2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
CjC
CjC

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

A.J.O wrote:
09 May 2022, 20:06
CjC wrote:
09 May 2022, 07:38
Seerix wrote:
08 May 2022, 23:45
Also this, no idea what happened
I saw he was under investigation during the race but saw no replay.
I was hoping the Stewards were going to salvage the race for Mclaren once they posted another time penalty to Alonso turns out Ricciardo got one too🤦🏼‍♂️

I think nearly everything that could have gone wrong did go wrong in Miami🤦🏼‍♂️
I'd really appreciate if some one can explain to me how the #3 car gets a point and a 5 sec penalty for this on lap 49 when a lap latter the #63 car does almost the exact same thing with the #44 car in T12
and then to top it off on lap 56 the #18 once again turns into the car on the inside and its just a racing incident.
For reference watch F1TV onboards of
RIC 1:30:00
RUS 1:31:36
MAG 1:41:00
I don’t subscribe to F1TV so I can’t see any of the onboards.
What I can say is Russell #63 gave the place back to Hamilton #44 so didn’t keep his advantage by cutting the track so would have avoided a penalty.
Did the others keep any advantage they gained?
Just a fan's point of view

A.J.O

CjC wrote:
09 May 2022, 20:49
A.J.O wrote:
09 May 2022, 20:06
CjC wrote:
09 May 2022, 07:38

I saw he was under investigation during the race but saw no replay.
I was hoping the Stewards were going to salvage the race for Mclaren once they posted another time penalty to Alonso turns out Ricciardo got one too🤦🏼‍♂️

I think nearly everything that could have gone wrong did go wrong in Miami🤦🏼‍♂️
I'd really appreciate if some one can explain to me how the #3 car gets a point and a 5 sec penalty for this on lap 49 when a lap latter the #63 car does almost the exact same thing with the #44 car in T12
and then to top it off on lap 56 the #18 once again turns into the car on the inside and its just a racing incident.
For reference watch F1TV onboards of
RIC 1:30:00
RUS 1:31:36
MAG 1:41:00
I don’t subscribe to F1TV so I can’t see any of the onboards.
What I can say is Russell #63 gave the place back to Hamilton #44 so didn’t keep his advantage by cutting the track so would have avoided a penalty.
Did the others keep any advantage they gained?
With all due respect, #63 never gave the place back. He did pretty much a spitting image of what #3 did. Went wide on T11, came back on where the run off pinches at T12 beside #44 then proceeded to Pull 1 sec+ over the next few sequences. I know the track limits is the white line but the #3 car only crossed by about 0.3m and the #63 went off by about 2.5m. It was a much more obvious offence.

The #18 and #20 incident is pretty irrelevant to the two previously mentioned offences but IMHO is a much more serious event. Especially when its not the first time this season this car has turned into a car on his inside.

Seerix

A.J.O wrote:
09 May 2022, 21:53
With all due respect, #63 never gave the place back. He did pretty much a spitting image of what #3 did. Went wide on T11, came back on where the run off pinches at T12 beside #44 then proceeded to Pull 1 sec+ over the next few sequences. I know the track limits is the white line but the #3 car only crossed by about 0.3m and the #63 went off by about 2.5m. It was a much more obvious offence.

The #18 and #20 incident is pretty irrelevant to the two previously mentioned offences but IMHO is a much more serious event. Especially when its not the first time this season this car has turned into a car on his inside.
With all due respect, RUS gave the place back at 1:37:00 and HAM lead almost whole 1 lap.
Sorry for offtopic.

edit: just to stay a bit on topic, I saw the incident and I'd say it's a bit on the edge, I guess RIC was out of track and kept the position, so I won't argue with the 5s

A.J.O

Seerix wrote:
09 May 2022, 22:52
A.J.O wrote:
09 May 2022, 21:53

With all due respect, RUS gave the place back at 1:37:00 and HAM lead almost whole 1 lap.
Sorry for offtopic.
I stand corrected. Thank you for the time stamp. It was even instigated by race control

djos

I’m really cheesed off with the new race directors this year, they suck! Stupid penalties for minor things, no meaningful penalties for serious things and waiting 30 laps too long to enable drs.

Say what you like about Massi’s handling of the closing race last year, but overall he was 10x better than these new clowns that have been parachuted in from other formulas! 😡
"In downforce we trust"

runningmanz

djos wrote:
09 May 2022, 23:51
I’m really cheesed off with the new race directors this year, they suck! Stupid penalties for minor things, no meaningful penalties for serious things and waiting 30 laps too long to enable drs.

Say what you like about Massi’s handling of the closing race last year, but overall he was 10x better than these new clowns that have been parachuted in from other formulas! 😡
Yeah I agree Massi was hard done by imo he did alot of good things, just made a mistake at the worst possible time unfortunately, didn't help that Lewis and Merc went full witchhunt on him either. Charlie made a number of blunders over his career but never got the flick. Prefer Massi over these trigger happy rule sticklers.

Balalu

McLaren made an Andretti deal? 🫡

Edit: I've been click baited. Nothing to see here apparently. Keep scrolling...
"I showed him [with my hands] and said: I have bigger balls!” - Mika Hakkinen

cliffgamerz

djos wrote:

What does Race directors have to do regarding issuing penalties, its not their fault as we have race stewards issuing them, Abu Dhabi was nothing to do with penalties and he wasn't sacked for that race alone (won't go into details), Imola DRS abnormal delay i get that, it shouldn't have been delayed for so long as track was dry and everyone was on slicks anyways and to me it looked artificial but it could also because of safety they delayed it and it ruined the race a bit, but nothing to cry about it either as it was same for everyone on grid.

emp
emp

Balalu wrote:
10 May 2022, 13:56
McLaren made an Andretti deal? 🫡

Edit: I've been click baited. Nothing to see here apparently. Keep scrolling...
Yeah, for Andretti to drive an old McLaren car at Austin I think.

djos

cliffgamerz wrote:
10 May 2022, 14:50
djos wrote:

What does Race directors have to do regarding issuing penalties, its not their fault as we have race stewards issuing them, Abu Dhabi was nothing to do with penalties and he wasn't sacked for that race alone (won't go into details), Imola DRS abnormal delay i get that, it shouldn't have been delayed for so long as track was dry and everyone was on slicks anyways and to me it looked artificial but it could also because of safety they delayed it and it ruined the race a bit, but nothing to cry about it either as it was same for everyone on grid.
The Race Director provides guidance to the stewards - eg Massi was the one who instigated the "have at it" attitude that stopped drivers from being penalised for minor collisions during overtake attempts as long as the drivers involved weren't crashed out of the race or severely disadvantaged.
"In downforce we trust"

runningmanz

Pretty fair article on Ricciardo from Foxsports apart from omitting how he got screwed over by red flags in Imola in Q3. One of best articles going around lately imo.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/motorsport ... 12cc274103

ScottR267

Odd however the stickers won’t appear on the car and driver overalls until the French Grand Prix

Ground Effect

ScottR267 wrote:
11 May 2022, 13:20

Odd however the stickers won’t appear on the car and driver overalls until the French Grand Prix
Isn't there a current partnership with ot a similar service? Maybe the current one needs to expire first?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

McL-H

runningmanz wrote:
11 May 2022, 07:23
Pretty fair article on Ricciardo from Foxsports apart from omitting how he got screwed over by red flags in Imola in Q3. One of best articles going around lately imo.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/motorsport ... 12cc274103
Truth is that people don’t pay any attention. They follow F1 by looking at scoring boards. Most people only watch Verstappen or Hamilton or Ferrari and they don’t pay attention to anything else. Then they see where Ricciardo finishes and they talk him down. So called “journalists” included. Ricciardo is part of our team and I will never forget his stellar drive at Monza last year. He brought us a victory after 9 very long years. Norris is yet to do that, while he had many opportunities. He’s doing great too though. We have a very strong driver line up as it is.

F1 is business though. If they go for an American driver I understand. But it would be because of money, not because of Danny’s performances.

runningmanz

Yeah luckily the team is not ruthless like RBR with their drivers or just look at results. Dan has a magnetic personality though not to mention vast experience and still a fast driver. So much still to offer the team. He is looking much better this year and it's only through bad luck of late that he hasn't qualified much higher up the grid. The team has two great drivers and bosses. Not to mention the rest of the personnel as well. Looking forward to this big update for Barcelona.

It's great to see how popular McLaren are especially in the US now. Zak seemed to be really happy too in the latest unboxed.