2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
the EDGE

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

geogate wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 23:01
McL-H wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 22:43
Perez and Bottas are not bad drivers. It’s just that their teammates came from a different planet. It could be very well that this time next year, Norris has ended Piastri’s career.
If Piastri is on a par with Ricciardo's delta to Norris in his rookie F1 season, no one is going to be critical. All people will want to see from him is upward progression, not stagnation
Really? Every decent driver that I can remember, from Lewis to Carlos to Lando, has been a lot closer to their team mate in their first year than Daniel has been to Lando

2-3 tenths, on average, would be acceptable

6 or more tenths would would be unacceptable IMO

anywhere in between would be questionable

mwillems

Motörhead wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 22:55
mwillems wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 22:46
Big Tea wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 22:00

It just means the contract between the team and the driver is recognised to prevent dual contracts. I don't think the content of the contract matters and is for another body to decide. Not sure though, possibly the same 'board' but a different part of it
Thanks for that. Hopefully it will be resolved before the end of August, I doubt anyone wants this to drag on.
Get out of here! You guys are loving this…..
🤣
Hahaha!

I very much enjoyed the Piasco!! Lol But I have no interest in Daniel being treated badly, I do think he's a top guy.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

CjC
CjC

RedNEO wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 19:47
I’m not getting the impression McLaren fans are ecstatic about Piastri joining on all platforms.. seems fairly muted surprisingly
As a Mclaren fan I’m not even sure if Piastri will race for the team next season!!😂

I was muted when the line up was Carlos and Lando pre 2019…. Look how that turned out👍🏻
I was stoked when Ricciardo signed pre 2020… look how that turned out🙈
Think I’ll keep my expectation muted till we see the laptimes…🤣
Just a fan's point of view

SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
RedNEO wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 20:56
mwillems wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 20:46
It's different as they are replacing their best performer and one of the best on the grid.

Replacing Dani is not the same situation.
They treated there best performer like stale bread that was about to be thrown away.. can’t blame Alonso for jumping ship.. the management is all over the place with there confusing messaging. It’s not like they were about to challenge for a championship next year so I don’t see what exactly alpine were trying to do here.

Yeah I agree. I don't mean to disrespect Ocon but he should have been replaced by Piastri, but patriotism got in the way of rational judgement.
I don’t know about that… Alonso is great, but Ocon was their long term bet… They had to make a decision, either continue with a short term fantastic driver (Alonso) or a long term high potential driver (Piastri)… The problem for Alpine was trying to have both at the same time and it just wasn’t possible, they didn’t only believed that they could, they were sure they had all the cards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JPower

McL-H wrote:
That sums it all up doesn’t it. But let’s not forget Lando is on-par with the likes of Hamilton and Verstappen. Changing the 2nd driver might not lead to different results. I mean, we’ve seen the same last year between Verstappen/Perez and to a lesser degree Hamilton/Bottas. Perez and Bottas are not bad drivers. It’s just that their teammates came from a different planet. It could be very well that this time next year, Norris has ended Piastri’s career.
You never saw that from Bottas. If there's one thing he does well, its qualifying.

McL-H

JPower wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 23:58
McL-H wrote:
That sums it all up doesn’t it. But let’s not forget Lando is on-par with the likes of Hamilton and Verstappen. Changing the 2nd driver might not lead to different results. I mean, we’ve seen the same last year between Verstappen/Perez and to a lesser degree Hamilton/Bottas. Perez and Bottas are not bad drivers. It’s just that their teammates came from a different planet. It could be very well that this time next year, Norris has ended Piastri’s career.
You never saw that from Bottas. If there's one thing he does well, its qualifying.
No, not qualifying. But his performance overall. He got destroyed on race day.

RedNEO

mwillems wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 21:52
RedNEO wrote:
mwillems wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 20:46
It's different as they are replacing their best performer and one of the best on the grid.

Replacing Dani is not the same situation.
They treated there best performer like stale bread that was about to be thrown away.. can’t blame Alonso for jumping ship.. the management is all over the place with there confusing messaging. It’s not like they were about to challenge for a championship next year so I don’t see what exactly alpine were trying to do here.

Yeah I agree. I don't mean to disrespect Ocon but he should have been replaced by Piastri, but patriotism got in the way of rational judgement.
That’s why I worry for Ricciardo if he goes there.. this isn’t the same team he left.

RedNEO

SmallSoldier wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 23:57
mwillems wrote:
RedNEO wrote:

I don’t know about that… Alonso is great, but Ocon was their long term bet… They had to make a decision, either continue with a short term fantastic driver (Alonso) or a long term high potential driver (Piastri)… The problem for Alpine was trying to have both at the same time and it just wasn’t possible, they didn’t only believed that they could, they were sure they had all the cards

If Ocon is there long term bet they should be happy then right?

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
mwillems wrote:
RedNEO wrote:

Ocon is Mr Reliable I think, always good to have one around but if they signed Piastri and dumped Ocon then they could have kept Alonso for another 2 years I think and he'd have done a great job, ready to hand the Baton over to a younger guy.

I don't think Ocon will ever propel them to the levels they want to hit. He's never finished a year ahead of his team mate in the standings, he's just a journeyman. For me, I would not have kept him at Alpine of Alonso and Piastri.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

SmallSoldier

RedNEO wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 00:09
SmallSoldier wrote:
mwillems wrote:

If Ocon is there long term bet they should be happy then right?
He is in 3 - 4 year contract isn’t he? That’s long term by F1 standards

SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 00:10
SmallSoldier wrote:
mwillems wrote:

Ocon is Mr Reliable I think, always good to have one around but if they signed Piastri and dumped Ocon then they could have kept Alonso for another 2 years I think and he'd have done a great job, ready to hand the Baton over to a younger guy.

I don't think Ocon will ever propel them to the levels they want to hit. He's never finished a year ahead of his team mate in the standings, he's just a journeyman. For me, I would not have kept him at Alpine of Alonso and Piastri.
Can’t argue with your view of Ocon… I have him in a similar bracket as Perez, Gasly or Bottas, a reliable driver that is not a bad idea to have in your car… I could even place him in a similar position as Massa, a solid driver that in a good car could have good races and a good season, based on his age, he could stay in Alpine for foreseeable future… Is he someone that gives you Lewis, Max, Charles vibes? Not really, but is a good bet if you are looking for someone that could be part of your team for the long haul… That’s why for me, the decision with Alonso and Piastri was one of short term results (which Alonso can bring you) or a potential long term star (which Piastri seem to be)…

Let’s keep in mind that Ocon was already on a long term journey with Alpine before this whole situation and that decision of having him long term was already made… Afterwards, instead of either offering Alonso a 2-3 year deal (and potentially losing Piastri) or taking the risk and simply giving the seat to Piastri, they decided to try to have both of them, one in a 1+1 deal and the other one in a loan to another team with the option to bring him in later… In my opinion, that’s the mistake they made, they had to make up their minds quick regarding those two and they simply didn’t.

A lot of comparisons to Russell have been made, but I believe the situations are different, simply because Alpine isn’t Mercedes… The prize for Piastri wasn’t to be in the most successful team of the hybrid era… No point in waiting patiently until the opportunity arrived if you had a better opportunity in front of you (McLaren)

djos

McL-H wrote:
Daniel has beaten Max in the same car, Vettel in the same car and stolen wins from the most dominant team ever to exist in F1, Mercedes.

It’s clear where the problem lies, Mclaren’s car philosophy!
"In downforce we trust"

Zynerji

djos wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 02:04
McL-H wrote:
Daniel has beaten Max in the same car, Vettel in the same car and stolen wins from the most dominant team ever to exist in F1, Mercedes.

Lando"s doing it..🙄

djos

Zynerji wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 02:29
djos wrote:
McL-H wrote:

Lando"s doing it..🙄
No one is denying that. In his own words:
it's not an easy thing to adapt to that, like holding the brake in some sorts of corners that you don't feel like you want to hold the brake in, and then doing the opposite in other corners.
I think the theory from Damon Hill has merit; that Lando is better able to adapt because he grew up racing home simulators which require driving to the data, instead of the feel of the car.

Clearly this wasn’t an issue at RedBull, TR or Renault. Or for that matter the crap-box at HRT!
"In downforce we trust"

Zynerji

djos wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 02:34
Zynerji wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 02:29
djos wrote:

Lando"s doing it..🙄
No one is denying that. In his own words:
it's not an easy thing to adapt to that, like holding the brake in some sorts of corners that you don't feel like you want to hold the brake in, and then doing the opposite in other corners.
I think the theory from Damon Hill has merit; that Lando is better able to adapt because he grew up racing home simulators which require driving to the data, instead of the feel of the car.

Clearly this wasn’t an issue at RedBull, TR or Renault. Or for that matter the crap-box at HRT!
Webber said the same about Vettel and the blown diffusor.

Get good or get out, tho. I'd have Herta in for Spa if he qualifies for the Super Licence.

But I'm a brutal businessman that doesn't let my mathematics be influenced by my empathy nor emotion. Daniel is not performing, period. Next option please.