2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
politburo

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

I just hope they can make an announcement soon, perhaps clearing the air and removing all the clutter and uncertainty will allow Ric to perform well on his way out having not to think about this situation.
"Nosotros diferimos, pero nosotros todos son iguales"

djos

politburo wrote:
08 Aug 2022, 18:21
djos wrote:
08 Aug 2022, 13:43
Ben1980 wrote:
08 Aug 2022, 13:35
I'd dare say, as mentioned, evert car is unique.
This is a BS line, Daniel has driven the worst car on the grid (HRT) through to a mid pack car (TR & Renault) to a top 2 car (RBR) and adapted just fine (including a big regulation change to the wide track cars while at RBR).

Yes all the cars are unique, but Daniel has adapted to the other 4 cars just fine. That says more about the Mclaren than Daniel IMHO.
You keep talking about the past and not now, HRT, TR and RedBull are nearly half a decade ago now. How is it McLaren's fault he has not adapted to two different iterations of their F1 cars when his teammate has adapted and maximised the most out of both?
If you can’t figure that out by yourself, then I can’t help you!
"In downforce we trust"

runningmanz

Ok just to muddy the waters even more this is a tweet from one of Dan's mechanics. I don't get why he would tweet this unless he is out of the loop?? Strange.

djos

Here’s An interesting article with quotes from Daniel:

https://apple.news/A9El9RSR2Srut6yzu0mtGXg
“But this year, there’s more understanding and they know me now after a year, so I think it’s very clear what I like in a car, and even I’ve found this out.

“So when I struggle, the team now are like ‘oh, I can see it in the data, this is what Daniel is feeling and he’s proven in the last 18 months this is what he doesn’t like to feel. This is what’s holding him back from pushing the car to the limit, it’s this area here’.
"In downforce we trust"

Lucky

A bad workman blames his tools

politburo

djos wrote:
08 Aug 2022, 23:54
politburo wrote:
08 Aug 2022, 18:21
djos wrote:
08 Aug 2022, 13:43

This is a BS line, Daniel has driven the worst car on the grid (HRT) through to a mid pack car (TR & Renault) to a top 2 car (RBR) and adapted just fine (including a big regulation change to the wide track cars while at RBR).

Yes all the cars are unique, but Daniel has adapted to the other 4 cars just fine. That says more about the Mclaren than Daniel IMHO.
You keep talking about the past and not now, HRT, TR and RedBull are nearly half a decade ago now. How is it McLaren's fault he has not adapted to two different iterations of their F1 cars when his teammate has adapted and maximised the most out of both?
If you can’t figure that out by yourself, then I can’t help you!
I have figured it out actually, Ricciardo is just not as good as you think he is. Done and dusted.

politburo

Lucky wrote:
09 Aug 2022, 07:29
Quite strange when the workman has had 13 good race weeks plus 2 weeks in preseason of practice with those tools to be familiarised with those tools.

FittingMechanics

I don't get why are we debating this? Does it matter who is at fault for Ricciardo's inability to adapt to the car. Is the car wrong or is Ricciardo unable to adapt to it. In the end it doesn't matter, the end result is the same.

Car cannot be changed by signing one contract so it's easier to try and find a driver that fits rather than re-engineering the car to work in a different way. The team should think about this though, maybe the direction they are working in has a fundamental issue but it's a long term process, not something you can change over night.

I hope that Ricciardo does stellar job in his next team, he is a fun guy to watch and it's hard to see him struggle.

Juzh

PlatinumZealot wrote:
07 Aug 2022, 16:39
McLaren is exceeding expectations if the reports about their wind tunnel are true. Once that upgrade is in full swing, I guarantee you we will see them fighting for wins again.
What a short sighted statement. Im literally hearing this same story since 2013. They probably only need just another 10 odd years and they'll make it.

Oleo

politburo wrote:
09 Aug 2022, 09:21
Lucky wrote:
09 Aug 2022, 07:29
Quite strange when the workman has had 13 good race weeks plus 2 weeks in preseason of practice with those tools to be familiarised with those tools.

2 weeks? One of Ricciardos bad lucks is having covid during bahrain preseason, missing that week, valuable practice time with a new car in new regulations and having the team work with just Norris' input to finetune that new car. Even then apart from a few bad qualis he is near/on par on racepace within a few tenths of Norris who I think is the better driver.

It is clear though that he is not the right fit and has not delivered the points, thus mclaren should seek replacement if an opportunity is available.

mwillems

runningmanz wrote:
09 Aug 2022, 04:37
Ok just to muddy the waters even more this is a tweet from one of Dan's mechanics. I don't get why he would tweet this unless he is out of the loop?? Strange.

It's totally true though, we have no idea if he will stay or go, just that it seems talks are underway to work out the way forward.

I wonder if he is really talking about this site as well as twitter. I'm sure some engineers and F1 folks will look at this forum.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

the EDGE

mwillems wrote:
09 Aug 2022, 14:45
runningmanz wrote:

It's totally true though, we have no idea if he will stay or go, just that it seems talks are underway to work out the way forward.
I was of the same opinion, however having had nothing but radio silence from McLaren then clearly something is afoot

If what was being said was not true, McLaren would’ve denied it by now. There is no way they would let this drag out throughout the media as it would clearly be detrimental to Daniel

McL-H

runningmanz wrote:

Maybe they are replacing him with one of Piastri’s Alpine mechanics too :lol:

mwillems

the EDGE wrote:
09 Aug 2022, 16:09
mwillems wrote:
09 Aug 2022, 14:45
runningmanz wrote:

I was of the same opinion, however having had nothing but radio silence from McLaren then clearly something is afoot

If what was being said was not true, McLaren would’ve denied it by now. There is no way they would let this drag out throughout the media as it would clearly be detrimental to Daniel
I'm certain they are in talks, but Im not certain who holds what cards and what the incentives are.

Is there a guaranteed seat clause for instance or if the interest from others teams is concrete or polite.
It may be that the delay is Dan seeing if he can get a seat somewhere interesting.

I suspect this process is led by Dan and Mclaren will just follow his lead now he knows the team would like him put of the seat.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

PlatinumZealot

I think he's gone. Sotuation is too messy to stay. It now must be a matter of how much money can Ricciardo salvage out of ths divorce
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏