2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Swed3120

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

McL-H wrote:
22 May 2022, 19:06
First let the team built a good car ffs until we start blaming Daniel. He was given a McLaren capable of winning once, and he won. The team need to up their game. Our driver lineup is not the first issue here.

McLaren is way too distracted with Xtreme E, FE, IndyCar, etc. instead of directing all resources for the full 100% towards F1. It is showing..

During the years we attracted some big names that were supposed to bring us back to the front. Prodromou and Key are not delivering so far. Maybe we should had spend money to shop for some better team members, instead of waisting resources towards some racing competitions nobody cares about.
Im sorry but that statement is not just wrong , it’s also really really misplaced

Addressing your concerns:

Xtreme E , spec series , no simulator sessions allowed

Formula E , spec series where we simply bought out the Mercedes program , simply swap the logos on their ops and good to go

Indycar, which I would really recommend everyone to watch , is a completely different racing team who’s only real link to McLaren is sponsorship , also Spec series where the only thing you can develop is dampers.

F1, McLaren as an Organisation are operating above the cost cap for F1 and therefore need to find places to put money , spec series are perfect for that , why do you think Ferrari is looking at entering WEC cars

And lastly the personell,
James key is a proven championship winner and as for the rest , how exactly do you expect a midfield team , with midfield facilities & a midfield budget to suddenly jump to the front , this has never happened in the last 20 years of F1 , you mit remember brawn was essentially a Car developed by the massive Japanese car manufacturer

Im just not sure what people expect here , it’s like buying a flight on Ryanair and expecting first class service

the EDGE

Swed3120 wrote:
22 May 2022, 20:25
McL-H wrote:
First let the team built a good car ffs until we start blaming Daniel. He was given a McLaren capable of winning once, and he won. The team need to up their game. Our driver lineup is not the first issue here.

McLaren is way too distracted with Xtreme E, FE, IndyCar, etc. instead of directing all resources for the full 100% towards F1. It is showing..

During the years we attracted some big names that were supposed to bring us back to the front. Prodromou and Key are not delivering so far. Maybe we should had spend money to shop for some better team members, instead of waisting resources towards some racing competitions nobody cares about.
Im sorry but that statement is not just wrong , it’s also really really misplaced

Formula E , spec series where we simply bought out the Mercedes program , simply swap the logos on their ops and good to go

Indycar, which I would really recommend everyone to watch , is a completely different racing team who’s only real link to McLaren is sponsorship , also Spec series where the only thing you can develop is dampers.

F1, McLaren as an Organisation are operating above the cost cap for F1 and therefore need to find places to put money , spec series are perfect for that , why do you think Ferrari is looking at entering WEC cars

James key is a proven championship winner and as for the rest , how exactly do you expect a midfield team , with midfield facilities & a midfield budget to suddenly jump to the front , this has never happened in the last 20 years of F1 , you mit remember brawn was essentially a Car developed by the massive Japanese car manufacturer

Im just not sure what people expect here , it’s like buying a flight on Ryanair and expecting first class service
What championship has James Key won?

Swed3120

the EDGE wrote:
22 May 2022, 20:49
Swed3120 wrote:
22 May 2022, 20:25
McL-H wrote:

What championship has James Key won?
My bad; I mistook his career for someone else’s

thestig84

😄 it was going so well until the key championship bit! I agree with everything else you say about other racing activities though. It's just easy fodder for people that don't know better to pick up on. I don't know why I subject myself to this thread thanks to the same people. I was watching trackside today before any highly critical armchair expert's take offense. Put your money where you mouth is and support the team rather than constantly kicking them from your comfy keyboards

Swed3120

thestig84 wrote:
22 May 2022, 21:24
😄 it was going so well until the key championship bit! I agree with everything else you say about other racing activities though. It's just easy fodder for people that don't know better to pick up on. I don't know why I subject myself to this thread thanks to the same people. I was watching trackside today before any highly critical armchair expert's take offense. Put your money where you mouth is and support the team rather than constantly kicking them from your comfy keyboards
Completely agree with this , not sure who I was thinking of with a championship but oh well , how where the facilities , some friends where there today and said it was laughable

Darth-Piekus

Personally I refuse to accept that the current technical team isn't championship material. The fact remains that they are working with a huge handicap. We need to wait for the new Simulator which will be completed this year and the Wind Tunnel which will be completed next year. I now hope that once there are complete they will be better than the opposition.

PhillipM

All the glory seekers that jumped on as fans when they saw Mclaren climbing, expecting them to be the next top car so they could go "I was a fan before they were fast"
Backfired on 'em, now they just whine.

Spoutnik

I don't really know what to say about Ricciardo. Yersteday for once he outqualified Norris and then nightmare of a race again...

thestig84

Oh they were fairly appalling!! Luckily i scooted in from an Airbnb so didn't endure the train disaster, still was abused by security trying to lock it up. They have the front to have a sustainability stand yet do nothing to encourage anything but driving in (which was still a mess apparently). No water when even Silverstone provides that! I had a great 4 days but it sounds like I was just lucky! They even confiscate metal sun cream from people 🙄!?
Back on topic though I was on the pit straight as the team pack up in 37c ready for Monaco in a few days.... Just a gentle reminder for the folk here that happily and relentlessly criticise the team

billamend

Spoutnik wrote:
22 May 2022, 21:57
I don't really know what to say about Ricciardo. Yersteday for once he outqualified Norris and then nightmare of a race again...
"outqualified"... He never matched Norris, the fact that out-qualified Norris was pure chance.

Spoutnik

billamend wrote:
22 May 2022, 22:26
Spoutnik wrote:
22 May 2022, 21:57
"outqualified"... He never matched Norris, the fact that out-qualified Norris was pure chance.
Yes, Norris' lap was deleted for exceding track limits, but at least he was close.

Emag

thestig84 wrote:
22 May 2022, 21:58
Oh they were fairly appalling!! Luckily i scooted in from an Airbnb so didn't endure the train disaster, still was abused by security trying to lock it up. They have the front to have a sustainability stand yet do nothing to encourage anything but driving in (which was still a mess apparently). No water when even Silverstone provides that! I had a great 4 days but it sounds like I was just lucky! They even confiscate metal sun cream from people 🙄!?
Back on topic though I was on the pit straight as the team pack up in 37c ready for Monaco in a few days.... Just a gentle reminder for the folk here that happily and relentlessly criticise the team
I don't think it was that bad to be honest. We have to admit that at the moment McLaren is a midfield team, as they were in 2019 and 2020. Last year they made a substantial jump together with Ferrari to clear most of the midfield and we got used to seeing them beat pretty much every other team apart from Mercedes/RedBull.

Unfortunately, they took a step back this year (and to be fair Alfa and Haas have come up with pretty decent cars), so they are back to scrapping for points. The problem is, with Ferrari, RedBull and now Mercedes being detached from the rest of the field, that only leaves 4 positions which grant you points. Today, 5 were available because of Charles' retirement.

Given the circumstances and the realistic opponents, Lando was only beaten by Ocon and Bottas. Alfa had tremendous race pace today, so props to them. As for the Alpine, they were very similar, but inconsistent tire deg for McLaren gave Alpine the edge.

So yeah, all things considered, not a bad race imo. But only if you accept the reality of McLaren being back to the midfield. I still think they will manage to "break free" at some point in this season. I just hope if it does happen, it happens sooner rather than later.

johnny comelately

Any talk about a problem with Daniel's car?
Early on it was like he had a rock stuck under the throttle pedal.

Big Tea

Remember when we are giving Mclaren a hard time, the first 3 races very little development could be done due to the front brake problems.
It is not only the brake, but the aero around it which in turn feeds on to the floor and rear.
There was not point making any alterations other than patching as with the new ducts flows would be different. In realty, Mclaren are 2 or 3 races behind most others in development and understanding the setup of the car.

Fighting for podiums would be nice, but well into the top 10 with a sick driver is not that bad considering.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Swed3120

Emag wrote:
22 May 2022, 23:19
thestig84 wrote:
22 May 2022, 21:58
I don't think it was that bad to be honest. We have to admit that at the moment McLaren is a midfield team, as they were in 2019 and 2020. Last year they made a substantial jump together with Ferrari to clear most of the midfield and we got used to seeing them beat pretty much every other team apart from Mercedes/RedBull.

Unfortunately, they took a step back this year (and to be fair Alfa and Haas have come up with pretty decent cars), so they are back to scrapping for points. The problem is, with Ferrari, RedBull and now Mercedes being detached from the rest of the field, that only leaves 4 positions which grant you points. Today, 5 were available because of Charles' retirement.

Given the circumstances and the realistic opponents, Lando was only beaten by Ocon and Bottas. Alfa had tremendous race pace today, so props to them. As for the Alpine, they were very similar, but inconsistent tire deg for McLaren gave Alpine the edge.

So yeah, all things considered, not a bad race imo. But only if you accept the reality of McLaren being back to the midfield. I still think they will manage to "break free" at some point in this season. I just hope if it does happen, it happens sooner rather than later.
All valid points , but that wasn’t what this was about
Sorry that you mis-understood that, it was a response to the trackside conditions at Barcelona which apparently where not very good for the fans , nothing to ditch the teams performance