Red Bull RB18 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
hugobos

Re: Red Bull RB18 Speculation Thread

cooken wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 19:20
[quote=dren post_id=<a href="tel:1034745">1034745</a> time=<a href="tel:1645463939">1645463939</a> user_id=9550]
Notable design features on the RB18:

Car has a front wing
Car has a rear wing
Car appears to have 4 wheels and tires
Car has side pods shaped in such a manner that they ingest air

This is the only reasonable post made in here recently. A healthy dose of perspective.
[/quote]
Thank you both, I laughed out loud for some time …. :lol:
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced

PlatinumZealot wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 18:10

You make an interesting argument. When you say all cars approved? Please be specific. Crash structures, the engine? Every single part? And ask yourself why have scrutineering then?

Obviously this ideal approval that you speak does not exist. Parts don't have to be approved for a team to use them. It is in their best interest to follow the rules, of course, because they will be penalized, but teams have brought parts to races that were caught by scrutineering or by other teams. Cars have thousands of parts. Look at Ferrari's ill fated fuel system. That was a tip from another team to the FIA. Sauber brought wings whose surface were to small in curvature, caught in scrutineering. Racing Point had a hole in the up-right for aerodynamic purposes that had to be covered up. etc. etc. So many recent examples.

And another thing too, cars aero don't have to be legal for testing reasons. We may see quite a number of protests during the testing period and especially in the first race.
I think this is what is being referred too https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/braw ... t/8235966/

Specifically
FIA head of single-seater matters Nikolas Tombazis stressed that he and his engineers are working closely with the teams and in effect addressing any possible controversies before the new cars reach their first race weekend.

"Obviously some cars have been launched," said Tombazis. "And we are also undergoing a process with the teams in doing individual sessions with them to track their legalities so that we can try to avoid any nasty surprises in the first race.

"And that is proceeding as a process as well. We have seen a few surprises here and there, some areas where cars are a bit more different between them than what we expected, and where engineers have applied their innovative skills to come up with a solution.

"So I think you will see a lot more differentiation than maybe you were expecting to start with. I wouldn't say there's been any massive alarm bells so far.

"It's been relatively mild, still within what we think is a completely fair interpretation of the rules. We haven't seen anything the equivalent of a double diffuser, or anything like that."
That to me implies the FIA has seen the cars and knows much more than we know. BTW I did not provide the downvote.

PlatinumZealot

Obviously some cars have been launched," said Tombazis. "And we are also undergoing a process with the teams in doing individual sessions with them to track their legalities so that we can try to avoid any nasty surprises in the first race."
This proves my point exactly.

My original post.
They really have gone too far with that floor interpretation have they? Fashioning a barge board and a massive one at that might attract the attention of Ross Brawn and his scissors...
Some people are too trigger happy and not reading posts properly. Just wasting their energy.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Roostfactor

PlatinumZealot wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 18:10
PlatinumZealot wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 06:09
They really have gone too far with that floor interpretation have they? Fashioning a barge board and a massive one at that might attract the attention if Ross Brawn and his scissors...
Somebody down-voted me, and this was there explanation

All cars have been approved by FIA. You know this, was posted in multiple threads.
You make an interesting argument. When you say all cars approved? Please be specific. Crash structures, the engine? Every single part? And ask yourself why have scrutineering then?

Obviously this ideal approval that you speak does not exist. Parts don't have to be approved for a team to use them. It is in their best interest to follow the rules, of course, because they will be penalized, but teams have brought parts to races that were caught by scrutineering or by other teams. Cars have thousands of parts. Look at Ferrari's ill fated fuel system. That was a tip from another team to the FIA. Sauber brought wings whose surface were to small in curvature, caught in scrutineering. Racing Point had a hole in the up-right for aerodynamic purposes that had to be covered up. etc. etc. So many recent examples.

And another thing too, cars aero don't have to be legal for testing reasons. We may see quite a number of protests during the testing period and especially in the first race.
I didn't down vote you.

AeroDynamic

hopefully this means we will see the RB18 today

_cerber1

AeroDynamic wrote:
22 Feb 2022, 12:56

Where? Ferrari and Alpine are in Barcelona today.

AeroDynamic

_cerber1 wrote:
22 Feb 2022, 13:12
AeroDynamic wrote:

oh okay. I didn't know. Thanks. :) Maybe there is an outside chance they took photos at Silverstone like they did the drivers, and will share some?

Just_a_fan

AeroDynamic wrote:

Yikes, that's got a Soviet-style "heroes of the motherland" feel to the artwork. :lol:

Nice that they've got Horner looking grumpy. 8)
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

DChemTech

AeroDynamic wrote:
22 Feb 2022, 13:13
_cerber1 wrote:
22 Feb 2022, 13:12
AeroDynamic wrote:

oh okay. I didn't know. Thanks. :) Maybe there is an outside chance they took photos at Silverstone like they did the drivers, and will share some?
Maybe they had shot footage during the shakedown, but it took them some time to overlay the FIA showcar on top of the real footage. :mrgreen:

Pat Pending

Just_a_fan wrote:
22 Feb 2022, 13:24
AeroDynamic wrote:

Yikes, that's got a Soviet-style "heroes of the motherland" feel to the artwork. :lol:

Oh, I don't know, my first thought was the Enid Blyton 'Famous Five' stories. 'Five Go Motor Racing' maybe...? :D

DiogoBrand

I still can't figure what sorf ot witchcraft is that.

levidrugi

I believe the top front wishbone has been bent backwards and down to connect to the chassis further back.
It might provide a way to nurture airflow to the right places.

Just_a_fan

Pat Pending wrote:
22 Feb 2022, 16:10
Just_a_fan wrote:
22 Feb 2022, 13:24
AeroDynamic wrote:

Oh, I don't know, my first thought was the Enid Blyton 'Famous Five' stories. 'Five Go Motor Racing' maybe...? :D
Oh, yes! Good shout. =D>
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

k.ko100v

AeroDynamic wrote:

Pull rod confirmed?

organic

k.ko100v wrote:
22 Feb 2022, 18:06
AeroDynamic wrote: