2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Dec 10 - 12

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
chrisc90

Re: 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Dec 10 - 12

ringo wrote:
26 Feb 2022, 21:06
Thread must remain open till april. the report is coming March 18. We will need another 50 pages to discuss that.
As for Max, I agree he will not throw Masi under the bus. Masi could retaliate if Horner or Max double cross him after what he did for them.

Spa free points, Brasil, Saudia Arabia red flag, brake testing, Abu Dhabi sc. Big Big examples of Masi's decisions helping them throughout the season.

And to hear the anti mercedes conspiracies is quite funny. But i guess people see what they want to see. :D
What about Hamiltons corner cutting?
What about Jeddah where merc didnt follow the rule of max 10 car lengths behind the safety car in order to double stack?
What about early race where Hamilton ended up in the gravel, then managed to get out, pit, end up a lap behind then un-lap himself under red flag to get points?

Its amazing the amount of times Merc fans forget how many decisions went in their favour last season, and many other previous ones

hollus

Some decisions went in (pick-your-team)'s favor, some against, during the year. Is that all that difficult to accept?
Back to the last race of the season, please.
Rivals, not enemies.

AeroDynamic

ringo wrote:
Thread must remain open till april. the report is coming March 18.
Is this confirmed? The FIA report into Abu Dhabi is being made public?

NathanOlder

chrisc90 wrote:
26 Feb 2022, 21:23
ringo wrote:
Thread must remain open till april. the report is coming March 18. We will need another 50 pages to discuss that.
As for Max, I agree he will not throw Masi under the bus. Masi could retaliate if Horner or Max double cross him after what he did for them.

Spa free points, Brasil, Saudia Arabia red flag, brake testing, Abu Dhabi sc. Big Big examples of Masi's decisions helping them throughout the season.

And to hear the anti mercedes conspiracies is quite funny. But i guess people see what they want to see. :D
What about Jeddah where merc didnt follow the rule of max 10 car lengths behind the safety car in order to double stack?
What about early race where Hamilton ended up in the gravel, then managed to get out, pit, end up a lap behind then un-lap himself under red flag to get points?

Its amazing the amount of times Merc fans forget how many decisions went in their favour last season, and many other previous ones
To answer those questions , it is quite simple ,

Part 1, Hamilton's corner cutting was caused by the car behind diveboming.

Here you can see the RedBull is around 2.5 car lengths behind, you have the length of the Mercedes, then the gap (which is easily big enough for anouther car) so its a good 2.5 car lengths which is around 15m. As last years cars were approaching 6m long. So coming from around 15m back is a big lunge.

When coming from this far back, you are NOT entitled to take what line you want, you do not own the corner. You need to be almost level when entering the braking zone, not 15m back.

Here you can see Max is now level at the apex but is carrying too much speed to make sure he leaves space for the car on the outside , because he doesn't own the corner coming from so far back. at this point the move is still fine, as he has still given Hamilton a cars width.

Now this is where it goes wrong for Max, He has now not given Lewis enough room and there is still an overlap between the 2 cars. Lewis is now forced to leave the circuit as a result of a divebomb where the car attacking didnt leave the required space when coming from so far back.

Next you can even see Max barely kept his own car on the track, let alone leave enough room for the car he divebombed.

So this is the reason Lewis wasn't penalised and the stewards did not help either driver here, they just did their job. If you or anyone feels differently, please take time to explain.

Part 2

The 10 car length rule is only on the formation lap, which this was not. No argument here.

Part 3

The 'early race' as you put it, was Imola. The race was Red Flagged for a huge crash, there was no other possible outcome. This was nothing the stewards or Masi did to help Lewis. Lewis just got lucky that there was a red flag (or even a safety car would have had the same effect) after he lost all that time at Tosa. So again no argument here.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

AeroDynamic

its amazing how there are people who compare decisions going one way or the other that were within the rules and regulations... with a decision that wasn't within the rules and regulations as being just another 'not in your favour' sort of thing. They are completely different categories of issues. One is about a decision by the rules, and one is about a decision not by the rules.

Tvetovnato

NathanOlder wrote:
27 Feb 2022, 11:48
chrisc90 wrote:
ringo wrote:

Here you can see the RedBull is around 2.5 car lengths behind, you have the length of the Mercedes, then the gap (which is easily big enough for anouther car) so its a good 2.5 car lengths which is around 15m. As last years cars were approaching 6m long. So coming from around 15m back is a big lunge.

https://i.imgur.com/gsz62Tk.jpg

When coming from this far back, you are NOT entitled to take what line you want, you do not own the corner. You need to be almost level when entering the braking zone, not 15m back.

Here you can see Max is now level at the apex but is carrying too much speed to make sure he leaves space for the car on the outside , because he doesn't own the corner coming from so far back. at this point the move is still fine, as he has still given Hamilton a cars width.

https://i.imgur.com/PVJGijQ.jpg

Now this is where it goes wrong for Max, He has now not given Lewis enough room and there is still an overlap between the 2 cars. Lewis is now forced to leave the circuit as a result of a divebomb where the car attacking didnt leave the required space when coming from so far back.

https://i.imgur.com/1DfxM7n.jpg

Next you can even see Max barely kept his own car on the track, let alone leave enough room for the car he divebombed.

https://i.imgur.com/mwpH4Nh.jpg

So this is the reason Lewis wasn't penalised and the stewards did not help either driver here, they just did their job. If you or anyone feels differently, please take time to explain.

Part 2

The 10 car length rule is only on the formation lap, which this was not. No argument here.

Part 3

The 'early race' as you put it, was Imola. The race was Red Flagged for a huge crash, there was no other possible outcome. This was nothing the stewards or Masi did to help Lewis. Lewis just got lucky that there was a red flag (or even a safety car would have had the same effect) after he lost all that time at Tosa. So again no argument here.
Part 1 is a really good breakdown of how racing rules work, and I wish F1 or the FIA would take more time to explain this for the generic fanbase, since this is exactly how it should be. Good job.

Just_a_fan

Tvetovnato wrote:
27 Feb 2022, 13:11
NathanOlder wrote:

Part 1 is a really good breakdown of how racing rules work, and I wish F1 or the FIA would take more time to explain this for the generic fanbase, since this is exactly how it should be. Good job.
Sadly, the FIA caved in to RedBull's constant "let them race" whenever Max did these things over previous years. Between them, they have legitimised the sort of driving standards exhibited in that assessment. We now have others doing the same because itsthe only way to compete when the rules are intentionally relaxed in this fashion.

Thankfully, in AD, the stewards saw through it and had clarity of thought when they said that Lewis didn't need to give the place back.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

CMSMJ1

A fair bit of inappropriate language and discussions has been deleted.

Have a care with your language and be more on topic please

IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

PlatinumZealot

If Max watched this video he would not be defending Masi at all. Masi's streak of mistakes over the years reeks of incompetence and lack of consistency.

PS watch 2012... Then singapore 2015 then 2019 to 2021. The frequency of dangerous incidents shot up remarkably after Masi took over.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Dr. Acula

PlatinumZealot wrote:
01 Mar 2022, 18:43
If Max watched this video he would not be defending Masi at all. Masi's streak of mistakes over the years reeks of incompetence and lack of consistency.

https://youtu.be/qP9Go3e7Q3E

PS watch 2012... Then singapore 2015 then 2019 to 2021. The frequency of dangerous incidents shot up remarkably after Masi took over.
Masi took over in 2019...In the video, he counted 0 dangerous incidents for 2019 and 2 for 2020. But a Marshal running over the track before the SC is deployed is hardly Masis mistake. Or is it your mistake if the dauther/son of your neighbor got hit by a car when you're in your flat/house?
The same with the "dangerous case" in Saudi Arabia 2021. The race director can't see the damage on the barriers for himself, he has to trust the people who are at the problem zone and react accordingly to the information they give him via radio.

Also the relative values for "Laped cars passed" and ""Lapped Cars Pass" Not Fully enacted" are off. LCP should be 27% and LCPnfe 1% if the values are applied as he mentiones it.
Although in my opinion it would be better to only take the 38 cases into account where there actually were lapped cars on the track during a safety car.

Masi for sure wasn't great. But Whiting also made a lot of questionable decisions over the years. I have my doubts that the "Council" will do significantly better in the future.

dans79

Dr. Acula wrote:
02 Mar 2022, 01:53

Masi took over in 2019...In the video, he counted 0 dangerous incidents for 2019 and 2 for 2020.

That video doesn't cover any of the let them race bs that he just swept under the rug!
197 104 103 7

GrizzleBoy

Tvetovnato wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:

Part 2

Part 3

Indeed.

I don't understand how in March 2022, you can still have people making such strong arguments about this particular lap 1 incident and being so confident that Lewis as favoured by the stewards.

Rather than the case being that they just couldn't penalise Lewis for leaving the track during an overtaking attempt when his only other option was to park his car and wait for Max to finally turn after his divebomb that he barely kept on track or keep going and crash while Max was parked sideways across the racing line.

IMHO, 2021 has exposed Max for actually having quite poor racing ability.

He's fine when his car is fast enough to zoom past (and even then he'll send you over the kerbs), but when he has to fight in a car that isn't clearly faster, he can barely keep the thing on the road.

I think him winning the title in the fashion that he did in terms of where it will be forever linked with one of the most prolific names ever in the sport being "robbed" of a record setting wdc, might not have such a sting if he had been able to conduct himself better when racing for it.

But when you watch these 2021 races back in history, when all the fanaticism has died down and the orange shirts and F1 polls are not being bombed by an online army, what are you going to see?

Max barging his rival off the road at almost every opportunity in the early races.

Coming a cropper at Silverstone when his rival finally decided to actually put up a fight. (walking away perfectly fine yet crying about being "hospitalised").

Literally hitting Lewis in the head with his car in Monza.

The Maldonado level driving in Saudi, earning a penalty almost every single time he met with Lewis on track, including for telemetry proven brake checking.

The laughable defense in Brazil.

And finally being steamrolled in the final race, where his only chance of victory was if an FIA official quite literally fiddled the race to make it so had could have a chance. Resulting in that official losing their job and an internal FIA investigation.

And to top it off, almost nothing you can point to that shows any great actual racing in 2021. What battles did he have? Does anyone remember off the top of their head any particularly spectacular things he did in 2021?

The entire F1 community is praising Perez's racing skills. Who is even talking about Maxs racing skills unless it's to complain about the lack of them? Even Martin Brundle who seems to call everything Max does "genius" sounded jaded after the Saudi grand prix and said Max needed to "think about his driving standards".

Max has the WDC and he will never show that he cares externally, but unless he's not actually human, he'll always have this hanging over his head unless and until he makes his mark in a more satisfying way for himself and the rest of the F1 fanship.

NathanOlder

GrizzleBoy wrote:
02 Mar 2022, 11:42
Tvetovnato wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:

Part 2

Part 3

Indeed.

I don't understand how in March 2022, you can still have people making such strong arguments about this particular lap 1 incident and being so confident that Lewis as favoured by the stewards.

Rather than the case being that they just couldn't penalise Lewis for leaving the track during an overtaking attempt when his only other option was to park his car and wait for Max to finally turn after his divebomb that he barely kept on track or keep going and crash while Max was parked sideways across the racing line.

IMHO, 2021 has exposed Max for actually having quite poor racing ability.

He's fine when his car is fast enough to zoom past (and even then he'll send you over the kerbs), but when he has to fight in a car that isn't clearly faster, he can barely keep the thing on the road.

I think him winning the title in the fashion that he did in terms of where it will be forever linked with one of the most prolific names ever in the sport being "robbed" of a record setting wdc, might not have such a sting if he had been able to conduct himself better when racing for it.

But when you watch these 2021 races back in history, when all the fanaticism has died down and the orange shirts and F1 polls are not being bombed by an online army, what are you going to see?

Max barging his rival off the road at almost every opportunity in the early races.

Coming a cropper at Silverstone when his rival finally decided to actually put up a fight. (walking away perfectly fine yet crying about being "hospitalised").

Literally hitting Lewis in the head with his car in Monza.

The Maldonado level driving in Saudi, earning a penalty almost every single time he met with Lewis on track, including for telemetry proven brake checking.

The laughable defense in Brazil.

And finally being steamrolled in the final race, where his only chance of victory was if an FIA official quite literally fiddled the race to make it so had could have a chance. Resulting in that official losing their job and an internal FIA investigation.

And to top it off, almost nothing you can point to that shows any great actual racing in 2021. What battles did he have? Does anyone remember off the top of their head any particularly spectacular things he did in 2021?

The entire F1 community is praising Perez's racing skills. Who is even talking about Maxs racing skills unless it's to complain about the lack of them? Even Martin Brundle who seems to call everything Max does "genius" sounded jaded after the Saudi grand prix and said Max needed to "think about his driving standards".

Max has the WDC and he will never show that he cares externally, but unless he's not actually human, he'll always have this hanging over his head unless and until he makes his mark in a more satisfying way for himself and the rest of the F1 fanship.
Very well said. That was a satisfying read. I have screen shot your post so I can read it back in future, as I'm sure it will be deleted by the mods as it will upset the Max fans.

**Mod Edit - PM shared - don't be so juvenile please.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

xaero

But but I am a RedBull team fan :lol: :lol:
We need a miracle. We need only one racing lap.

AMG.Tzan

Why is this topic still open?? It's March already...
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis