2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Dec 10 - 12

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Ryar

Re: 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Dec 10 - 12

Rodak wrote:
18 Dec 2021, 05:59
Honestly, I think the best thing to do is close this. It's way old and repetitive with nothing new posted. Let it die. Please.
Agreed.
Hakuna Matata!

dilysmoore

2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Dec 10 - 12

Hi everyone,

Listening to Hamilton's team radio, and the commentators, it was mentioned by bono for Lewis to look for the boards to tell him whether a standing or rolling start was required, due to radio restrictions.

Anyone have any idea why this was?

hollus

When was that?
Rivals, not enemies.

MtthsMlw

I don't think there was a moment in this race where this was even a question.
Besides that nowadays there are no restrictions, only on the formation lap team to driver comms are forbidden unless they are safety related.

pantherxxx

They should have let all lapped cars to overtake at the end of the 56. lap, when the track was already clear. Then safety car out at the 57. lap and 58. lap is racing. The outcome would have been Verstappen winning anyways.

dans79

pantherxxx wrote:
03 Jan 2022, 18:58
They should have let all lapped cars to overtake at the end of the 56. lap, when the track was already clear. Then safety car out at the 57. lap and 58. lap is racing. The outcome would have been Verstappen winning anyways.

https://i.imgur.com/81Ws23D.jpg
Generally speaking they don't consider the track clear until marshals are at least behind some concrete/catch fencing. As your picture shows marshals are right behind the armco, and also in the firing line for any potential accident, as the cement dust shows.
197 104 103 7

Juzh

dans79 wrote:
03 Jan 2022, 19:06
pantherxxx wrote:

Generally speaking they don't consider the track clear until marshals are at least behind some concrete/catch fencing. As your picture shows marshals are right behind the armco, and also in the firing line for any potential accident, as the cement dust shows.
At this point track clear signal has not yet been given and SC is clearly still out, so where's the problem?

richardn

One thing I haven't seen discussed is would it have been dangerous to restart with the lapped cars between HAM and VER? Given the situation would Hamilton have left everybody slow until bolting at the last possible moment? Considering the carnage caused the last time that was done and the presence of lapped drivers who just want to get out the way but need to coordinate sudden acceleration then moving off to one side and slowing down just after the line very carefully - I suspect it probably would have been dangerous and I say that as Hamilton/Merc fan.

dans79

Juzh wrote:
04 Jan 2022, 11:17
dans79 wrote:
pantherxxx wrote:

At this point track clear signal has not yet been given and SC is clearly still out, so where's the problem?
I was responding to the user I quoted argument that the lap cars should have been left buy as soon as the Williams was cleared!
197 104 103 7

El Scorchio

richardn wrote:
04 Jan 2022, 11:57
One thing I haven't seen discussed is would it have been dangerous to restart with the lapped cars between HAM and VER? Given the situation would Hamilton have left everybody slow until bolting at the last possible moment? Considering the carnage caused the last time that was done and the presence of lapped drivers who just want to get out the way but need to coordinate sudden acceleration then moving off to one side and slowing down just after the line very carefully - I suspect it probably would have been dangerous and I say that as Hamilton/Merc fan.
No more dangerous at all than any other safety car restart. And don't forget the lapped drivers are racing each other. They aren't all just going to pull over to one side automatically as one to let Verstappen past and nor are they obligated to. They are all fighing their own race which to them is every bit as important as the race between Hamilton and Verstappen. They couldn't even co-ordinate that amongst them. If the first car (Norris?) pulls to one side then the driver following will just carry on and drive past him, taking his position. He'd be an idiot not to.

NL_Fer

With this fast corners in sector 1, Verstappen probably would have cleared them somewhere on the straight.

Hamilton would have had a real chance to keep his position.

El Scorchio

NL_Fer wrote:
05 Jan 2022, 13:27
With this fast corners in sector 1, Verstappen probably would have cleared them somewhere on the straight.

Hamilton would have had a real chance to keep his position.
Yup- I think he hangs on to win the race if those cars aren't unlapped, to be perfectly honest. Verstappen probably doesn't get behind him until the end of the long straight at the earliest. However, you'd have to wonder what sort of a move Verstappen might try to make in sector 3 if they were close to each other so a double DNF would probably have been strongly in play as well.

dans79

I think Lewis probably would have triggered the restart as soon as he could. Since you can't overtake till the starting line, his goal would have been to stretch out the train and make the time delta between Max and him as big as possible. If Max isn't right on Lewis at the turn 6/7 chicane Lewis would have won it.
197 104 103 7

Big Tea

dans79 wrote:
05 Jan 2022, 17:52
I think Lewis probably would have triggered the restart as soon as he could. Since you can't overtake till the starting line, his goal would have been to stretch out the train and make the time delta between Max and him as big as possible. If Max isn't right on Lewis at the turn 6/7 chicane Lewis would have won it.
He would probably also have in mind that Max may push too hard on cold tyres to pass a backmarker if he (ham) looked to be building a buffer. Even a backmarker can take a leader out if they lose grip on a corner.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Tizz

dans79 wrote:
pantherxxx wrote:

I find it hard to believe that they are supposed to be behind the at least 3m high fence behind them. They will never have the chance to do their job there. Besides that, the critical place is where the green protection is installed in front of the armco.