2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
runningmanz

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

adrianjordan wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 01:17
Swed3120 wrote:
02 Jul 2022, 17:04
Ah, I see Daniel is a back to his usual ways
Just like this thread every race weekend.

Why is it only McLaren fans who can't see the difference between a team thread and a race thread??

Come on guys. It's beyond annoying having to wade through page after page of, effectively, commentary about the practice sessions, qualifying and the race. There's a thread for that. The clue is in the name!!
Lighten up. If you don't like it don't read it. Alot of other forums do the same thing in the team thread.

Anyway while Dan's performance was disappointing it obviously wasn't a true indication of the gap. He said he set is fastest lap when the rain had just got heavier particularly in sector 2 and he also went off.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/vide ... 22358.html

Let's see what he can do in the dry when he was closer particularly on the mediums. Well done to Lando though for nailing it at the right time.

runningmanz

adrianjordan wrote:
Swed3120 wrote:

Why is it only McLaren fans who can't see the difference between a team thread and a race thread??

Come on guys. It's beyond annoying having to wade through page after page of, effectively, commentary about the practice sessions, qualifying and the race. There's a thread for that. The clue is in the name!!
Lighten up, we are not 'racing' yet either.
If you don't like it don't read it. Alot of other forums do the same thing in the team thread talking about the team drivers performances.

Anyway while Dan's performance was disappointing it obviously wasn't a true indication of the gap. He said he missed his best run when the rain had just got heavier particularly in sector 2 and he also went off.

Let's see what he can do in the dry when he was closer particularly on the mediums. Well done to Lando though for nailing it at the right time.
Last edited by runningmanz on 03 Jul 2022, 04:12, edited 2 times in total.

djos

Daniel was also stuck behind several cars in Q2 which will have hurt him from a visibility and aero pov.

Anyway, points get handed out on Sunday, so let’s see what happens tomorrow.
"In downforce we trust"

runningmanz

Yeah there was 4/10ths between them in Q1. Bit of a difference to 2.8 or so in Q2 where he had heavier rain, more spray and went off. Having said that Lando is great in the wet though. Looking forward to the race.

saviour stivala

lio007 wrote:
02 Jul 2022, 22:28
saviour stivala wrote:
02 Jul 2022, 00:50
Must have been a first in formula on that a mechanic is caught on camera trying to put a rear wheel on the other way round.
Yeah, this was really fun to watch...and the gunman just looking at it :) at the first moment I couldn't believe what I saw. This is why love this sport, they really thrive for perfection but sometimes things like that happen
https://twitter.com/EngineMode11/status ... qEjbA&s=19
Thanks for the video. Yes the gun-man just looked on, while the wheel handler was trying to figure out why the wheel would not dress over the drum. But what the video doesn’t show is a mechanic on the left signaling the wheel handler to turn-it round. Before all that, when the car was dropped to the ground with no wheels attached, was it a the jack-man that dropped the car or a fault with the jack?. Anyhow, from what was seen it looks like a single man will find it difficult to lift that car with a normal stand-by liver-jack.

mclaren111

JordanMugen wrote:
02 Jul 2022, 17:26
A.J.O wrote:
02 Jul 2022, 13:41
Keys CV is not as impressive but McLarens results took a jump up the grid when Key joined.
The car fix on the MCL33 resulting in the much improved MCL34 was headed by Pat Fry. But Fry was only on a short contract for some reason. I'm not too sure why Fry wasn't retained by McLaren? :?:

IIRC he wanted the Team Principal job & not Technical Director position...

adrianjordan

runningmanz wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 02:34
adrianjordan wrote:
Swed3120 wrote:

Lighten up. If you don't like it don't read it. Alot of other forums do the same thing in the team thread.

Anyway while Dan's performance was disappointing it obviously wasn't a true indication of the gap. He said he set is fastest lap when the rain had just got heavier particularly in sector 2 and he also went off.

I don't read it, I skip through page after page after page of the same handful of people. That is not what the TEAM thread is for. There is a RACE thread.

I know from discussions in the past that I am not the only user this annoys.

Also other forums, maybe, but not other teams on here. It's most of the reason this thread has so many more pages than any other TEAM thread.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

genarro

Any info on race pace?

Stig14

If F1 themselves are to be trusted, pretty close with Alpine but with little chance against the mercs. Both McLarens have one fewer sets of mediums compared to most other cars though which may make complicate matters. They will have to use all 3 compounds to do a 2 stop (which is expected to be the fastest way round today if it stays dry)

Emag

Stig14 wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 14:33
If F1 themselves are to be trusted, pretty close with Alpine but with little chance against the mercs. Both McLarens have one fewer sets of mediums compared to most other cars though which may make complicate matters. They will have to use all 3 compounds to do a 2 stop (which is expected to be the fastest way round today if it stays dry)
By little chance you mean no chance. Mercedes is closer to the front two teams. On a normal race we shouldn't be able to fight any of them.

SmallSoldier

adrianjordan wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 12:42
runningmanz wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 02:34
adrianjordan wrote:

I don't read it, I skip through page after page after page of the same handful of people. That is not what the TEAM thread is for. There is a RACE thread.

I know from discussions in the past that I am not the only user this annoys.

Also other forums, maybe, but not other teams on here. It's most of the reason this thread has so many more pages than any other TEAM thread.
Well, the race thread usually degenerates into tribalism and silly arguments between a couple of “camps”, making it impossible to actually discuss the performance of any team aside of those couple of camps… On the other hand, this is indeed the Team Thread, the place to discuss the Team’s performance, which is determine during the race weekend.

Discussing the Team Performance which will include, the strategy, the pit stops, the drivers themselves and their pace during the race can and should be discussed in this thread, the technical portion of the car itself has it’s own thread where these discussions can’t be had.

It is also the right place for the fans of the team to be able to discuss between each other… If not to discuss the team’s performance, what is this thread for?

SmallSoldier

genarro wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 13:36
Any info on race pace?
A good second behind the leaders and fighting with Alpine based on Friday’s running

Darth-Piekus

Can't say it was an idea start. Alonso got in 5th passing Norris but good for Daniel gaining 4 places.

Swed3120

Darth-Piekus wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 16:06
Can't say it was an idea start. Alonso got in 5th passing Norris but good for Daniel gaining 4 places.
At this point I’m just happy that we got through the carnage with Daniel, pretty much everybody around him is out.
I think lando got caught in the wrong end of Perez vs Alonso

Darth-Piekus

Well it's not over yet. He seems to be faster than the Alpines so far this weekend as is Perez so once Perez passes Alonso then Norris will have a chance passing Alonso as long as he keeps close unless he manages to make a good pass in the restart.

Still I think good start from Daniel who he passed 1 or 2 cars. However he must work on his fast lap as he is losing a lot of places from Qualifying.