2022 Scuderia AlphaTauri F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Wouter

Re: 2022 Scuderia AlphaTauri F1 Team

Final day of 2022 F1 pre-season Testing in Barcelona:

Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, Barcelona – Length 4.675 km
AT03 –02 / Driver: AM – Pierre Gasly // PM – Yuki Tsunoda
Total across three days: 308 laps (1,439.9 km)

Jody Egginton (Technical Director)

“Following two solid days of testing here in Barcelona today has been a bit more challenging for us. The day started well, with our early runs being used to gather aero data and conduct various other background test items. Unfortunately, Pierre went off during an early baseline run, damaging the car, and despite the best efforts of the team we simply ran out of time to get it turned around and back out for Yuki to drive in the afternoon session, meaning our day ended early. Looking at the test as a whole, we have covered some good mileage during days one and two, completing a large number of test items and gathering a massive amount of data to aid our learning and development of the AT03. So, looking at the big picture although we are satisfied with our progress it’s hard to draw too many conclusions about our competitiveness due to the diverse range of programmes being run across teams, but we have plenty of data to work with ahead of the next test in Bahrain, which I am confident will allow us to move our package forward. We now head to Bahrain with the target being to complete the winter test plan, continuing to understand and develop our package ahead of the first race.”

Franz Tost (Team Principal)

“The first test here in Barcelona with the AT03 has been really positive. I think that our engineers have developed a good car, that seems to be both fast and reliable. We have managed to complete many laps with both Yuki and Pierre, and I think that we have a really strong foundation for the year. ............................

Pierre Gasly ..............................

Yuki Tsumoda .............................
https://scuderia.alphatauri.com/en/2022 ... 2Test_day3
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

Jump inside the cockpit with Pierre Gasly for the first-ever lap of the AT03 and see firsthand the footwork finesse of an F1 driver!

Before we went to pre-season testing in Barcelona, our brand new Formula 1 car hit the track for the first time down the road from our factory in Misano, where we thought we'd give a different view of its first lap of the year by introducing some footcam footage
The Power of Dreams!

PlatinumZealot

I'm actually surprised at the throttle travel! Seems the engines are very controllable.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Wouter wrote:
01 Mar 2022, 18:15
Jump inside the cockpit with Pierre Gasly for the first-ever lap of the AT03 and see firsthand the footwork finesse of an F1 driver!

Before we went to pre-season testing in Barcelona, our brand new Formula 1 car hit the track for the first time down the road from our factory in Misano, where we thought we'd give a different view of its first lap of the year by introducing some footcam footage
It's just smooth application of throttle and then a lot of pressure on a brake pedal that moves very little. You'd see the same in any racing car across any formula / series.

If someone wants pedal action, go watch this: :wtf: =D>
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

PlatinumZealot wrote:
01 Mar 2022, 18:25
I'm actually surprised at the throttle travel! Seems the engines are very controllable.
Long travel throttle pedal gives a bit of traction control effect because you get more control of the revs.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Wouter

12 March 2022

Drivers and Team’s reactions at the end of the 2022 Bahrain F1 Test, Day 3.
Bahrain International Circuit, Bahrain – Length 5.412 km
Total across three days: 371 laps (2,007.852km)

Pierre Gasly #10
Time: 1:34.865
91 laps – 492.492 km
Pos. 12th

“It’s good to be back to the nice weather here in Bahrain. We’ve had a pretty smooth test from our side, we completed all the program that we had planned for the three days here. We had a lot of question marks coming here and we’ve already managed to get some answers to these. I think we still need to sit down for a few days and review all the data we’ve collected, to try and put the puzzle together, so we can get the best possible car for next weekend. Obviously, it’s a new car so there are lots of things to learn, I would say there are still areas that we need to improve for the season but that’s part of the game when you have such a big change in F1. We have a rough idea of where we might be in the midfield, but we still don’t know where we’ll be until next week. It was great having the battle out there with Lewis today, we overtook each other a few times. Following definitely felt like an improvement to the previous car so that’s a big positive for the upcoming season, racing should be quite fun this year.”

Yuki Tsunoda #22
Time: 1:33.002
57 laps – 308.484 km
Pos. 6th

“We’ve made good progress as a team this week, I’m happy with how this test has gone and we’ve gathered a lot of important data. However, I’m not happy with how my lap went today on the C5 tyre, I think there was lots more potential there but unfortunately, I just couldn’t put it together. There are still lots of things to improve myself, and the car, but I think overall it’s been a good few days of testing. I haven’t driven too much around other cars, but from what I’ve felt so far I think the dirty air is reduced a lot compared to last year, so it’s already easier to follow and I’ve enjoyed it. I’ve got a good level of confidence heading into the first race next week. It’s a bit different to last year, as I’ve got more experience, and have focussed more on developing the car with the team. We don’t know exactly what position we’re in at the moment, but we’ve got a couple of days to work before Bahrain. We’ve got a good team and we’ll keep focussed ahead of the first race.”

“It’s been a very productive final day of testing, which has allowed a good number of test items to be covered and our understanding of the AT03 has moved a big step forward, with some interesting set up directions being identified. Pierre completed a program of long runs in the morning, where we gathered some important tyre data, and allowed the engineers to get a good read of the compounds. Yuki then took over for the afternoon and focussed on a range of mechanical and tyre related set-up items, which again yielded some useful data. Overall, we are satisfied with our testing here in Bahrain. We now have to process and analyse the huge amount of data we have collected to be as prepared as possible for the first race of the season.”

“The test period is over now and in one week we will have the first race. We’ve had two quite successful tests, first in Barcelona and now this week here in Bahrain. We have completed 371 laps (2,007.852km) across all three days. The most important aspect is that we’ve collected lots of data, which is crucial for further development steps, as we need to find out the correlation between the race track, CFD and wind tunnel. There’s still some work to do from the set-up side, but the engineers have now got quite a good understanding of which direction to take. We have a strong package, the car is reliable, we have two very good drivers and the team has made a big step forward, therefore I expect a successful season.
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

BlueCheetah66
BlueCheetah66

Does anyone know specifically why Gasly get a fastest first sector many times but then drops away a lot in pace. Is it just down to him going very fast but to the point where the tyres go out of the window. I feel like I've seen the same thing so many times

Big Tea

BlueCheetah66 wrote:
19 Mar 2022, 17:44
Does anyone know specifically why Gasly get a fastest first sector many times but then drops away a lot in pace. Is it just down to him going very fast but to the point where the tyres go out of the window. I feel like I've seen the same thing so many times
Possibly his approach from the previous sector. Good when it counts for the following lap, not when its for the lap he is on
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

Drivers and Team’s quotes after the race

https://scuderia.alphatauri.com/en/2022 ... ainResults

https://nl.motorsport.com/f1/news/pierr ... content=nl

Early F1 grid penalty threatens Gasly after Bahrain GP fire

Pierre Gasly may have taken his first step towards an early grid penalty at the Bahrain Grand Prix. It is suspected that the battery gave up on Sunday, turning the back of the AlphaTauri AT03 into a “barbecue”.

AlphaTauri investigates extent of damage after fire

Technical Director Jody Egginton confirmed Gasly's lecture that the problem arose suddenly. “It was an instant failure, we lost all power electrically. Currently it seems related to the battery, but we don't know exactly. We're still investigating that," said Egginton, who admitted that engine components may need to be swapped out. “We have to find the problem first, but one of the scenarios is that we have to replace an engine element. One moment the car was running, the next the engine turned itself off. We immediately lost power, the car came to a stop and a fire started. The source of this may be that the hot parts were not cooled properly. We have to look at it, there is a lot of damage to the surface.”

According to Egginton, the team faces a big job to patch up the AT03. While the battery is considered the likely cause, other engine components may have been damaged by the flames. “We have yet to review it, but at least the rear suspension and wiring will be new, the bodywork was scorched. We are going to assess the battery and the combustion engine, because a lot of fire extinguisher has gone over the car. In the worst case it is an engine element and a chassis, but we can't say anything about that yet. Anything attached to the power unit or gearbox got hot because it burned there. Everything was sprayed with fire extinguisher, so we may be able to replace these parts and send them back to the factory for a full inspection.”
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

What is going on?
Gasly yesterday:

Yuki today:

The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

📻 "Yuki, that's the end. You can jump out" says his engineer. "

AlphaTauri struggles with reliability concerns before even getting to the grid 🙁

2022 Saudi Arabian GP: Race

Drivers and Team’s quotes after the race

Pierre Gasly (AT03-01, Car 10)
Yuki Tsunoda (AT03-02, Car 22)
Race: DNS

“It’s been a really frustrating weekend for me with reliability issues. Firstly, we missed Qualifying and then today I believe we had a driveline issue on the way to the grid. I think the track was suiting our car quite well, compared to Bahrain, so I think the pace today could’ve been quite good for us, especially if you see how Pierre has performed, getting through to Q3 and then his performance in the race. It’s such a shame, I think it’s going to be very tight in the midfield battle, so getting points at every round counts and we’ve missed out today. These things happen though and hopefully we’ll come back strong in Australia.”

“There is not much to say about Yuki’s race as it never got started due to a driveline issue, so in this respect, beyond the frustration we all feel right now, we have a lot of analysis to conduct to ensure that this issue is understood and addressed for the next race. Pierre’s race was also not straight forward, with the timing of the safety car costing us track position, but fortunately a subsequent VSC provided an opportunity to get back on terms, allowing us to finish in eight place. In addition to these challenges, Pierre has also reported not feeling well in the last laps of the race, which has impacted his performance, but he dug deep and kept the Haas behind in difficult circumstances, so we are thankful for that. We leave here with mixed emotions; on the one hand we have scored points, but on the other hand there is for sure more to extract from the package. If we can execute a clean weekend, especially with Yuki, there are more points to be scored per race, therefore we will be working hard to deliver a better team performance in Australia.”

It was a difficult race for us, it’s always disappointing when a car isn’t able to make it to the starting grid. We had a problem on Yuki’s car with the oil pressure, therefore we had to stop. We now have to go away and investigate what the reason for this was.
https://scuderia.alphatauri.com/en/2022-saudi-gp-race/
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

Wouter wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 14:51
📻 "Yuki, that's the end. You can jump out" says his engineer. "

AlphaTauri struggles with reliability concerns before even getting to the grid 🙁

Tsunoda had an absolutely dramatic weekend in Jeddah. He got through the free practice sessions relatively unscathed, but an engine problem prevented him from participating in qualifying. On Sunday, the Japanese drove to the starting grid in good spirits, when he again had a motor problem and immediately became a knight on foot.
"The problem in qualifying was not terminal, we were able to correct it relatively easily," technical director
Jody Egginton told Motorsport.com. “We had another engine problem with Yuki at the start of the race.
The engine is still under investigation and we need to know exactly what happened. We are still working on that,
but it was impossible to enter the race with that problem.
We're starting from scratch here again, but we think we know more about it now."
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

Nice article on The Race. https://the-race.com/formula-1/the-majo ... cited-for/

The major AlphaTauri upgrade Gasly’s ‘big time’ excited for

AlphaTauri will run its first major update of 2022 in this weekend’s Emilia Romagna Grand Prix, a development Pierre Gasly has big hopes for.

Red Bull’s sister team finds itself in the heart of the midfield battle after a middling start to the season fighting for the lower points positions.

Without a late MGU-K failure in the season opener in Bahrain, Gasly would have finished in the points in all three races – although a best grid position of ninth and best result of eighth indicates AlphaTauri does not have the peak performance it enjoyed in 2021.

Gasly says “it’s not like we’re dead slow” but admits AlphaTauri is lacking something compared to the top midfield teams.

Though its level has been consistent so far, it has trailed all of Alpine, Alfa Romeo, Haas and McLaren at different times across the three events.

“I don’t think we’re missing much but definitely need to come up with some developments if we want to keep up with the other guys,” Gasly says.

The first of those developments will arrive at Imola with a significant floor update, as well as revised front brake ducts.

And asked by The Race how encouraged he is by what the team has planned for Imola, Gasly says: “Yeah big time, personally I’m very excited to see what it brings.

“Obviously [because there’s] a new car, a new regulation, we know this season is all about development. The teams that manage to develop the cars faster than others will have a better season.

“It’s a big test for us as a team. Hopefully it brings the performance that we expect.”

The consensus is the AT03 has a solid platform after a lot of work done with the base specification, focusing mainly on mechanical set-up work, which has left the team with a good understanding of the car and its windtunnel and CFD correlation.
The development bet paying off with Ferrari’s 2022 F1 car
Read more

It has also introduced small aerodynamic updates and made modifications to the floor stiffness and profile based on development work that yielded some low-hanging fruit.

But technical director Jody Egginton says that while “we’ve pushed the go button on some updates based on what we’ve learned in winter testing and the first race”, other stuff has been “left on the sidelines because we said actually that’s not the way we want to go at the moment”.

“We’ve sort of delayed a little bit the first update to race four just to make sure we were doing the right things and we were comfortable we were going the right way because there’s an awful lot of learning over these last couple of months,” Egginton says.
The Power of Dreams!