2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
runningmanz

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

aran.vtec wrote:
24 May 2022, 08:50
If anyone wants to understand Daniels performance woes they need to listen to the gypsy tales podcast you can see and hear his passion isn't in the sport anymore,
I didn't get that impression at all, he likes to do alot of stuff outside of F1 but once the helmet goes on he is as hard at it as anyone and hates losing. I reckon he'd be hurting at the moment and wanting more than ever to prove he still has it.

Emag

Last year I felt really bad for the guy, because to be honest, other drivers have complained about McLaren's peculiarity before, so I thought it was just a matter of slow adaption.

But coming into the new regs, I expected him to match Lando at least. Apart from one or two races, he hasn't been able to do that so far.

It's a bit disappointing because it looks like this year we are going to be needing all the points we can get.

I hope he manages to pick it up soon.

djos

He was actually looking really good until Barcelona. Tbh I think it was a huge mistake by Mclaren to not let both drivers run the new package from P1. IMO this would have really put Daniel on the back foot.
"In downforce we trust"

Ground Effect

djos wrote:
24 May 2022, 11:59
He was actually looking really good until Barcelona. Tbh I think it was a huge mistake by Mclaren to not let both drivers run the new package from P1. IMO this would have really put Daniel on the back foot.
The had to correlate the new bits and compare with current package, normal practice, isn't it?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Seerix

Daniel didn't even get much less time with the upgrade bcz Lando heavily damaged the car on curb in FP2 and could not drive afterwards. They both got ~2FPs with upgrades.

Swed3120

Just listened to the Race‘s podcast on The Spanish GP and heard a very interesting note on Ricciardo,
Apparently during an interview he was asked when he would start talking with McLaren about next years contract , to which Daniel responded: during the summer/in a few weeks, the Interviewer not remembering that last year he said it was a 3 year deal , when later asked to explain this , Daniel didn’t really give an answer. I guess this kind of gives a little window in to where dan and McLaren are in terms of there even being a „next year“

Later on after the race, Daniel Said he „hoped they find something wrong with the car“ I completely agree with the race that this points to a driver clutching at straws and a at a complete loss as to his own performance.

Podcast:

dfegan358

Is ricciardo contracted for 2023? If not do you think he will be extended?

mwillems

On this basis it is unlikely, unless he significantly lowers his salary demands which I doubt he will.

There are plenty of much cheaper drivers who could match this level in this car.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

continuum16

Hot take: poach Albon from Williams. He’s cheaper and would probably at least match DR’s results, plus he’s one of Lando’s best friends…
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

silver

I think they have probably signed a driver and my hunch is, it's probably Gasly.

djos

silver wrote:
25 May 2022, 06:04
I think they have probably signed a driver and my hunch is, it's probably Gasly.
He's a prima donna who couldn't cope with a faster teammate, so why would they sign him?
"In downforce we trust"

MrGapes

I know there’s a lot of chatter about replacing Daniel… but I think Daniel hasn’t been of the pace this year apart from the latest outing, I wouldn’t want the team to fall into a red bull situation where they cycle through teammates until they find someone that can match Lando, can we really be confident that the current available drivers on the grid can keep the gap as minimal as Daniel can?

CjC
CjC

It’s a shame Bottas is on a 2 year deal. I would have liked to see him next to Lando
Just a fan's point of view

djos

CjC wrote:
25 May 2022, 07:02
It’s a shame Bottas is on a 2 year deal. I would have liked to see him next to Lando
Bottas is fast, but his racing track record is poor.
"In downforce we trust"

silver

djos wrote:
25 May 2022, 06:18
silver wrote:
25 May 2022, 06:04
He's a prima donna who couldn't cope with a faster teammate, so why would they sign him?
It's first time I am hearing he has some issues. He had trouble coping with a difficult car on his first outing with a demanding team and against a highly talented team mate. Since his return to Alpha, he has fast improved and deserves a chance in a major team and with Perez doing what is expected of a No.2, it's difficult to slot Gasly back. On the basis of general outside observation, the younger lot, Gasly, Sainz, Verstappen, Leclerc and Lando gells well with each other without fuss. Gasly would be a good fit with Lando being the defacto No.1. There are not a lot of good race day drivers on the grid. Worst case scenario, Alonso would be a good temporary option for a year or two. Heck, even Vettel would be available for next year. :)