2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Seerix
Seerix

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

They had almost full lap under SC to make a decision. Lando was not clear, he said hards are doing ok, but IMO this should be up to team to call it, as the driver often does not have clear picture about gaps. So after this full lap of deciding, Will called Lando into pit right by the pit entrance and Lando did not make it... so they pitted a lap later knowing they will lose position to ALO. Very strange decision if you ask me. Perhaps an instance when team having too much data actually made them undecisive about a pretty simple call.

McG

Are runningmanz and djos the same person with 2 accounts. Same walls of text making excuses for Ricciardo race after race. There was a user before that did this to get positive ratings and got caught.

10 races done 12 to go.
Norris 58 points, 7th in championship.

Ricciardo 15 points, 14th in championship.

McLaren need another top driver in the other car, not to baby Ricciardo until the end of his career.
F1 is dead.

Mansell89
Mansell89

Austria could be pretty horrible for our car you’d think. Red Bull should be incredible and I’d think Alpine will potentially cause Mercedes a problem in the fight for 3rd best.

Just can’t seem to shed the drag in comparison to others.

djos

McG wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 01:06
Are runningmanz and djos the same person with 2 accounts. Same walls of text making excuses for Ricciardo race after race. There was a user before that did this to get positive ratings and got caught.

10 races done 12 to go.

McLaren need another top driver in the other car, not to baby Ricciardo until the end of his career.
No we are not the same person! However we are both pragmatic and don’t subscribe to the alarmist rubbish that many of the members here constantly post!
"In downforce we trust"

McG

djos wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 01:40
McG wrote:

10 races done 12 to go.

No we are not the same person! However we are both pragmatic and don’t subscribe to the alarmist rubbish that many of the members here constantly post!
There's nothing alarmist about calling out a constantly underperforming driver. What you are is an apologist and may as well believe in the flying spaghetti monster. Ricciardo is not and has not been doing very well for 1½ seasons. He is getting slaughtered by Norris and some other drivers in slower cars. The points difference between Ricciardo and Norris is the biggest out of all the teams.
F1 is dead.

djos

McG wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 03:48
djos wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 01:40
McG wrote:

10 races done 12 to go.

There's nothing alarmist about calling out a constantly underperforming driver. What you are is an apologist and may as well believe in the flying spaghetti monster. Ricciardo is not and has not been doing very well for 1½ seasons. He is getting slaughtered by Norris and some other drivers in slower cars. The points difference between Ricciardo and Norris is the biggest out of all the teams.
The team screwed up his hot-lap timing in Q2, he did the best he could under the conditions he was driving in. In the race his car drove through a massive carbon fibre debris cloud and wasn't the same after that and his DRS failed with 30 laps to go. This happens in racing!

He has had so few trouble free runs this year it's amazing he has any points at all - heck, even in Baku he had a partial suspension failure!

And we have seen that when the team do get the car right, he drives flawlessly and can win races. I'm still waiting for Lando to win, what's your excuse for him throwing away his Russian GP opportunity?
"In downforce we trust"

Stig14
Stig14

Did they screw up his hot lap timing in Q2? I believe Daniel said himself that he messed up his own lap by going off/running wide when the conditions were best. He had the same run plan as Lando for Q2.

As for your final paragraph, the classic "my favourite driver's not rubbish, yours is" doesn't really wash here. Lando taking a 50/50 decision on the weather whilst outperforming Daniel considerably in Russia doesn't detract from Daniel's constant underperformance I'm afraid. A lot of the issues Daniel faces (and I agree he does face a fair few) come from him not being where he should be from his Saturday performances.

djos

Stig14 wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 07:56
Did they screw up his hot lap timing in Q2? I believe Daniel said himself that he messed up his own lap by going off/running wide when the conditions were best. He had the same run plan as Lando for Q2.
Yes, they sent him out too late for his second run when the track had been improving and suddenly the rain got heavier. The spin was a result of him pushing under worse conditions.
Stig14 wrote:
As for your final paragraph, the classic "my favourite driver's not rubbish, yours is" doesn't really wash here.
That is not what I said at all, I was merely making the point that folk are piling on Daniel, who happens to have the teams only recent race win, and giving Lando a free pass when things dont go his way. Daniel has had a single race without technical issues (Australia) this year, and yet the fair-weather fan bois here are piling on him like it's somehow 100% his fault.
"In downforce we trust"

Stig14
Stig14

djos wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 08:03
Stig14 wrote:
Yes, they sent him out too late for his second run when the track had been improving and suddenly the rain got heavier. The spin was a result of him pushing under worse conditions.
I just checked and they sent him out 20 seconds later, at the same time as Fernando. I don't think we can realistically suggest this was a deciding factor resulting in him setting a lap 2.5 seconds slower than Lando and 2.1 seconds down on Fernando in Q2.

djos

So you are trying to tell me that heavier rain doesn’t reduce grip? 🤦‍♂️
"In downforce we trust"

Stig14
Stig14

I'm trying to tell you that heavier rain was heavier for everyone buddy. Plenty of people improved their laps after Daniel. We're clearly not going to agree on this so I suggest we move on.

We're on track in Austria in just a few days. I'm thinking it will be a tough fight for points here. A strong middle sector might mitigate some of the drag but with the sprint race, we might go backwards more readily than at a normal race. That being said, the team clearly know how to set up a car to go fast round here (with Lando on the front row here last year) so perhaps there's something to be said for that!

BrunoH
BrunoH

yeah they need to cut the drag, the car always looks underpowered ( but its just a lot of drag )

genarro
genarro

BrunoH wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 11:11
yeah they need to cut the drag, the car always looks underpowered ( but its just a lot of drag )
If they can retain their level of downforcr and shed some drag there is probably a decent amount of lap time to gain

Emag
Emag

To be honest, from a completely objective standpoint, you just have to admit that ever since Daniel joined McLaren he has not lived up to his expectations. He has in fact been very underwhelming in what he has managed to deliver for the team.

You can discuss about reasons regarding his disappointing performances, but you can't keep excusing his shortcomings to Lando. The reason why he qualified P14 last race is not because the team "screwed him over". He qualified P14 because that's the position his best Q2 lap put him on. He was out at the same time as Lando, and he failed to get even marginally close to the laptime his teammate put in.

So please, stop trying to put his failure on the team. He simply failed to deliver, as he has done in numerous occasions ever since he joined McLaren.

McL-H
McL-H

Ricciardo. I really like the bloke. Just wished he had performed better with us. But F1 is not a charity fund. When you don’t deliver, you need to go. Simple as that.

Had this been MotoGP he would had been ditched long time ago.