2021 United States Grand Prix - Austin, Oct 22 - 24

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
mclaren111

Re: 2021 United States Grand Prix - Austin, Oct 22 - 24

_cerber1 wrote:
21 Oct 2021, 08:58
Will it be a rainy weekend again?

https://www.racefans.net/2021/10/21/war ... k-of-rain/

Doesn't look like it... :D :D

AeroDynamic

I hope we get a straight forward race between Max and Lewis at USA. Feels like we haven’t had one between them since zandvoort. No weather luck, no lottery, no strategy genius, just a straight fight like we had in Bahrain, France, Spain, Imola, etc.

If we get that, and both teams get the cars in a happy working set up window, we might just finally know the real answer regarding how close the two cars are to eachother. A lot of ignorance has shown itself within the community with people asserting that MCS is the best car. The facts are RB and MCS have both gained performance since Silverstone, but relative to the rest or the field in Turkey, RB went backwards to 4 other teams. It is not the MCS leaping ahead. With all that extra grip on Turkey, the MCS twitchy rear wasn’t tested. While the set up woes at RB with the high downforce rear wing (like in Hungary) pegs it back by multiple tenths. Max has alarmed this problem since Silverstone.
Last edited by AeroDynamic on 21 Oct 2021, 12:36, edited 2 times in total.

SiLo

People seem to be confusing RB's potential rear tyre/balance issues with "getting the setup wrong", which I think should be heeded with some caution.

It's possible the issues they have are simply an error on their part in setup, but I believe the team is smart enough to know that's the case, and that it wouldn't have been an issue multiple times already. Hopefully a fully dry normal weekend will shed some more light on it.
Felipe Baby!

El Scorchio

AeroDynamic wrote:
21 Oct 2021, 10:30
I hope we get a straight forward race between Max and Lewis at USA. Feels like we haven’t had one between them since zandvoort. No weather luck, no lottery, no strategy genius, just a straight fight like we had in Bahrain, France, Spain, Imola, etc.

If we get that, and both teams get the cars in a happy working set up window, we might just finally know the real answer regarding how close the two cars are to eachother. A lot of ignorance has shown itself within the community with people asserting that MCS is the best car. The facts are RB and MCS have both gained performance since Silverstone, but relative to the rest or the field in Turkey, RB went backwards to 4 other teams. It is not the MCS leaping ahead. With all that extra grip on Turkey, the MCS twitchy rear wasn’t tested. While the set up woes at RB with the high downforce rear wing (like in Hungary) pegs it back by multiple tenths. Max has alarmed this problem since Silverstone.
More than likely it'll end with one or both of them off the track. As Hamilton has more to lose at this particular track in terms of perceived car strength before the race starts, I expect he's not going to want to go anywhere near Verstappen's car unless it's a slam dunk overtake with virtually no chance of contact, should he find himself behind or very close in front at any point. He can't afford another Monza. I also expect Verstappen to have no interest in avoiding contact in the first few corners if they are together or side by side and it's going to be up to Hamilton to back out.

godlameroso

Mercedes doesn't like the bumps.
Saishū kōnā

Wouter

El Scorchio wrote:
21 Oct 2021, 14:18
I also expect Verstappen to have no interest in avoiding contact in the first few corners if they are together or side by side .........
You mean that Max likes to bump into someone else in the first corners driving, causing damage?
What do you mean exactly?
The Power of Dreams!

PlatinumZealot

AeroDynamic wrote:
21 Oct 2021, 10:30

My heart can't take it so I want a race between Lewis and Valtteri. :lol:
Need points to even out a bit going into Mexico and Brazil.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

pb6797
pb6797

godlameroso wrote:
21 Oct 2021, 16:44
Do any of the cars? Although, interesting question, does high rake or low rake suffer more from the bumps?

pb6797
pb6797

Wouter wrote:
21 Oct 2021, 17:02
El Scorchio wrote:
I also expect Verstappen to have no interest in avoiding contact in the first few corners if they are together or side by side .........
You mean that Max likes to bump into someone else in the first corners driving, causing damage?
I am guessing that much as with Prost/Senna, the driver in front in the Championship has less to lose from a collision, provided they are both DNF. It's a high-risk strategy (imagine if Prost had managed to continue - Senna would have looked like a plank, in much the same way Schumacher on Villeneuve in 97 just made Schumacher look silly). But that is what I would infer from the poster's coment.

Spacepace

godlameroso wrote:
21 Oct 2021, 16:44
W12 rides kerbs quite well compared to the rest of the grid. That's always been in the DNA of Merc chassis

El Scorchio

pb6797 wrote:
21 Oct 2021, 18:35
Wouter wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:
I am guessing that much as with Prost/Senna, the driver in front in the Championship has less to lose from a collision, provided they are both DNF. It's a high-risk strategy (imagine if Prost had managed to continue - Senna would have looked like a plank, in much the same way Schumacher on Villeneuve in 97 just made Schumacher look silly). But that is what I would infer from the poster's coment.
Precisely. Due to the circumstances in the title fight and this race being a 'must win' for Hamilton ahead of Mexico and Brazil, He has a huge need to get points on the board and incentive to win and finish the race. A double DNF really suits Verstappen here so he's absolutely not going to back out of anything. Should Hamilton be ahead in the championship at Mexico and/or Brazil, the shoe will be on the other foot and Hamilton won't be backing out.

Wouter

El Scorchio wrote:
21 Oct 2021, 18:46
pb6797 wrote:
Wouter wrote:
Precisely. Due to the circumstances in the title fight and this race being a 'must win' for Hamilton ahead of Mexico and Brazil, He has a huge need to get points on the board and incentive to win and finish the race. A double DNF really suits Verstappen here so he's absolutely not going to back out of anything. Should Hamilton be ahead in the championship at Mexico and/or Brazil, the shoe will be on the other foot and Hamilton won't be backing out.
Oh, that way. Thank you both for the explanation.
The Power of Dreams!

Zynerji

Local weather report said incoming cold front from the west, pushing the gulf stream south and causing high humidity. The track is right on this meeting line of the weather fronts, so could be highly humid with swirling winds.

ispano6

El Scorchio wrote:
21 Oct 2021, 18:46
pb6797 wrote:
Wouter wrote:

There is always the bowling ball Bottas. And there is Norris and Leclerc in the picture as well. HAM also said he won't back down, he could be aggressive like he was in Silverstone. First lap will be mayhem. Leclerc ruined Max's race at Suzuka in 2019 on the first corner, ironic that Max has never finished a race at Suzuka with Honda power. Almost remiscent of the Prost-Senna crash, which Ham knows very well and thought it was 'cool'.

dans79

ispano6 wrote:
21 Oct 2021, 21:11
Almost remiscent of the Prost-Senna crash, which Ham knows very well and thought it was 'cool'.
How would you have responded when the head of the fIA is actively and blatantly trying to F you over?
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/senna ... 6/5053036/
'At Suzuka last year I asked the officials to change pole position from the right side of the track to the left. It was unfair, as it was, because the right side is always dirty, and there is less grip - you sweat to get pole position, and then you are penalised for it. And they said, "Yes, no problem". Then, what happened? Balestre gave an order that it wasn't to be changed. I know how the system works, and I thought this was really ---.
197 104 103 7