Verstappen has never won a championship (29-Nov-2021), possibly soon outdated.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Wouter

Re: Verstappen has never won a championship (29-Nov-2021), possibly soon outdated.

El Scorchio wrote:
30 Nov 2021, 10:49
I'm not even sure why this was split into it's own thread rather than flat out deleted. it's only going to end in a huge argument and the thread being locked, regardless of how the title battle plays out.
Totally agree with all of that !
I really wunder why this thread was opened with this strange name.
Just delete the whole thread.
The Power of Dreams!

Just_a_fan

Re: 2021 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Jeddah, Dec 03 - 05

jjn9128 wrote:
30 Nov 2021, 10:34
Just_a_fan wrote:
29 Nov 2021, 12:54
That'll be it then - two titles for Chadwick only gives her 30 super licence points and 40 are required.
Not even, they only awarded super license points this season, so she has 15.
Not making it easy for the girls, are they? :shock:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan

Re: Verstappen has never won a championship (29-Nov-2021), possibly soon outdated.

Wouter wrote:
30 Nov 2021, 11:08
El Scorchio wrote:
30 Nov 2021, 10:49
I'm not even sure why this was split into it's own thread rather than flat out deleted. it's only going to end in a huge argument and the thread being locked, regardless of how the title battle plays out.
Totally agree with all of that !
I really wunder why this thread was opened with this strange name.
Just delete the whole thread.
The name isn't helpful. It would be better to name it something like "driver progression to F1" and then we could talk about previous, current and possible future drivers and how they got / might get in to F1.

It's quite interesting to look at the current drivers and see that some have a junior history that wasn't exactly a cupboard of trophies, where others had more silverware than car spares! Look at Perez and Bottas, for example, and Bottas appears to have had a better run through the junior formulae. Look at Sainz and you see a fairly sparse junior career too. Leclerc, on the other hand had a fairly short junior career but did pretty well with 2 titles in 4 years.

Max's pre-F1 career is almost exclusively in karts where he was very successful. His jump to F1 being via a single season in F3 where he took most wins in the season but had too many DNF. Max's F1 career has certainly been successful so far - much more so than those drivers mentioned above - and if he doesn't win the title this year (and I think he will win it) then he'll certainly be doing so in the coming years.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

jjn9128

Re: 2021 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Jeddah, Dec 03 - 05

Just_a_fan wrote:
30 Nov 2021, 11:13
jjn9128 wrote:
30 Nov 2021, 10:34
Just_a_fan wrote:
29 Nov 2021, 12:54
That'll be it then - two titles for Chadwick only gives her 30 super licence points and 40 are required.
Not even, they only awarded super license points this season, so she has 15.
Not making it easy for the girls, are they? :shock:
IMO good, they should prove to be competent against the boys they'd be racing against in F1. I get the idea of W-series, as a short term means of encouraging women into motorsport, but the title is rather devalued by the level of competition - only Chadwick, Powell, Visser (though she had a shocker last year) and now Pulling really have any chance of competing outside the series. And only Pulling is at an age where F1 is a realistic possibility. I half expect Chadwick to forgo the superlicense points and just keep going back to W-series.

But this is off topic.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

hollus

OK gentlemen. Apparently (some of) the same people making the posts at the beginning of this thread got annoyed that it was split from the race thread. I though was making a service to everyone. Apparently not so. So, since those very first/persistent posters do not with this thread to go further, I'll leave it here. Thread locked. I won't apologize for doing a mod's job, tough.
Note: more than one person complained about the title I gave to this split thread. Please read it again, and read it carefully. The starting post that gave rise to the split says:
So this race is the first chance for Max to become World Champion. It was only today I realised that if he wins, he becomes part of the group of champions in a car. As it stands, Verstappen, Latifi and Mazepin are the only drivers on the grid never to win a championship in a car. Max surely doesn't belong in that group

I saw that as a nice trivia and possible praise for Max.
My title was meant to be literal, really copying that line of facts. And to highlight the fact that in 3 weeks this is just as likely to be still true as to be outdated.
That such a title is deemed "unfortunate" and "controversial", leaves me very puzzled. Again, I won't apologize, I had the best intention in mind of being factual and opening a debate on fast progression through the ranks.
Rivals, not enemies.