2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Swed3120

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Duplicate post; please delete
Last edited by Swed3120 on 22 May 2022, 03:18, edited 1 time in total.

Swed3120

Emag wrote:
22 May 2022, 01:56
Macklaren wrote:
22 May 2022, 01:34
Interesting dynamic with Lando being unwell this weekend. Didn't help the cause on his side of the garage. If we finish with both cars in the points tomorrow, that will be a good outcome with lots to play for in coming races. I think this update can really put us in the mix with the top 3 by mid June.
Lando being unwell really doesn't look good at all for Daniel, because Lando seemed to have the edge by a couple of tenths regardless.

Jeddah and Australia were very good races for him, but lately he hasn't been up to Lando's speed.
If where really Honest though, and disregard his very vocal devotees (who’s ire you have most definitely drawn) his stock fell significantly over the first half of last season and hasn’t really recovered since , I’m sure there are specific races where he’s performed marginally better ( I’m sure his fan club will be very quick to point those out ) , he just hasn’t been on pace overall.
TLDR: the usual 3-4 tenths of we’ve become used to seeing from Danny
[/quote]

runningmanz

Dan was up by 3 tenths at the end of Q1 on Lando and Lando only gained the 3 tenths at the end of Q2 by going off track. Not really a slam dunk in saying Lando is clearly faster in Spain imo. The last few qualli's at Miami and Imola you could argue Dan looked quite quick if not quicker than Lando over those sessions particularly Imola where he set the fastest first Q3 run of the two and was robbed of his second run. On race day there hasn't been alot between them usually. I don't think its fair to say Dan is nowhere near Lando this season, he's certainly had worse luck too.

MrGapes

runningmanz wrote:
22 May 2022, 06:03
Dan was up by 3 tenths at the end of Q1 on Lando and Lando only gained the 3 tenths at the end of Q2 by going off track. Not really a slam dunk in saying Lando is clearly faster in Spain imo. The last few qualli's at Miami and Imola you could argue Dan looked quite quick if not quicker than Lando over those sessions particularly Imola where he set the fastest first Q3 run of the two and was robbed of his second run. On race day there hasn't been alot between them usually. I don't think its fair to say Dan is nowhere near Lando this season, he's certainly had worse luck too.
Im sorry but there's no way he gained three tenths by going off track after turn 12... thats crazy, Lando was faster in Q1, Lando aborted his second lap in Q1 cause he made it safely through so we never saw a representative second lap...
Last edited by MrGapes on 22 May 2022, 08:34, edited 1 time in total.

PhillipM

3 tenths by running wide by 5mm? No.

MrGapes

I know it hurt Mclaren the most, But I do think FIA reinforcing the white line everywhere keeps it consistent, its the best way to avoid complications and arguments

runningmanz

Yeah fair enough on closer inspection not a full 3/10 because of that one turn but its still potentially gaining an advantage going off track to try and carry more speed through a portion of the track, doesn't really matter how close it is, the rules have to start somewhere and make it fair for those that are keeping their cars on track. That last run in Q1 before Lando aborted they were pretty even in the first 2 sectors.

PhillipM

Oh I've no issue with the track limits, they should just stick to that and make it consistant, but him running wide there by such a tiny amount will have been in the hundredths of a second at best, not even 1 tenth, never mind 3.

CjC
CjC

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/unwel ... /10308483/

In this article Ric is suggesting the car isn’t fully balanced yet so you would hope that there is still more potential in the new package.
Kind of reminds me of the Spanish upgrade package in 2019, didn’t see a massive step in Spain and Monaco but overall secured 4th (I’m not suggesting P4 is a slam dunk this season).

I’m concerned to see the not updated Haas still ahead but let’s just see how that pans out….

Also in the article Lando isn’t fully confident on race pace…
Just a fan's point of view

Marc.W

MrGapes wrote:
22 May 2022, 08:36
I know it hurt Mclaren the most, But I do think FIA reinforcing the white line everywhere keeps it consistent, its the best way to avoid complications and arguments
I agree, sucks that cost us a double Q3, but at least there is no grey area any more

Slahinki

CjC wrote:
22 May 2022, 09:36
I’m concerned to see the not updated Haas still ahead but let’s just see how that pans out….
Haas apparently brought a reinforced floor that has eliminated porpoising, and is allowing them to run lower. So while probably not a big update it has seemingly allowed them to unlock a lot of potential.

Emag

Honestly, after Bahrain I never expected them to even fight for P4 this season.

It looked unsalvagable, it was that bad. I feel like the expectation to fight with Mercedes for 3rd is missplaced. They had a clear limitation which at some tracks brought them closer to our level. Now that their limitation has been minimized, they are racing at their true potential.

McLaren never had a clear single limitation. In Bahrain the car looked horrible everywhere, and afterwards, even when it looked good, it was sort of "forcefully" pushed into a good operating window by running high wings, sacrificing a lot of straight line speed.

The new package should slowly bring improvements in laptime as they optimize the setup, but I don't think it will be enough to fight the top 3 this year.

Disappointing of course. We got blue balled hard by the Barcelona test as well, which makes it a double whammy.

I am sure we all wanted them to make the next step with the new regulations, but some things didn't go very smoothly during development. Considering where we came from, 4th isn't the end of the world.

I am just hoping the new tools that they will be getting soon, unlock more potential on development for next year.

mwillems

It's definitely not the best qualifying we've had, but the car has pace and is set up for the race. A good start by both of the drivers will change the shape of our race, all we can do is hope that we can jump a couple of positions at the start.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Big Tea

Marc.W wrote:
22 May 2022, 10:03
MrGapes wrote:
22 May 2022, 08:36
I agree, sucks that cost us a double Q3, but at least there is no grey area any more
A double edged sword. Had Mclaren been allowed 'just a little bit over' who knows which cars may also have been 'just a little bit over' somewhere else and had a better time anyway. I am glad to see a black/white limit here and we all know where we stand now.
Once everyone gets used to it it will become the norm, but yes, unlucky for Lando
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

CjC
CjC

Slahinki wrote:
22 May 2022, 10:13
CjC wrote:
22 May 2022, 09:36
Haas apparently brought a reinforced floor that has eliminated porpoising, and is allowing them to run lower. So while probably not a big update it has seemingly allowed them to unlock a lot of potential.
I did not know that. I was basing my assumption on Gunter Steiner saying that there isn’t an update for Spain, we’ll see the update in France and that he didnt think the lack of upgrade would hamper their competitiveness so after quali I was thinking that he was right :roll: ……
Just a fan's point of view