2021 São Paulo Grand Prix - Interlagos, Nov 12-14

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
dans79

Re: 2021 São Paulo Grand Prix - Interlagos, Nov 12-14

nimoraca wrote:
18 Nov 2021, 18:21
Hamilton is avoiding giving any opinion on the incident and keeps talking how there needs to be respect on and off track. If he is not pressing for this why is the team doing it? Seems kind of strange.
He probably understands that Max is ready to crash out if given opportunity so he needs to put himself in a situation where there is no such opportunity.

He is focusing on this weekend, and letting the members of the team he trusts deal with it. aka keeping his eyes on the prize.

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/993294/1/ ... head-qatar
Mercedes met with the FIA at 5pm local time (2pm GMT) to discuss the incident and Hamilton admitted that he’s left his team to deal with the review rather than getting involved himself.

“I’ve not really been a part of it,” Hamilton added. “Of course I’m aware of it and I’m fully supportive of my team, but as I said, I literally just tried to give all my energy to this weekend and making sure we arrive and hit the ground running.

“I have no idea where they are going with the discussion or what could be the outcome, I’ve just not given it any energy at all.”
197 104 103 7

nimoraca

dans79 wrote:
18 Nov 2021, 18:25
nimoraca wrote:
Hamilton is avoiding giving any opinion on the incident and keeps talking how there needs to be respect on and off track. If he is not pressing for this why is the team doing it? Seems kind of strange.
He probably understands that Max is ready to crash out if given opportunity so he needs to put himself in a situation where there is no such opportunity.

He is focusing on this weekend, and letting the members of the team he trusts deal with it. aka keeping his eyes on the prize.

Mercedes met with the FIA at 5pm local time (2pm GMT) to discuss the incident and Hamilton admitted that he’s left his team to deal with the review rather than getting involved himself.

“I’ve not really been a part of it,” Hamilton added. “Of course I’m aware of it and I’m fully supportive of my team, but as I said, I literally just tried to give all my energy to this weekend and making sure we arrive and hit the ground running.

“I have no idea where they are going with the discussion or what could be the outcome, I’ve just not given it any energy at all.”
How can he not be a part of it?

El Scorchio

nimoraca wrote:
18 Nov 2021, 18:28
dans79 wrote:
nimoraca wrote:

I'd say partly psychology (i.e. telling Verstappen he can't get inside his head)
Also maybe 'taking the high ground' and not getting dragged into a war of words over it, maybe they feel given the evidence they have, (the telemetry and onboards speak for themselves) there's not a lot more he can add to it and influence an outcome.

dans79

El Scorchio wrote:
18 Nov 2021, 18:35
nimoraca wrote:
dans79 wrote:

I'd say partly psychology (i.e. telling Verstappen he can't get inside his head)
Also maybe 'taking the high ground' and not getting dragged into a war of words over it, maybe they feel given the evidence they have, (the telemetry and onboards speak for themselves) there's not a lot more he can add to it and influence an outcome.
Yea, He can waste all day talking to the press, or he can go about preparing for this weekend!
197 104 103 7

dans79

197 104 103 7

El Scorchio

dans79 wrote:
18 Nov 2021, 18:47
'Do you think we've brought too much bottled water with us Max?'

'Hmmm... Hard to say.'

El Scorchio

FWIW This is what Sky have said:

"We don't have a resolution to this... in fact we're going into extra time. The initial meeting that started at around 2pm UK time lasted 50 minutes, that came to an end then we've had a hiatus.

"Now, as I understand it, we are going to continue this meeting at 8pm local time, that's 5pm UK time.

"We're into some quite complicated legal argument, there's high-powered legal counsel involved from the two teams. One of the things they're currently debating, is can you have an appeal on an issue which didn't actually take place in the first place? What I mean by that is, Max Verstappen didn't get a penalty and in fact there was not even an initial stewards' investigation into his defence against Lewis Hamilton. Given there was no investigation, how can you overturn something that the stewards didn't address in the first place? They're trying to see if there's any foundation for overturning it."

Craig also adds...

"It's looking more likely that we don't get a resolution until tomorrow or maybe even until after cars get on the track for practice."

AeroDynamic

I love Pablo’s Honesty. All the drivers in the paddock are fence sitting too much.

djones

If nothing comes of this I really hope Mercedes allow Bottas to "let them race"

dans79

El Scorchio wrote:
18 Nov 2021, 18:55
"We're into some quite complicated legal argument, there's high-powered legal counsel involved from the two teams. One of the things they're currently debating, is can you have an appeal on an issue which didn't actually take place in the first place? What I mean by that is, Max Verstappen didn't get a penalty and in fact there was not even an initial stewards' investigation into his defence against Lewis Hamilton. Given there was no investigation, how can you overturn something that the stewards didn't address in the first place? They're trying to see if there's any foundation for overturning it."

I posted about this yesterday, racefans.net had a good example of the stewards themselves going back and investigating something they decided didn't need an investigation initially.
viewtopic.php?p=1012323#p1012323
197 104 103 7

nimoraca

El Scorchio wrote:
nimoraca wrote:
dans79 wrote:

All that would be fine if your team wasn't trying to appeal the decision. This way the stewards would look ridiculous if they were to issue a penalty for Max given that the affected party does not care about it.

dans79

nimoraca wrote:
18 Nov 2021, 19:11
El Scorchio wrote:
nimoraca wrote:

All that would be fine if your team wasn't trying to appeal the decision. This way the stewards would look ridiculous if they were to issue a penalty for Max given that the affected party does not care about it.
The affected party is the team, and Lewis is but one employee/member of it!
197 104 103 7

nimoraca wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:
nimoraca wrote:

Because a precedent needs to be set. Not this nebulous precedent that you think should be in place because of what occurred at a previous race but now at another race track somehow changes. But a real precedent, underpinned by written explanation for all to see.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

nimoraca

214270 wrote:
18 Nov 2021, 19:18
nimoraca wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:

Because a precedent needs to be set. Not this nebulous precedent that you think should be in place because of what occurred at a previous race but now at another race track somehow changes. But a real precedent, underpinned by written explanation for all to see.
I get that, I'm with you on that. Its just that if Lewis doesn't consider this to be an issue, why should the stewards. It's already a very slim chance of anything happening.

nimoraca wrote:
18 Nov 2021, 19:25
214270 wrote:
18 Nov 2021, 19:18
nimoraca wrote:

I get that, I'm with you on that. Its just that if Lewis doesn't consider this to be an issue, why should the stewards. It's already a very slim chance of anything happening.
I think it’s because HAM is behind in the points and Merc are trying to protect against any on-track funny business if they’re racing each other again.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.