared to the likes of Hungary, Canada, Britain, yes it is, but it's still hardly a bad showing.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Zynerji

How do we think the McLaren's will go here? Dark Horse podium contenders?

AeroDynamic

zibby43 wrote:
20 Oct 2021, 08:04
AeroDynamic wrote:
18 Oct 2021, 13:48
In USA I don’t know what to expect. If the RB has the same issues using a bigger wing, MCS could run away with it. If they use a bigger wing but without problems then I’m going to think Newey has solved their problem. They’ve had 2 weeks since Turkey to figure it out some more.

It’s going to be interesting. For me, Max is the favourite, I’ll be surprised if Mercedes can keep up at high altitude, if Perez and max finish 1-2 and keep Lewis P3 or lower, that could be some real big advances.

Austin is not high-altitude.

This has been a very strong circuit for Mercedes, and particularly Hamilton, for the entirety of the hybrid era.
I know my tracks, and I know it’s not. I’m talking about the championship and coming races.

Almost every track has been strong for Mercedes in the hybrid era :lol: they had a very strong car for many years. Every season is a different picture, this year the cars are so close, there are few happy hunting grounds for this season. Mexico and Brazil, with the altitude, will likely remain a weaker track for MCS. But the RB has been competitive anywhere they can set the car up. In the last race in COTA, RB was more competitive there than they were at other tracks. Since the gap is a lot smaller than it was between the cars in 2019 this year, there really is a wide open chance either can be working better here. Red Bull are feeling their chances, they know it even if the followers believe prior years predicts the same for this year. The French Grand Prix should have been enough to tell you, no car is favourite based on previous years. They’re so close at this stage of the season, set up is deciding it.

mclaren111

Zynerji wrote:
20 Oct 2021, 14:56

I hope they can come back strong after Turkey...

Same as RB... Must get the set-up right...

Zynerji

mclaren111 wrote:
20 Oct 2021, 15:53
Zynerji wrote:
20 Oct 2021, 14:56

I hope they can come back strong after Turkey...

Same as RB... Must get the set-up right...
I'm definitely becoming a Lando fan...😳